Game system for classic D&D modules

What game system would you recommend I look at for playing classic modules (Saltmarsh, Dunwater, Keep on the Borderlands, Desert of Desolation).

D&D 5E has been disappointing me more and more, with inconsistent features and mechanics (ability checks vs saving throws vs other saving throws vs attack rolls vs whatever else there is). I also feel that more and more of my time at tables is listening to people argue about Actions vs actions, and come up with cheesy ways to cast spells while holding weapons and shields. Also, it's been three years and I still get players misunderstanding Bonus Actions. I don't know how much of this is the system's fault, but right now I'd like to look at other systems.

What do I want?

To run classic modules. I think this counts out the narrative-heavy systems (in particular Dungeon World, which I love). Perhaps I'm wrong? Let me know.

To run games longer than one-shots. In D&D 5E terms, a game that runs from levels 1 to 8.

A nero-to-hero feeling. I want the beginning characters to be better than zero-power peasants but not heroes. I want the characters to grow into the hero role.

Levels to mean things. I don't want a system where the players say, "Yay, a level up, that means I get, umm, slightly better at fighting I guess."

ccs

41st lv DM
Answer this question:
"My favorite edition of D&D/other D&Dish system is __."

Whatever you fill in the blank with? That's what you should use.

Right now? I'm prepping to run Desert of Desolation in PF2. :)
It'll be the first time I've ever kicked off a new edition by not using Keep on the Borderlands.
Well, that's not quite true.... I'm going to stick the Caves in a hex & re-skin it as an Egyptian style valley of tombs. If the players blunder across it. :) If they don't, that's also cool.

darjr

I crit!
I think all games could have similar issues but here goes.

Searchers of the unknown is a one page game designed to run those old classic modules.

aramis erak

Legend
What game system would you recommend I look at for playing classic modules (Saltmarsh, Dunwater, Keep on the Borderlands, Desert of Desolation).
[snip]

What do I want?

To run classic modules. I think this counts out the narrative-heavy systems (in particular Dungeon World, which I love). Perhaps I'm wrong? Let me know.

To run games longer than one-shots. In D&D 5E terms, a game that runs from levels 1 to 8.

A nero-to-hero feeling. I want the beginning characters to be better than zero-power peasants but not heroes. I want the characters to grow into the hero role.

Levels to mean things. I don't want a system where the players say, "Yay, a level up, that means I get, umm, slightly better at fighting I guess."
D&D Cyclopedia would be recommend #1 for me... same rules as BX/BECMI (with a few important wording changes.)
Monster blocks require few or no changes. The optional rules for skills and weapon mastery are simple, but effective.
It's available via DTRPG

Second choice: Tunnels and Trolls.
Note that T&T isn't D&D, so conversion will be needed... but... it's fast, it's simple, and it's as light a game as I will willingly play..
MR is the one key stat for monsters... and there are three approaches I've used over the years, and all work reasonably well:
MR = HP - makes it fast and easy, but... monsters become a bit too crunchy
MR = 10*HD - also fast, and makes HD also the attack dice of the monster.
hybrid: MR = HP + 5*HD - more mathy, but...
If the monster has special attacks, make a judgement call on how many 6's are needed to trigger it.
If the critter has a tough hide, each point of AC other than from dexterity is 1 point of armor. (MR critters in T&T usually don't get armor.)
Spells: wing it. T&T 7, 7.5, & D uses spite for MR Monsters
If you get character stats, the scale is the same, and they operate exactly like PCs.

Bluenose

Adventurer
I'd suggest the most important thing is using a system you are familiar with, as that's going to make it much easier than learning a new system while playing with modules written for another one. On the other hand if you're willing to work around that I can suggest three non-D&D systems.

1. Fantasy Age. Probably the easiest to convert, with systems including class and level that are closer to D&D than some alternatives. A reasonable amount of the work to convert monsters has been done already either in the Bestiary or on the GR forums. You won't see the high rate of power inflation you get with D&D, but IMO low-level characters are probably a little stronger than in D&D even if they don't reach the same power level at higher points.

2. Pendragon, 4th edition (because that's the edition where PC casters are developed). Not an obvious choice, of course, lacking classes and levels and with most PCs being generated as knights. There's enough versatility in the system to make this a workable choice, but I'd also recommend getting the Pendragon Pass rules from David Dunham's site for a different approach to magic.

3. Conan, the Modiphius 2d20 version. It's the least conventional of the three systems and you'd need to design most of the monsters yourself (though there are some people working on D&D conversions on the Modiphius forums). There's a lot more character archetypes covered than in Pendragon but it's not class-based and there's a lot of freedom to make a character the way you want - or to generate them randomly and have a useful character. Magic won't be as immediately powerful as in D&D so that might work against some expectations at points in the modules, but there's more scope for useful magic that in Pendragon. It does have some systems that have been called "narrative", so that might be a point against it. There's a free version on DTRPG that is worth looking through if it sounds like you might like it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases