• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Systems to Try

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
I also recommend Savage Worlds if you want a simple and quick rule system.

On the other end of the spectrum, I also recommend GURPS - which will permit you to run games in settings and character types you never could do in most other games. GURPS is perfect for worldbuilders who want to be able to tune their settings in whatever way they want without having to rewrite the rules to make them fit.

Play all your standard D&D character concepts. Play a vampire or a lich. Play a dragon. Play a sapient golem. Play a disembodied spirit taking possession of other people.

All of these are easily done with the GURPS core rules.

Jhaelen

First Post
If you want to look into other systems to mine them for ideas, I'll recommend Ars Magica. Especially, if you're interested in a somewhat realistic medieval setting incorporating the supernatural. The source books are imho, fantastic, well researched and full of story ideas.

GlassJaw

Hero
Another vote for Savage Worlds. It's my go-to system when I want something different than D&D. Can be learned quickly, plays fast, and can be adapted to almost any campaign setting you can imagine. Just a brilliant game.

It is long out of print, but 7th Sea is a great game. Religion, Pirates, War, Romance, Magic, and Ancient Civilizations set against the backdrop of renaissance. It is probably my favorite rpg.

Ycore Rixle

First Post
If you want to try something very different from D&D, check out My Life with Master from Half-Meme press. It's a short, interesting read, and it plays well as a break from a years-long campaign.

Cthulhutech, as mentioned above, is a fun read too. Mecha + cthulhu, with a "logical" explanation for mecha based on the arcanotech of the Strange Aeon. I haven't played it. But I have heard that you need to be careful to make sure the PCs are compatible with each other - a mecha pilot, a sorcerer, and a tager don't have the same sort of missions and it might be difficult to run a campaign where they all participate. But if you do focus the characters, I can see the game going in all sorts of fun directions.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Exalted yet. It's sophisticated anime where the characters are all godlings. I know you wanted "cool game systems" recommendations, and actually I can't vouch for Exalted on that score, personally. But I do have friends who love it, especially for the setting. And while the rules aren't my cup of tea, a lot of people really get into the mechanics and character optimization for combat.

I have to get a plug in for my game, too. If you can wait 'til August, I recommend Spellbound Kingdoms. It's a Renaissance RPG with zeppelins, wheel locks, rapiers, and sorcerous thought police. Check it out in the sig!

kitsune9

Adventurer
I have both editions of Warhammer. They are awesome systems though WFRP 2nd edition is a more uniform. I don't know about WoD or Nobillus though.

I have heard Savage Worlds is a cool system from reviews on youtube and have thought about pulling it up.

If you like rules crunch, GURPS, HARP, and Herosystem are good games.

If you like sci-fi and fluff, go for Fading Suns just for the setting. For a system to run it, I'd choose Dark Heresy or the upcoming Rogue Trader.

Of course, another good sci-fi is Traveller and I liked all the editions and the variants too (GURPS, T20).

For some old games, if you can find it, Alternity along with Dark Matter is pretty cool.

Anyways, I'm sure that others have got some of their favorites too so that should give you some ideas. Happy Gaming!

Greg K

Legend
- Mutants and Masterminds 2e: My favorite RPG
- Warriors and Warlocks ( a fantasy supplement for Mutants and Masterminds)

- Cinematic Unisystem looks interesting even if I hate the small list of broad skills.
- Cortex looks interesting and is designed with tinkering in mind
- Savage Worlds looks interesting if you can get past some of the die wonkiness and don't mind overly broad combat skills. Now, that Adamant is doing Thrilling Tales, I might give it another look.

- Ars Magica: Best Magic system and I like the Medieval setting
- GURPS is a good system for reasons mentioned if you don't mind roll under systems
- Hero is another good system for reasons mentioned if you don't mind roll under systems

Games that I love the setting material, but not the system mechanics
- Earthdawn
- Legend of the 5 Rings
- 7th Sea
Shadowrun: I really like the conjuring and summoning rules and Magic In the Shadows for 2e and 3e by Steve Kenson is awesome.
- Original World of Darkness
- Warhammer Fantasy RPG

Voadam

Legend
Some pdf options:

World of Darkness $12.50 by White Wolf. Modern with horror and supernatural elements, uses scale of 1-5 for attributes and skills and powers, spend xp directly to increase individual character aspects, and roll lots of d10s as the basic mechanic.

Leads into a number of great systems White Wolf Games

My current favorite is Werewolf the Forsaken where you play werewolves who are basically strong, spiritually aware hybrid people/hunter spirits who hunt pure spirits or people who cross too far over the line between the two, as well as fight over physical and spiritual territory for their pack. Taps into neat things about werewolves and makes a compelling world. $17.50

Hunter the Vigil where you are a skilled person hunting the supernatural looks cool as does Changeling the Lost where you are a person who was abducted by fey as a babe, raised as a slave, then escaped.

Before it goes away in July 1 and later reborn in a new edition you might check out Mongoose's Paranoia. Go with service pack 1 which is the updated second printing of the core rules. A game where PCs don't know the rules beyond roll low on a single d20, and focused on tension, avoiding catch 22s, and betraying your fellow PCs before they betray you with hilarious death traps lying around every corner and in every social situation. A fantastic future totalitarian setting where life is run by an inconsistent computer who wants everybody to be happy and loyal and everybody gets six clone bodies in case of the frequent unfortunate death or termination. Great for humorous one shots or short campaigns. $20.96

Warhammer FRPG is a great dark grim and gritty fantasy medieval setting and system. skills and attacks are percentile based, hp are usually under 10, toughness and armor act as dr and a way to dodge attacks reactively. Crits are fantastic and happen after hp go to 0. Great demonology and Chaos cosmology. Expensive for a pdf at $25, but it is full color and 256 pages of greatness.

I have many fond memories of playing the 1e system from the old books.

I'd also check out Green Ronin for Mutants and Masterminds, Blue Rose, and True 20. Each takes the core 3e system, removes AoOs and iterative attacks and replaces hp with a damage save. Magic/powers and classes are handled differently in each which basically defines the differences between these three games but they are a quicker stat lighter d20 with the hp change affecting game play feel.

Remove ads