Gaming in Phoenix, AZ

tylermalan

First Post
Ok, well, cool! Here is what I propose...

Let's start up a new game instead of joining a pre-existing one. Let's play at Mana Werks, unless there IS a table fee that someone isn't comfortable paying, or we can't reserve a table, etc. Let's play in the late afternoon/early evening (this will require Arkhandus to move his current game up to starting around noon). Once we decide if all of this is ok, we can choose between me running EtCR, or JoeStock running WLD, or alternating between the two.

Does all of this sound ok with you guys?

As for supplies, I used to play Warhammer, so I have a ton of minis, but they aren't very varied. They're usable though! I do not have a battlemat, however, but have been meaning to get one... can anyone give me a link where I can purchase one? Lastly, I've got the first 3 sets of Dungeon Tiles to use, and I want to get the fourth, so we have those.

How good is Mana Werks for supplies and books and the like? Do they cater mainly to D&D and other RPGs, or are they more cards, or comics?

JoeStock

Explorer
All of that sounds fine tylermalan, I of course vote for alternating. :)

I believe rpg.net's shop sells the mats, they're called play mats. I'm happy to go ahead and buy one for the group, as long as someone else can provide minis.

I did quickly stop in manawerx to just see where it was and what it looked like. They only seems to have dice, it's mainly a Magic store, I didn't see any RPG books.

tylermalan

First Post
You know, I might just go ahead and buy a battlemat for myself anyway... I've needed one for awhile. I was recently using a dry-erase white board that I had drawn a square grid onto with permanent marker, and then just used dry erase markers to draw stuff on, but it was big and cumbersome. Also, once I bought the dungeon tiles, I realized that I drew the squares on the grid WAY too big, and it wasn't compatible with the tiles. So, in my recent move down to AZ I trashed that thing!

One thing that I've got that I don't know if you guys have ever used is the Combat Pad - that initiative tracker thing. It's awesome!

I suppose that's alright that Mana Werks doesn't sell any books... we can always go elsewhere for our shopping needs, if necessary. Maybe our increased presence will get some books in there!

Arkhandus

First Post
ManaWerx has no fees or whatnot for table use. Fridays and the occasional other big-Magic-tournament days are the only times it's hard to find a spare table.

I have no minis, terrain pieces, or battlemaps in use so far, as I can't afford 'em. On the occasions that exact position matters, we just place some counters on the table to show positions, or I sketch a rough map on normal paper.

Arkhandus

First Post
tylermalan said:
Once we decide if all of this is ok, we can choose between me running EtCR, or JoeStock running WLD, or alternating between the two.

Does all of this sound ok with you guys?
Fine by me.

I do not have a battlemat, however, but have been meaning to get one... can anyone give me a link where I can purchase one? Lastly, I've got the first 3 sets of Dungeon Tiles to use, and I want to get the fourth, so we have those.

How good is Mana Werks for supplies and books and the like? Do they cater mainly to D&D and other RPGs, or are they more cards, or comics?
I dunno where to buy battlemaps, sorry.

ManaWerx is like 70% focused on Magic: The Gathering stuff, 15% on other card games, and 15% on other stuff. They have dice and counters and snacks and such, plus a few RPG books and board games, but not minis, maps, etc.

I think they do have one of the Dungeon Tiles sets though, on the shelves with the RPG books.

Arkhandus

First Post
JoeStock said:
All of that sounds fine tylermalan, I of course vote for alternating. :)

I believe rpg.net's shop sells the mats, they're called play mats. I'm happy to go ahead and buy one for the group, as long as someone else can provide minis.

I did quickly stop in manawerx to just see where it was and what it looked like. They only seems to have dice, it's mainly a Magic store, I didn't see any RPG books.
I forgot for a moment, but I actually do have a small number of the cheap MageKnight plastic miniatures from several years ago.

ManaWerx does have RPG books; they're on the shelves next to the couple of board games they have in stock. Just not a ton of RPG books.

They can also order more books on request, I just don't think they want to stock a lot of books if nobody's buying them.

tylermalan

First Post
Alright, well let's get this going! I know it's kind of late notice, but is playing tomorrow a possibility? Arkhandus, is this enough advance notice to still be able to shift the time of your current game up to noon or so?

So, I say we do the following: I'm good to go for tomorrow at, say, 5 pm at Mana Werks. If both of you guys (Arkhandus and JoeStock) reply to this post by noon tomorrow (Saturday) saying that you can make it and all is well, then we should all show up. Jinnetics, hopefully you're reading this too, and you can also hopefully reply and make it out.

Either way, if you guys both reply, try to bring as many players with you as you can, since there are only three of us really discussing things right now, and that will help fill out the group. I'll try to bring at least one person as well.

If BOTH of you guys DON'T reply by noon tomorrow, or this is too short notice for Arkhandus to be able to reschedule his current game, then we should just shoot for next Saturday.

So, hopefully I see some replies by tomorrow and we can play!

Arkhandus

First Post
Well, this is too short of a notice for my players, really. I tried calling, but changing the schedule this weekend is no good for them. If you guys want to show up on Saturday and try to get something arranged (there may be a few more people around then, after all, but I'm not sure), that's fine.

I just don't think I'll be canceling my regular Saturday evening session this week (unless the guys are willing to put it off until next week, and join the separate game, which I won't know until we get together for the game tomorrow).

JoeStock

Explorer
Well I certainly wouldn't be ready to DM this Saturday, but we can at least get together I think and if Tylermalan is ready he could DM or at the very least we could start character creation for the campaigns. I will be there around 6, maybe a little later.

Heck I'd be willing to join the d20 modern campaign, through I've never played that before.

Last edited:

tylermalan

First Post
Sounds good, I'll be there! I need to make sure I know how to get there, anyway. Now that I think about it, I'm not really ready to DM either! I think Arkhandus said that his game starts around 6, so we can at least meet up, say hi, maybe discuss next week a little bit, and exchange email addresses to make meeting next week easier. I should almost definitely be able to bring another player with me then, as well.

d20 Modern is a lot of fun! It's only slightly different, and if you know the 3.5 system, it comes easily. I think Arkhandus is running a 3E game Saturdays anyway.

See you guys then!

Last edited:

Remove ads