• My SO wishes I wouldn't play

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • My SO makes it harder to play

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • My SO doesn't play but is supportive

Votes: 23 24.2%

the Jester

Legend
Um... none at the moment, as I have no SO (nor do I have siblings), but I wouldn't have a girlfriend who wasn't participating in or at least supportive of something that is such a big part of my life.

Edit: Also, this poll is pretty limited as far as what it considers family participation goes- I've known people that played with their parents (and even one grandpa!), cousins, uncles and nieces & nephews.

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
My wife plays and (recently) GMs. My daughter plays and GMs.

I'll be running our family Savage Worlds Fantasy game a bit later this afternoon.

I should also say that not only is my wife supportive of the hobby but she is EXTREMELY gracious about us hosting the NC Game Days a few times a year, allowing me to jet off to GenCon on occasion and also making quite a few of our family vacations revolve around visiting our gaming friends. She's also an excellent cook, earns a pretty decent living and is completely amazing in several ways that are not Grandma-Friendly.

If you wonder why I'm so damn happy all the time, it is directly traceable to her.

BSF

Explorer
My wife has been gaming with me for almost as long as we have known each other. She has posted bits of her own story hour a few years ago. She is supportive of my other game, that I play in weekly. We play with my son on random weekends as well, time permitting. My girls are too young to get into gaming yet, but might be interested as they start figuring out math and being able to read.

Treebore

First Post
I first met the woman I married when she came to make a character for a D&D game I was running. So, you know, no problem with spousal support for my gaming.

Yep. I met my wife of now over 20 years when she showed up to join the group I was in.

As for the friends part, even though not covered in your poll. Most of my friends are my friends because we are gamers, and our gaming got us together in order to become friends. I have friends outside of gaming, but not many. I don't make friends with co workers, they are acquaintances. I do make exceptions for co workers who game, though. :)

The Antra

First Post
My wife plays with me since we started dating, over 10 years ago. Sometimes, she is even more enthusiastic than I am (and I love her for that).

I just can´t say my daughter plays with us because she´s only 3 months old. But we´ll take care of that as soon as she comes of age! ;)

Couldn´t get my dog to like RPGs. He really doesn´t care for that! :p

Mark Hope

Adventurer
My gf used to be a regular gamer but no longer plays. She's super-supportive of it, though. Actually, from time to time she does play (there is talk of a one-shot game with some of our old friends/gaming group over xmas and she's planning on playing in that) so I checked that box as well, heh. My two eldest kids also play. Eldest boy has just discovered Games Workshop and my daughter ran her first game for us a couple of months back (using the D&D red box - the original version, not the new one). Youngest boy has asked for his own set of dice, so I guess he's ready too now :)

My wife has tried it but didn't like it much. Though she doesn't try to hinder the game her dirty looks keep it to playing only when she is at work.

Both kids thourghly enjoy it. Check out Eldeen Heroes SH.

Argyle King

Legend
My family is very supportive of my hobbies. A few of them have tried playing. Many of them are buying me gaming related gifts for Christmas.

Some of my family members didn't understand the hobby when I first started playing, but I took the time to educate them on what the games were and expressed why I enjoyed them. I understand the reasons for why people hide their hobby, but I've never felt the need to do so. My view is that I am really not bothered if someone has a problem with what I do in my spare time or not.

Haltherrion

First Post
My wife tried it but she thought we talked to much. She only liked killing things. None of the roleplaying or mulling over what to do next stuff for her :)

But she has always been very supportive so as nice as it would be to have her play, it's been fine. My kids are just getting to the age where they enjoy it although only in smaller doses. It's still a bit much for them so more recently we have been playing Talisman (very happy to have discovered that again after all these years B-)

Remove ads