Gaming Group Turns 35!

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Our Dungeons and Dragon campaign started in Spring of 1982 and has been running continuously for the last 35 years! In that time 19 years of character time has gone by, with some second generation playing characters now part of the adventuring team. Last week we played out 1317th Game - the 3rd game of our 174th Module.

Soul Stigma

First Post
Wow, congratulations on holding a group together that long! That is no small feat (<--- see what I did there?)!

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Our Dungeons and Dragon campaign started in Spring of 1982 and has been running continuously for the last 35 years! In that time 19 years of character time has gone by, with some second generation playing characters now part of the adventuring team. Last week we played out 1317th Game - the 3rd game of our 174th Module.

Has it been a continuous campaign all that time, or just a continuous gaming group?

Either feat is very impressive.

My current gaming group has been together since 2006, so 11 years. However, only 2 of the 6 currently in the group have been there since the start (with a third joining about 3 months in). We've played about 6 different D&D campaigns in that time.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Congrats [MENTION=8530]Silver Moon[/MENTION] !

We haven't managed to keep a continuous campaign going for that long - ours average about 10 years each, or a bit more, with almost always more than one running at a time - but our core group has been together since about 1982, with major and lasting additions around 1990-91.

I'm not sure I really want to think about how many actual sessions we've played but it's probably well over 3000 all told - maybe pushing 3500 - between the various campaigns.

Lan-"some things never get old"-efan

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Has it been a continuous campaign all that time, or just a continuous gaming group?
A continuous campaign for the most part. Intermixed in there are around a dozen modules from an unrelated campaign that we originally planned to link but that has not happened yet.

The game plays on Sunday nights. Early on we played nearly every week, now it averages closer to every-other-week.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Campaign Synopsis:

The characters live on a small continent (around the size of France + Belgium combined) broken into 9 Lordholdings. Every 15 years the Lordholders get together to elect a "King" to resolve disputes between Lordholdings. The story began the year following the election, as the prior Lordholder who was voted out refused to step down, so the new King's brother assembled and hired the party to remove the man. After a year-long module they were successful.

In the next module they acquired a ship which became their home base, docked in the city of man who first hired them.

In Year 3 (both player and character time) they acquired an island 60 miles south of the continent, which became their new base of operations. The successor Lordholder to the man killed in the first module then made peace with the party, with the island now becoming part of his Lordholding and several party members taking positions as his advisor.

The party continued to grow and undertake several new adventures (TSR Modules, Dungeon Magazine modules and original stories). Most players now had multiple characters who they alternated playing. In one module the party acquired pegasi which they began to use as mounts. Their fleet of ships also expanded.

Ten player years into the campaign it was noted that most players had low level characters (1st to 3rd) who seldom got played. A "Spin off" team was formed, establishing a sculpture shop in a large city on the opposite side of the continent (and thereafter used for lower-level city adventures). Playing characters have switched back-and-forth between this group and the main party. This team is used for approximately one-quarter of the modules (and playing out both a primary and secondary team led to player time now exceeding character time).

Fourteen character years into the campaign the next election of "King" occurred. Due to the party's intervention, a new "Queen" was elected from among the Lordholders. She is an NPC whose consort is one of the playing characters. She uses both teams of characters to solve problems throughout the continent. In one module several characters gained the permanent ability to shift into a aquatic-race. One founding playing character became romantically involved with their Lordholder.

Twenty player years into the module an epic module was played out set in the Forgotten Realms oriental setting of Kara-Tur. The module was initiated by an attack on their island by a former enemy who now resided in Kara-Tur. Following that module a large number of new NPC's and PC's were added to the party, including multiple ones from the oriental animal shape-shifting Hengeyokai race.

In the last two character years they have acquired another Island, this one located 100 miles north of the continent and geographically depicted as this world's version of Scotland. This land has now become the 10th Lordholding. Most modules during this time have had a connection to the new land.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Following that module a large number of new NPC's and PC's were added to the party, including multiple ones from the oriental animal shape-shifting Hengeyokai race...

There goes the neighborhood! I'm guessing that PC mortality is relatively low, since the extra characters needed extra attention. What is the secret of the longest-lived characters? And no, resurrection does not count toward that metric.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
There goes the neighborhood! I'm guessing that PC mortality is relatively low, since the extra characters needed extra attention. What is the secret of the longest-lived characters? And no, resurrection does not count toward that metric.

The secret - I guess it is in part because myself and the other DM's have never been big on the "surprise" instant death scenario with no warning that it is coming, where everything depends on an unanticipated dice role. Surprises do happen all the time, but they usually get an action round to react to it.

Not that there weren't a lot of casualties and resurrections during our initial five year run, but since then we always give the characters an clue of the level of danger that awaits them. Deaths due to player stupidity do still happen.

Remove ads