Gaming Group Turns 36!

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Our group began in late May of 1982 and we just had our 36th Anniversary. Last night's game began Year 37, and was Game #1336 (Game 3 of Module #175). We still have three founding players, and another who joined in 1985. Back in our earlier days we gamed weekly, but due to life and family constraints we now average every-other-week, and only around once a month during the summer. In terms of character time, over 19 years have gone by and some current playing characters are the children of original playing characters.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
That is astounding! Have you kept the same system?
For the most part. We began as 1st Edition and the only part of 2nd Edition that we worked into the game was the Bard Class (as the 1E version was unworkable). Over time most modules used were 3rd Edition (or higher) so we modified them for 1st Edition rules. We also have worked in 36 years worth of house rules.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
For the most part. We began as 1st Edition and the only part of 2nd Edition that we worked into the game was the Bard Class (as the 1E version was unworkable). Over time most modules used were 3rd Edition (or higher) so we modified them for 1st Edition rules. We also have worked in 36 years worth of house rules.

I wouldn't recommend using 3e or 4e... but you might want to look into 5e. Some of the more "wth is this" features can be removed (feats are optional) or easily changed (fast natural healing, death rules).

No matter the system it's a remarkable achievement. ... do you still have the same characters? :p

Silver Moon

Adventurer
I wouldn't recommend using 3e or 4e... but you might want to look into 5e. Some of the more "wth is this" features can be removed (feats are optional) or easily changed (fast natural healing, death rules).
I have found that some 3E modules have adapted quite well. One that comes to mind is "Beast of Burden" from Dungeon Magazine #100. Ones that look like too much work to adapt I just steal bits and pieces from (plot points, names, maps, etc.).

One of our players actively plays 5E with his daughter's gaming group and has had good things to say about it. He will probably adapt some of the better 5E modules that he plays with them to DM with our group.

No matter the system it's a remarkable achievement. ... do you still have the same characters? :p
Each player has five to nine different characters which they alternate. We still have five active playing characters from the very first module (and another five from then who belonged to former players and are still around as NPC's).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This sounds SO familiar! :)

Our crew, or the core few people thereof, have been at it since 1981-ish (I got in in 1982) but we've seen a whole bunch of people come and go during that time, some just flashes in the pan and others who stuck around for a decade or two. We've also turned over campaigns - they tend to last about ten years each, and with two of us DMing that means we've got through 4 complete and are still working on the most recent 2. However, one of the recent two has found a way of rebooting some very old characters in a "Legends" campaign, and all 6 campaigns have had at least some (potential and-or realized) connections and-or cross-pollinations between them

And we're also still using the same system we started with: a version of 1e in which over the years nearly every important element has been tweaked, revised, or rewritten.

So congrats to a fellow lifer! :)

Lanefan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I have found that some 3E modules have adapted quite well. One that comes to mind is "Beast of Burden" from Dungeon Magazine #100. Ones that look like too much work to adapt I just steal bits and pieces from (plot points, names, maps, etc.).
Forge of Fury adapted quite well - I was pleasantly surprised. Some others have been kind of hit-or-miss; and the only true TPK I've ever had came from a module adapted from 3e.

With one exception the 4e modules I've tried adapting didn't come off so well; the exception being Marauders of the Dune Sea , where about the only changes I had to make (other than some easy monster re-statting) were to a) turn a couple of elements intended to be skill challenges into RP or exploration pieces and b) put a few more connecting passages etc. into the dungeon to make it less linear.

Lanefan

The Monster

Explorer
Impressive! My own group has been around about as long, with a couple of us having been together since the early '80's, when we were fresh out of college (whether graduates or dropouts, hehe). Unlike you, though, we've played more different systems than we can easily recall (though almost no D&D except 4e), and we take turns GMing depending on who feels inspired to run. Congratulations!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases