Games you thought you'd like and hated and games you thought you'd hate and liked

Aus_Snow

First Post
Huh. I really kinda missed the big one, last post. . .

Thought I'd hate D&D 3e with a fiery passion like unto 10 million suns, based on my inevitable frustration with (and some amount of scorn for) earlier editions. Even after looking through a PHB, I wasn't sold. But no, upon biting the bullet, it proved itself to be 'full of win'. Oh, there have been things that well and truly Pd me off about it, right enough. As there still are. But it's rather fine, as core systems go. Even with all my house ruling, respect where it's due; D&D 3e deserves it.

Elf Witch

First Post
I don't like cyberpunk I hated with a passion William Gibson's novel Necromancer. so when my group said that they wanted to switch from Ad&d to Shadowrun I was disamyed. But I didn't want to leave the group so I sucked it up and bought a players handbook. After reading the player handbook I was even more convinced that I would hate it.

I was wrong I loved it. To be honest I like Shadowrun a tad better than DnD.

I love Vampires so I thought I would like World Of Dakrness. I just found that I was bored through most of the sessions. It just didn't do anything for me.

Testament

First Post
Love the Cyberpunk genre. Love Gibson's writings. Hate just about every Cyberpunk rules set I have ever played (Reflexes 10, Empathy 10, enough said). And don't even get me started on the undying, searing, 10,000 suns-like hatred I bear for Shadowrun.

Didn't think I'd like Mage. Reading the book convinced me further. Then I reluctantly played it. With a good GM, that game can rock.

Nikroecyst

First Post
I didn't think I would like Mutants and Masterminds, but it turned out pretty sweet. I played a Juggernaut rip-off. It rocked hard.

I didnt' think I was going to like the L5R RPG but the system mechanic was alot easier to learn than I thought. Granted I only played once I had a really good time.

Given that I liked L5R. I thought I would like Oriental Adventures: Rokugan, but once we actually started the game I realized how broken the system really was. We worked in both 3.0 and 3.5 books, and it was a mess in my oppinion, but no one else in the group seemed to mind/care. All they wanted to do was crack some heads.

Aeon Trinity, has the best world concept and I loved the history, flavor, and all the little details that went into making the game seem really submersive. However the battle mechanic completely ruined the only game of it I actually ran.

Greg K

Legend
Games I thought I would like but hated
- DC Universe RPG (WEG): The game looked pretty good up until I saw the movement and lifting rules. Look on a chart and find a column. Then roll your skill dice, add successes, and look on the chart to find out how fast you moved or how much you lifted. Only the columns left huge gaps between one another and the results within the columns were broken down more than they needed to be.

- Marvel Super Heroes RPG: UGH! Popularity as Presence. The sum of physical stats as hit points. There needed to be twice as many ranks from Remarkable to Unearthly. And, then there was relying on the Marvel Handbooks for strength scores and some wonky mechanics that just didn't duplicate the source material. Plus, for strength, it relied on the horrible ratings from the Marvel Universe Handbooks.

- Marvel Universe RPG: Too many things I disliked. I hated the stones. Second, as with the Marvel Superhero RPG, there were not enough variation between rankings. Third, strength ratings relied on the Marvel Encyclopedias which had less variation than the Marvel Handbooks. There was even more I disliked, but I think I have listed enough.

- Star Wars RPG (WEG). I'm still not sure why I don't like the game.

- Star Wars d20: I like Star Wars, but I realized I do not like DND style d20 classes and hit points per level for recreating characters from novels, movies, etc. On the otherhand, I did like the skill and feat force mechanics.

- Iron Heroes: It had Mike Mearl's name and I liked the Book of Iron Might as well as Mike's previous work for several third parties (i.e., AEG, Fantasy Flight Games, Mongoose). However, I hated the classes, the skill system, and the token use while magic needed more work.

Last edited:

Set

First Post
Marvel Superheroes had me at hello, 'cause I've never *not* loved a super-hero game, from Villains & Vigilantes to Aberrant to GURPS Supers to HERO to Mutants & Masterminds, but zombie jeebus on a pogo stick, did MSH suck the life out of me. I was playing Cyclops, one of my favorite X-Men (the GM expressed surprise when he handed out the sheet for Wolverine and everyone at the table just scowled at him. He thought we'd be fighting to play the loser...), and every single round was an exercise in pain and futility. Ugh. I really, really wanted to love the game, 'cause, *super-heroes!*, but I ended up walking out of a game I'd paid to play, and it wasn't a bad GM or anything like that, it was just system incompatibility with me.

GURPS, on the other hand, was introduced to me in college, lo those centuries back, by Steffan O'Sullivan, soon to go on to write the Bestiary and Swashbuckler, and perhaps having a GM that got it helped there, because it kicked all sorts of ass for a group of players who knew nothing but AD&D and weren't exactly hopped up to play something else. I expected to hate it, and ended up playing for over a decade fairly religiously, following it through three editions. (That fourth edition, 'though? They lost me. And quite a few other not-so-hardcore players, I suspect.)

Vampire the Masquerade was another game I expected not to like at all. (Everyone's a vampire? We sleep all day? We freak out and lose control of our character at the sight of matches, other vampires, being embarassed?) And it turned out to be awesome, despite a clunky rules mechanic, with far more versatility than I would have expected.

The exact opposite happened with the new World of Darkness, which I really really wanted to like, and which I played at a demo run by WW staffers, and got to experience the delight of failing to do anything over the course of six die rolls (including the one thing that my character was actually good at!), and then getting turned into a vampire and, along with four other vampires, completely and utterly schooled and sent running by a *DOG.*

"Fear me puny mortals, I have lived a thousand years sucking the blood of your... AHHHHH, get it off, get it off! Bad dog! Down! Sit! Stay! AHHHH!"

Aeon Trinity, has the best world concept and I loved the history, flavor, and all the little details that went into making the game seem really submersive. However the battle mechanic completely ruined the only game of it I actually ran.

Best damn game to read ever. The dice mechanics pretty much bit.

'Kay, I have five d10, and I need *three* of them to roll 7 or higher to make my single solitary super-power work. And if it works, it'll do 3 dice of effect, all of which will be soaked by a half-drowned rat. Or I can use this gun, which anyone can use, with which I need only 1 success on 9d10 and it does 5+ damage... Why are Psions not extinct again?'

The Player's Guide went a long way towards making it better, but it was too late in the day, I guess.

Last edited:

Tetsubo

First Post
I hated Werewolf. It was the only game in that line I ever bought. It was also the first RPG I ever sold. Monte Cook's World of Darkness is good though.

I really hated Castles & Crusades. I thought, "Cool, that old 1E style!". After reading it I thought, "Now that I dwell on it, 3.5 is far superior to 1E. And C&C." I also sold that one.

I can't think of any that I thought I wouldn't like, but did. I've read so many...

GlassJaw

Hero
Interesting, I really thought I wouldn't like Iron Heroes after reading the rules but I really enjoyed it when I got a chance to play at GenCon. Not sure I would use it as-is but I would borrow heavily if I ran a 3.75 campaign.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I didn't think I'd like Arcana Unearthed. The previews I saw really didn't "do it" for me. I flipped through the book at its GenCon premier, and having more money than sense, I purchased it. I started reading it waiting for a seminar to start and I couldn't put it down. It was the first RPG book I'd ever read cover-to-cover like a novel and I couldn't wait to get home and start playing it. I've since played it (and moved on to Arcana Evolved) and it's my system of choice now for fantasy role-playing.

Paranoia XP was a game I expected to love. I'd played 2nd edition so much, Commie Mutant Traitors caused my rule book to fall apart. But, upon reading it, I found it to add a layer of complexity that wasn't needed in my opinion. I thought the rules that allowed players to modify the rolls and task difficulties of other players just wasn't necessary; every group I ever played Paranoia with had no trouble finding ways to screw with their comrades. The Computer says 2nd edition is perfect. Do you doubt the Computer?

JediSoth

Remove ads