Games you want to play but can't

Matchstick

Adventurer
The One Ring.

Oh my goodness, how much do I want to play this game.........

Own the core book + Rivendell in hardcover, everything else in PDF......

But I can't convince anyone to play it. When I suggested it to my best friend, who's the primary catalyst for my group, just looked at me and said, "But you've read the books over two dozen times. I've only watched the movies once in my life. How am I supposed to 'get' the setting?"

And truthfully, I wouldn't want a typical group to play it. There's always the one guy who thinks that making a hobbit character named "Filbo Snaggins" (or whatever) is the height of comedy. I just couldn't handle that. I have too much deep, abiding love for the source material.

And you absolutely, positively cannot approach the system as a power gamer. It's just not a system designed to be "power gamed." There's only three freaking core stats, and maybe two dozen skills, of which 6-8 of them are things like "herb lore" and "riddle lore."

So, it probably won't ever happen, sadly. Ah well.

TOR is it for me as well. I keep thinking about doing an online game, but my time is so variable that I hesitate to start. I do feel like an online game could really work with TOR; it seems to me that the people that would join would be people that really wanted to be there, and not necessarily make Filbo Snaggins. I have one of those people in my Savage Worlds group BTW, and don't mind, but I do agree that TOR may not be the best place for that.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'd also love to play Star Trek but I can never seem to convince my friend who is our resident Trekkie to run a ST game.

You now what, thinking about it... I don't think my group would care for a Star Trek game. I think they'd find it cheesy. My group would be wrong about this, but that's what they'd think.

If I scratched all the serial numbers off, and called all the elements by different names, they might go for it. But that's too much like work. I'll find something they will enjoy out of the box, instead.

The One Ring.

Oh my goodness, how much do I want to play this game.........

Own the core book + Rivendell in hardcover, everything else in PDF......

But I can't convince anyone to play it. When I suggested it to my best friend, who's the primary catalyst for my group, just looked at me and said, "But you've read the books over two dozen times. I've only watched the movies once in my life. How am I supposed to 'get' the setting?"

And truthfully, I wouldn't want a typical group to play it. There's always the one guy who thinks that making a hobbit character named "Filbo Snaggins" (or whatever) is the height of comedy. I just couldn't handle that. I have too much deep, abiding love for the source material.

And you absolutely, positively cannot approach the system as a power gamer. It's just not a system designed to be "power gamed." There's only three freaking core stats, and maybe two dozen skills, of which 6-8 of them are things like "herb lore" and "riddle lore."

So, it probably won't ever happen, sadly. Ah well.

Outside chance I'll be moving to Wyoming or Idaho (just as good a chance of Colorado or Oregon) next summer! If so, you can grab your fellowship and undertake a perilous few hour drive and I can run TOR for you!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I really, really want to my group to play a game using Eclipse: The Codex Persona for our weekly Pathfinder game. Eclipse is a point-buy "hack" of the d20 System, and so I didn't think it'd be a problem to introduce into my group. After all, it's 100% compatible with the game rules of what they're already playing, and there are a bajillion examples of characters you can make with it that would be tricky - if not almost impossible - otherwise.

When I suggested it to them, it was like walking face-first into a brick wall.

Apparently, the words "point-buy" were the deal-breaker. I seriously couldn't get one person behind the idea. Not one. When I asked why, the consensus was "point-buy characters are unbalanced." I tried to point out that this was technically true, but only if you accepted the premise that "balance" was all about combat parity at the tactical-skirmish level and bought into the assumption that choices needed to be restricted because the players would be trying to break the system, instead of wanting to make interesting characters and without trying to show each other up.

Needless to say, that argument got me nowhere, and I had to drop the idea due to lack of support. *sigh* Maybe someday... :(

qstor

Adventurer
The One Ring. Haven't found the time to go over the rules and none of my friends want to run it even though they like the setting.

Morrow Project.

qstor

Adventurer
You now what, thinking about it... I don't think my group would care for a Star Trek game. I think they'd find it cheesy. My group would be wrong about this, but that's what they'd think.

If I scratched all the serial numbers off, and called all the elements by different names, they might go for it. But that's too much like work. I'll find something they will enjoy out of the box, instead.

The same here I can't find time to get my friend to run it.

Remove ads