Game of Thrones 5E Project - Knight Class (Spell-less Paladin)

EditorBFG

Explorer
Sadly I still don't have time to really dig as deep into this class as it deserves. But since nobody else is saying much:

I love the new powers. That's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind when I suggested expanding conviction into the other pillars.

The main thing I don't feel like I have a good opinion on is the fine tuning... Do the dice involved allow for any particularly over or under powered results that may not be intended? Haven't looked close enough to know, but that'd be my number 1 question if I was running this. E.g. Is adding a theoretical +10 (uncommon but by no means unreasonable on a d12 conviction) to social checks on a person for 10 minutes too much?
Hmm.... Maybe advantage on social checks for a number of minutes equal to the conviction die roll?
How does the math on conviction X4 compare to paladin smite? It's basically +4 in both cases but that's not totally accurate. Accurate enough for our purposes? At level one, 4d4 v 2d8 is slightly better.

I dunno. I think it looks good overall. Probably good enough for play testing.
The math is like this:
4d4= Average roll 10, max roll 16
1st level slot (2d8)= Average roll 9, max roll 16

4d6= Average roll 14, max roll 24
2nd level slot (3d8)= Average roll 13.5, max roll 24

4d8 Conviction is the same as the 4d8 for a 3rd level spell slot, obviously

4d10= Average roll 22, max roll 40
4th level slot (5d8) = Average roll 22.5, max roll 40

4d12= Average roll 26, max roll 48
4th level slot (6d8) = Average roll 27, max roll 40

As you can see, it is pretty close! Slightly higher averages for 1st and 2nd level slots, no difference for 3rd level slots, and slightly lower average for 4th and 5th level slots.

Thank you for any and all feedback.

EditorBFG

Explorer
As a class, this looks cool. However you need another healing mechanic. Paladins also used the spells for healing rarely. Also, exploration and interaction features are needed.
Minigiant, can you explain your observation about healing? I feel like I built in a lot of healing, so how do I need to alter or add to those options to make things work? I hope you saw I added some exploration and interaction options.
Although a good class, it doesn't capture the knight of ASoIaF anymore than a fighter with the noble, knight, or soldier background.
If you assume for a moment that a separate knight class is the goal, what changes would you make to make it capture the ASoIaF model of major character knighthood, as demonstrated by characters like Jaime Lannister, Jorah Mormont, Loras Tyrell, Brienne of Tarth, Arthur Dayne, etc.?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Minigiant, can you explain your observation about healing? I feel like I built in a lot of healing, so how do I need to alter or add to those options to make things work? I hope you saw I added some exploration and interaction options

Paladins had spells like
Lesser Restoration
Find Steed
Zone of Truth
Dispel Magic
Remove Curse

If you make a "spell-less" paladin, you need to add nonmagical healing and travel features.

.If you assume for a moment that a separate knight class is the goal, what changes would you make to make it capture the ASoIaF model of major character knighthood, as demonstrated by characters like Jaime Lannister, Jorah Mormont, Loras Tyrell, Brienne of Tarth, Arthur Dayne, etc.?

Noncombat features.

The main difference between a knight or lord in ASoIaF and a regular skilled mercenary is noncombat.
Appraisal
Economics
History of other families
Commanding armies and navies
Judging responses and sensing motives

The part you miss is you are focusing on the best warriors and ignoring the mental "knights" like Twin Lannister, Roose Bolton, and Stannis Baratheon. Almost every noble male in the setting was trained to fight and in their youth could slaughter many men and duel other knights. Jamie and his father were the same class it's just that Jamie was higher level and had better physical stats due to still being young. The Baratheon brothers where the same class and level but with different ability scores.

The knight class in that setting would be a combat/interaction class with some exploration based on mounts.

Remove ads