Gaming Tables

Fedifensor

Explorer
My wife and I are planning to revamp the gaming room, and our gaming table (measuring 53" long by 32" wide by 20") is on its last legs. The table has a couch on each side, and three comfy chairs (two on one end, and one on the other). We've found the current table to be slightly small for the group, so I'd like the new table to be at least as long as the old one, and preferably a bit wider. The current height is just about right. Bonus points if the table has a storage area underneath.

The problem - the coffee tables I've looked at are either too thin or too short. So far, I've looked through the local furniture stores, Ikea's website, and even craigslist, with no luck. Does anyone have suggestions on where I can find a table that fits our needs?

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Are the folding tables available at, e.g., Office Depot too tall for you? For years I used two six-foot tables, for a total playing surface size of about 72" x 60", and found it nearly perfect. But I've always had a lot of space, and I do think those tables are probably too tall for the use of a sofa or comfy-chairs.

If the money's available, you should be able to get a simple table built to dimensions you specify, with the bonus of being easy to disassemble and move. You mentioned craigslist, so you could do a search for "carpenter" there. You probably don't need or want any particularly fancy work, or finished details, so I can't imagine it being too pricey for the labor. And if you buy good wood, the thing would last forever.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I just moved and found that finding exactly what your looking for is like winning the lotto, it's just not happening this lifetime ;-) So you either have to use what's available, commision a custom piece of furniture (expensive), or make your own (if your a handy man or girl).

Six or eight of these work really well for a couch level gaming table. Plus, pretty reasonable cost.

I made my own gaming topper to sit on top of those. It's made of finished particle board with 4" legs, little undercounter lights, and a plexiglass sheet screwed down over a Chessex battle mat. Total cost for the Lack tables and the gaming topper came up to about $180. The most expensive thing was the Plexiglass sheet.

Totally worth it for years of gaming.

-TRRW

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I'm gonna have to say build it. I spent months trying to either find a table or even just a piece of wood to match the size I needed (5x7 feet) to no avail. Eventually my wife and I bought a much smaller but sturdier table at a Goodwill shop for about $15, then went to Home Depot and had 2 tabletop pieces cut to size and mounted them on the little table. Some whiteboard and edging added after and it's our best table ever.

-DM Jeff

sjmiller

Explorer
The problem - the coffee tables I've looked at are either too thin or too short. So far, I've looked through the local furniture stores, Ikea's website, and even craigslist, with no luck. Does anyone have suggestions on where I can find a table that fits our needs?
You might want to start looking at antique stores, especially larger ones. Also check your local newspaper/craigslist for estate sales. In both cases keep going back, don't be afraid to haggle on the price of something you like, and don't settle for the first thing that comes close.

This is how I find a lot of unusual or specialized furniture.

Troll Wizard

First Post
Build it

From memory as I did this about 2 years ago... (might be cheaper now)

8'x4' table
1x of 3/4" 8'x4' plywood $20 (medium quality)
8x 8' length of 2'x4' for the legs and underframe ($16)
some 1 1/4" and 3" woodscrews, tape ruler, right-angle ruler, pencil, leveler and a circular saw
total about $40

upgrade it
spend a bit more on a nicer piece of plywood (see Home Depot or Lowes)
get 25 feet of 3/4" edge molding for the table edges, cut to proper lengths and angles
attach the molding with wood glue
fill gaps with wood filler
sand it and sand it some more until smooth
prep stain it (if you used a soft wood)
stain with a nice wood stain to suit your taste
poly seal stain it multiple times over a few days, sand it as necessary to smooth it out
adds about $40 to $60 more to the final cost.

Make sure you assemble in the room you plan to use it, I cut everything up in my garage and then moved it to the basement for final assembly, staining, and sealing.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, I recommend building what you want.

My buddy and I are in the planning stages of building one for his basement/game room that is going to be kind bi-level - in the sense that there will be an area at "normal" table area for players to put books and write, and then the upper table surface for the battlemat and minis, etc. .

Hjorimir

Adventurer
As others have said, we build our own. We used 4"x4" posts for the legs and put wheels on the bottom so we can roll it out of the way when not in use (we play in our garage...well a garage with real walls, A/C, two whiteboards, surround sound, and a 37" LCD...it's really our game room, but I park the car in there anyway.).

Fedifensor

Explorer
Thanks for the advice, everyone! Since I'm not very good at crafting, I may just wait a bit longer and see what I can find with a more detailed search.

Jeff Wilder said:
Are the folding tables available at, e.g., Office Depot too tall for you?
Yes. However, one option is to purchase a table like that, keep the legs folded in, and prop the table up on something (boxes, bricks, etc). That may work.

Remove ads