Games You Missed Out on When They Were New

MGibster

Legend
As I mentioned, I'm quite interested in it. I know the first edition is an old-timer. I'd love to have your thoughts on it!
I'm never actually sure about a game until I actually play it. But after reading the rules, I kind of dig it. Character generation is rather random though. You basically just try to push your character in a certain direction and hope for the best but it's a lot of fun to roll one up and see what you get.

aramis erak

Legend
I was barely aware of the existence of a Dallas RPG in the 80s. I might have seen an ad for it in Dragon or some other periodical but I can't recall seeing it for sale anywhere.

For the purposes of this thread, I'm not counting games produced when I couldn't purchase/play RPGs for myself. I didn't include Traveller on my original list because I was a year old when it was released in 1977. And I don't think I knew En Garde! existed until sometime after the year 2000.
I had an allowance in 1975....
and En Garde! has remained in print since 1975 with only about 3 years without new copies available from one publisher or another.

As for Dallas in stores... Long's Drugs, in Anchorage, is where I learned of it. And of James Bond, Metamorphosis Alpha, Gamma World, and Moldvay Basic D&D.

It's also where I bought Basic D&D.

Long's is long gone, but the building is now Barnes & Noble... C Street between Northern Lights and Benson Blvd.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
As much as I proclaim, nowadays, that BECMI D&D is my near-favorite edition of D&D and the only "core only" playable version, and as much as Spelljammer is my favorite AD&D setting, I didn't really get into either until after 3.5 had gone out of print.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I missed BECMI back in the day (I came into D&D with 2e and had to backfill a lot) and now it (or, well, the Rules Cyclopedia) is my preferred edition to play.

I always loved the Talislanta ads but was never able to play. Same with Shadowrun.

I bought the first edition of Castle Falkenstein and loved it and couldn't get anyone to play it with me. Same with Changeling (2nd Edition), though I did play in a lot of World of Darkness games so I'm not sure it counts.

I never played or cared about Greyhawk until it was pretty much defunct.

I've never been interested in new games. I prefer to wait until it has been around a few years before checking out reviews and product lines. There's too many Kenzer style companies out there that come up with an interesting core book and then fail to support the product.

MGibster

Legend
I've never been interested in new games. I prefer to wait until it has been around a few years before checking out reviews and product lines. There's too many Kenzer style companies out there that come up with an interesting core book and then fail to support the product.
That's not such a bad idea. I tend not to jump on newer games unless they really catch my interest and I believe it's likely my group will want to play it.

aramis erak

Legend
Oh? There's been plenty of support for KoK and Hackmaster, some support for Aces & Eights... but their primary product has been the comics the whole time.

I mean, things like Dawg really are intentional (and obvious) one-offs. But even Dawg has two $1 pdf supplements...

Thing is, they don't get shelf space at most FLGSs...

Oh? There's been plenty of support for KoK and Hackmaster, some support for Aces & Eights... but their primary product has been the comics the whole time.

I mean, things like Dawg really are intentional (and obvious) one-offs. But even Dawg has two $1 pdf supplements...

Thing is, they don't get shelf space at most FLGSs...
Kalamar, yes. Aces, well, the core book was five years late, and other than extra silhouettes and a handful of scenarios, the line seems stalled, with nothing new in years. Fairy Meat and several other lines were never developed beyond the initial exposure.

Whereas Zweihander, my current 'new' interest has scads of both parent company and third party products.

Remove ads