• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming in Phoenix, AZ

JoeStock

Explorer
Well that early might be tough this week will be tough for me too. I could be there around 3 or so. Since we got such a screwy schedule this next few weeks, here's what I propose.

I'm looking to try something other than the WLD to start off. Basically to give me a chance to learn everyone's style and stuff. I do have sortof a one-shot adventure that could be run in about two sessions or less. So let's try this.

This Saturday: If Tyler can give us a hour or two, then starting at 3 we'll do character creation for Tyler's Ravenloft. At 5, we'll do character creation for my campaign. If we get done early enough, we'll also start the one shot. If you can trust me Tyler, I can do Erik's character for your campaign too.

September 29: Store is closed.

October 6: We'll start Tyler's Ravenloft game. Also set Tyler's character for my campaign if we didn't do it on the 22nd.

October 15: We'll finish my one-shot. Tyler will be out of town.

October 22: Second session of Tyler's game.

Arkhandus

First Post
Well that's disheartening..... :\

I don't mind if you're going to be busy this Saturday evening. It's understandable.

But I'm not going to exclude Erik from Saturday sessions altogether like some kind of jerk. He's been in the group since Adam started his D&D campaign almost a year ago, and he'd really like to play more D&D. If you'd prefer a 'more mature' campaign with all of 2 adults in the game, that's fine, but I'll be continuing my Saturday evening game sessions with Erik and Adam.

Adam didn't think he'd want to spend half the day at ManaWerx each Saturday, since his sister got him started some weeks ago on a fitness program that he goes to each Saturday around 4 pm. And I think the evening sessions are more convenient for him as they are for Erik; so we'll probably just continue playing at 5 or 6 pm each Saturday.

If you want to run your game on Saturday afternoons around noon, 2, or 3 pm, I might join in. But I don't think it's likely that Adam will change his mind later and feel more inclined to show up twice a day on Saturdays, so he probably won't be joining that early-afternoon campaign.

Either I'll keep running my Saturday evening campaign, whether it's D&D or D20 Modern, or Joe can run his campaign in that timeslot and the three of us (me, Adam, and Erik) will participate in that game. But I absolutely will not be telling Erik to just stop showing up on Saturdays.

I'll be letting Adam and Erik know tonight to try showing up around 5 or 6 on Saturday so we can run a game session or do character creation. Adam can't show up at 3, it's too close to when he'd need to leave for his fitness-program-thing.

I'll show up around 2 or 3 if I can, and find out what you guys are going to do.

tylermalan

First Post
Well, I wrote this long post, but I'm at work, so I had a lot of time to think about it before I actually posted it. So, here's the shorter, more direct version.

I'm willing to give Erik a chance. When it comes down to it, if I had to make a decision without actually knowing him, I would choose to NOT play with a 13 year old kid, regardless of who he is. However, since he's already in your game and you play with him, AND he's been playing for about a year, I'll give it a chance.

But I'll be honest, I don't have high hopes. He didn't know what a d8 was, and I want to PLAY, not teach someone how to play. That might seem selfish, but I spent 3 years in Alaska teaching people how to play who had never played before, and I'm just burned out.

Regarding the maturity level thing, I just want a good, solid D&D game. I don't want my game to be filled to the brim with cuss words, sex, and gore... so I don't want you guys to think that that's what I mean.

So, I gotta go work on this thing for a bit, but I'll post more later specifically about times and dates and stuff. I haven't had a chance to really read your post yet, Joe, but I will in a few!

tylermalan

First Post
Well, with all this planning, I feel bad about this, but it just seems like the best course of action.

I'll drop from the consideration of the games at ManaWerks. I'll get with the guys that I mentioned before (that might want to come and play) and see if they want to get anything together. If they do, I'll get the Ravenloft thing going around my area. Both of you guys are welcome to come join in, and I'm still interested in trying out the WLD. Arkhandus, I know you don't have transportation, but the offer is on the table none-the-less. Joe, I know you can drive (and I think you're already driving to get to Mana Werks anyway), so you are also very welcome to come and play in Ravenloft, or run your WLD down here, which is really close to the I-10.

So, what do you guys think? What do you want to do? If you want, you can email me at tylermalan@gmail.com.

JoeStock

Explorer
I think everyone needs to calm down for a moment. We all came here for the same reason. We want to play, specifically D&D. Whenever you're dealing with new people, things can be awkward. Let's at least give this a try first. My experience playing shows you can't judge who's going to be the best player by age or looks.

Let's see how the chemistry is before we just blow all this off. I'll be there by 3 PM at the latest and I'll be there until closing. At least stop by Tyler and let's talk about this.

tylermalan

First Post
I'm not actually upset at all, and I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was. However, it isn't really all about this one thing... there are a few other things factoring in here, which I'm not afraid to tell you guys about. So here they are! :)

1) I really don't like Mana Werks at all. Of all the gaming shops I've visited since I've been here (of which there have been many, all over the Phoenix area), Mana Werks is easily the worst. The entire interior isn't nice at all, their selection of gaming stuff is horrible, and it's a bit too, what I'll call "family friendly" for my tastes. Babies, loud noises, and lots of kids running around there NOT playing games... it's just not very professional. I don't know why, but I don't like that.

2) Mana Werks is also a bit far. I'm not sure how far you're driving to get there, Joe, but it's around half an hour for me. In that amount of time, with good traffic conditions, I can get to Game Depot or Gamer's Inn, both of which are awesome stores and pretty far away by my standards. There are also at least 3 or 4 stores that are way better and significantly closer to me.

3) The atmosphere of Mana Werks reminds me of an atmosphere I've seen in many gaming stores in the many cities I've lived. This atmosphere would make it almost impossible for me, as a DM, to tell someone that they can't play in my game, for whatever reason. As D&D is as much a social thing for me as it is a fun game, I don't really like feeling like I have to play with everyone. Add that to the fact that any kids that are there that might want to play are probably there with their parents, who may or may not have babies with them, who are probably screaming... LOL, I'm just kidding. All jokes aside though, Explaining to Jim why he can't play in a professional environment is one thing... explaining to Little Jimmy's mom or dad why I won't let their kid play is another.

4) My wife is just getting interested in D&D, and she wants to play with a group of guys that she works with. While I could possibly make time for two sessions per week, it's really pushing it, and I don't know for sure if I could make every session with you guys, unless you were involved with the other game to which I am referring.

So, those are some reasons. I do NOT want to come across as though I'm saying "It's my way or the highway!" because I am NOT! I promise. But while each of those things individually is not a deal-breaker, all of them together is. If we could eliminate one or two, I would be more interested in continuing the planning. I'm also all about compromise! The thing is, I know that though you guys might also be interested in compromising, you might not be ABLE to (transportation, other game commitments, etc...).

I'm sorry that I didn't bring these things up earlier. It took me awhile to really realize them, and I didn't want you guys to think that I didn't want to play with both of you! I really do!

As for today, I won't be able to make it. I could be out there around noon or shortly after, but 3 is too late. This week, let's discuss what you guys think about all this, and if you can and would be willing to compromise. I'm really sorry about this weekend.

-Tyler

RaZZer99

First Post
Hey, I know I am a bit late in returning to this thread, but I am still interested in playing a regular game of DnD.

I have the typical 8-5 M-F job and so I can only play on the weekend (Friday night, Sat, Sun). I also live in the Chandler area, so I'm really only interested in a game that is within reasonable driving distance (what is reasonable, I'm not sure, but that's what google is there to tell me ;) ). I am 27 in case age is a concern.

tylermalan

First Post
Well, I guess we will have to wait for Arkhandus and Joe to post to figure out what's up, but here's a summary of the scoop:

Arkhandus has a regular Saturday game at Mana Werks, which is about half an hour north of I-10. I live almost ON the 10, so somewhere closer is better for me. We were working out a game at Mana Werks, but, well... you read the posts :) Joe went up there to play last Saturday, as far as I know.

So right now, a game at a store closer to me would be pretty enticing... The closest options in that regard are Gamers' Loot and Samurai Comics, both of which are on Indian School and almost right next to each other. But, like I said before, I'm willing to compromise.

If you live out there, you might want to try Game Depot or Gamers' Inn - both of which are really awesome. I think Game Depot caters more to RPGs than anything else, and Gamers' Inn has convention-style gaming every Saturday around noon (show up, pay $3, jump in a game) and I've been wanting to engage in some of that for quite awhile now. The down side for me is that Gamers' Inn is at least half an hour away from where I live :( so I don't think I could do it very regularly.

I recently got hooked up with a group of guys that I work with who play on Friday nights right now. Two of the guys will be gone in two months, and the rest want to continue playing after that. I'm still interested in running EtCR, and I'm still interested in playing in WLD. What are your thoughts, Razzer?

Joe, where are you driving from again?

Remove ads