Game system for classic D&D modules

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
On the contrary, that is helpful. It's something I hadn't actually thought of, but several people here have said "why not run 1e?" so now I am thinking of it.

AD&D is eminently playable. I actually like that character classes progress at different rates, have nifty titles, etc. Main thing is to have those charts handy.

Zardnaar

Legend
On the contrary, that is helpful. It's something I hadn't actually thought of, but several people here have said "why not run 1e?" so now I am thinking of it.

You can houserule AD&D as well especially if you don't like THAC0, we don't use it anymore.

Did you check out the links to Basic Fantasy? its dirt cheap/free and its ideal for running older stuff.

Do you have any objections to running clones of older editions or if those clones use ascending numbers? Do you want to spend money or do it on the cheap/free, can you print stuff out for potential players?

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Given some of your complaints, I don't think 1e will fix them. Despite our collective positive memories of it, its honestly a hodgepodge of weird subsystems etc. If you're players have trouble with remembering how bonus actions work....I don't think that it will get better with all the weird mechanics.

Personally, if you like Dungeon World, I'd go for it. There's even other Basic-er Apocalypse Engine games out there for dungeoneering. I can't imagine that conversion couldn't be done on-the-fly. (Especially since all the rolls are player-facing, you only need to come up with HP for the monsters.)

I'm also not so sure that you couldn't run a stripped-down version of Fate Accelerated. Again, conversion on the fly is probably okay.

Another game that jumped out to me is Strike! Its got a super-simple system using only a d6, and detailed tactical combat is totally optional.

jmhimara

Explorer
Obviously, any older editions of D&D (OD&D, BECMI, B/X, RC, AD&D, etc.) will do. Same with any OSR clones. Despite their differences, the experience should be more or less the same regardless of what D&D variant you go with.

Now for a completely different experience: A while back my friends and I ran a bunch of old school modules (including The Keeps on the Borderlands) using the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy RPG. It worked spectacularly. In fact, I had a much better time going through these modules with GURPS than I did with D&D (specifically LotFP and Labyrinth Lord). GURPS is obviously more crunchy than Old School D&D, but a lot of that is optional. The system is highly customization, and you can take from it whatever you want. Plus, the Dungeon Fantasy edition of it makes significantly easier to run a fantasy game than the rest of GURPS.

I strongly recommend it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
To run classic modules. I think this counts out the narrative-heavy systems (in particular Dungeon World, which I love). Perhaps I'm wrong? Let me know.

If you're comfortable with Dungeon World (and can effectively teach it to your players) then I'd suggest going for it. Convert it over. You've got the old adventures, you understand D&D well enough, those two factors should help you convert it to offer as similar an experience as you can get.

I admit, there's some art to converting modules and capturing the same feel - even between D&D editions. I've seen some really questionable interpretations from time to time. But I recommend giving it a go. And if you have questions, post them here. Chances are there's someone with experience with the modules or owning copies of them who will be able to help you suss out the important factors that you might want to emphasize in your Dungeon World version of the classic modules.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases