• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Systems to Try

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have played Nobilis, and had a lot of fun with it.

Nobilis is very "high concept", rather literally, as you play essentially the embodiment of some concept (or, more specifically, a human that has been infused with the Power behind the concept). We had characters who were the Nobilis of Walls, of Christmas, and of Tomorrow, among others.

The mechanics are not terribly complex, and definitely need a good DM to put them into useful practice. The game is not focused on the details of mundane action. Powers are very broadly defined, and typically operate well beyond what is possible under human norms (you are playing what are effectively demigods, after all).

Overall, the game had a very mythic quality to me, rather than the more realist feel you get from most games.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Are you in the mood for weird Indie games?

Like "Don't Rest Your Head", a game of surreal modern horror (that can be reskinned for surreal pseudo-medieval horror pretty easily)?

Or "Dogs in the Vinyard" a game that is worth reading even if you never play it, because of the great GM advice?

"In a Wicked Age" to get some competitive storytelling into your fantasy world?

"3:16: Carnage Among the Stars" to examine an interesting "flashback" mechanic that has an effect on present-time combat?

John Wick's "The Thirty" to get an idea of how trust in your teammates can be a game mechanic?

Last edited:

Goblinoid Games

First Post
In no particular order:
  • Stormbringer
  • Call of Cthulhu

I'd especially recommend these for a change of pace from D&D. The last version of Stormbringer from Chaosium is very cool. It's definitely a different take on fantasy. Barring that you could go with the Mongoose versions, which I've heard good things about but haven't looked at them too closely.

Hussar

Legend
Philotomy Jurament said:
Dying Earth

Ooo, ooo, ooo, I got to play this one for a few sessions a few years back. Man, that was a friggin' blast. If you like word play and trying to one up the other players in how baroque you can make your languate, this is for you. Loved, loved, loved it.

Real bitch to keep a straight face while delivering lines though. :D

Ooo, ooo, ooo, I got to play [The Dying Earth RPG] for a few sessions a few years back. Man, that was a friggin' blast. If you like word play and trying to one up the other players in how baroque you can make your languate, this is for you. Loved, loved, loved it.

Real bitch to keep a straight face while delivering lines though. :D
I haven't had a chance to play it, yet, but I've been reading it and am, ahem, dying to play. I picked it up because I like Vance, have been impressed with some of Robin Laws's other games and writing, and learned that the license had been lost, so I wanted to get the game while I could...

(Just reading the rule book has me chuckling constantly. They did a good job capturing a "Vancian" tone.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My favorite RPG: HERO.

Mutants & Masterminds is a close second, followed by D&D 3.X (IOW, the original 3.5 and the better 3PP variants like Midnight 2Ed and AU/AE).

Coming soon from the makers of M&M is Warlords & Warlocks, a FRPG that is derived from the M&M system. I expect great things. Personally, I'll probably be adding it to my collection, along with the core rulebooks for Pathfinder and True20 at some point.

Traveller is to me what D&D is to FRPGs- the measuring stick by which I measure all other Sci-Fi RPGs.

Paranoia, played with the right people, is simply a blast(er).

Call of Cthulhu is one of the great benchmarks in Horror RPGs.

While their systems may not be beloved of all, Godlike, Shadowrun, Underground, Deadlands, Space:1889 and RIFTS are among the most creative settings I've seen. I'd buy at least the basic books to use as source material for running games in RPG systems I prefer.

Similarly, GURPS (dislike it though I do) usually has some of the best written sourcebooks out there, and many gamers- myself included- will pick them up and convert the stuff within to their preferred systems. Especially if there is a sale.

In addition, I recently made this statement in another thread:

One of the simplest quality RPGs of all time was Metagames' The Fantasy Trip. It is one of the foundational games that eventually evolved into GURPS but it is long OoP. (FWIW, I lovt TFT, but hate GURPS- go figure!)

However, someone else on these boards pointed out to me that a company has essentially revived TFT in a slightly altered form at this website:

Dark City Games

Last edited:

ancientvaults

Explorer
When getting away from D&D-like games for a breather I run:
The Burning Wheel/Mouse Guard
Hollow Earth Expedition
CthulhuTech
Mutants & Masterminds 2
True20
I really loved the original Deadlands system and I need to pick up Savage Worlds to see what that is like.

terraleon

Explorer
Mouse Guard looks gorgeous...as does Cthulhutech-- while I haven't gotten to play it yet, I've read through it and it looks like a lot of fun, mixing the Lovecraft with the Mecha.

We're trying a stint in Scion, which has a modern-setting-Exalted vibe to it. I've always liked Exalted, and I'm enjoying Scion.

Hands down, though, Ars Magica done right is a blast. The best magic system out there and characters that are built with story hooks right out of the gate. Combat can be simplistic, but that just means you can house rule it easier if that's your personal focus.

-Ben.

EDIT: I'd be remiss to forget Conan. Bloody and grim and low-magic. It makes for a good change of pace.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Mutants & Masterminds!

Oh wait, someone already mentioned that. Or somefive or so, more like.

Also, something I don't think anyone has mentioned: Reign. I became intrigued a while back, didn't think about it much again, but have once more turned my attention to it, and to the One Roll Engine (ORE). It's a very smart little game. Or not so little. But still smart, if I'm not mistaken. There's lots of great support and supplemental material too, coming from both the creator and various fans. Plus, its rules can tie in easily with those of other ORE systems.

Worth a look, both.

Remove ads