• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Games you won't play

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Is there a game, genre, setting, or character type that you will not play, at all? Is there a deal breaker game element (like the previously mentioned) that will make you consider walking away from the table if the DM was absolutely intent on playing it? (I am not talking about a DM/personal characteristic.)

Bullgrit

Ourph

First Post
I won't play AD&D 2e just because I know I like 1e better and it irks me every time we use a 2e rule when I prefer the way 1e handles it. The same holds for C&C. If I want to play AD&D or something like AD&D, I want to use the original that I know and love.

I won't play Savage Worlds because I gave it a try and just never really "got" the system. Everyone else was having fun and I was bored out of my skull. I guess it just didn't click for me.

I won't DM D&D 3e or close derivatives (Pathfinder, Conan, Arcana Evolved, etc.) because it's just too much work. But I'll gladly play if someone else wants to run a game.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Loads. I should've walked away from about 50% of the rpgs I've played in, tbh. I recently left a Trail of Cthulhu campaign after five sessions because it was going on for longer than I thought it would and, for me, horror can't work as a campaign.

There are lots of games I won't play, anything 70s or early 80s in style with random roll PC Gen (OK maybe for a oneoff), any D&D prior to 4e, HERO, any WoD, any Palladium, many others.

Cadfan

First Post
I shy away from games that involve heavy elements of simulation. Not because I dislike a realistic world, but because heavy simulationism really just creates a different, more cumbersome form of gamism that I do not particularly enjoy.

I also hate looking things up on charts. I'll do it if the payoff is really, really good, but mostly I hate it.

I also am incapable of experiencing gambler's thrill. This is a more subtle problem, but basically if your combat system takes a while to resolve things but doesn't actually involve tactical decision making, I grow bored and resentful. Other people will crowd around the dice and wait for the high roll or the critical failure and cheer or moan and be entertained all the while. I can't do that. Its not just that I don't like to, I mean I actually can't enjoy watching a random number generator at work just for the sake of the surprise factor and the thrill of risking it all on the toss of a die. I can't do it. There has to be some game built into combat, whether it be the tactical game of later edition D&D, the storytelling game of a game like Feng Shui, or whatever. Alternately combat has to happen quickly and go away before I get angry at it, like in a game like Faery Tale.

Scribble

First Post
I'll play just about anything. I'd even DM just about anything if the group really wanted me to. (Thought I have more fun in some then others.)

I think the only thing that would really get me to not want to play would be like graphic sex themed stuff... That just weirds me out.

I don't play "rules light" games - I like my games crunchy and details.
I really won't play games with any kind of random Chargen.

I detest Horror as a genre, as well as any game where the heroes are helpless in one way or another.

I don't play "R" rated games, no matter the genre.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads