log in or register to remove this ad

 

Gaming w/Jemal: Mutant Apocalypse Issue 2: Vegas!

Jemal

Adventurer
Prologue
Issue 1: Brazil
OOC

Welcome to Issue two of Mutant Apocalypse!
Last issue, our intrepid team, working on behalf of the Gryphon Corporation and Drake center, successfully infiltrated the mutant terrorist group run by a strange hive mind. The Hive persona they have made contact with so far is an old man in a cabin in the rocky mountains of Montana, known as Gabriel Phoenix.
Also linked to the terrorist group is James Gryphon, son and heir to Robert Gryphon, the current head of the Gryphon Corporation. Obviously the old man wants to know why his son has joined such a volatile group.

To gain Phoenix's trust, the team went to South America to 'liberate' a trapped mutant, Laura Vioricta, who has since joined them.

[sblock=Cast]
BBs - Laura Vioricta
JKason - Terry Quinlan aka The Grid
Shayuri - Cassandra Allen, the Telekinetic Journalist
Voda Vosa - Uomo Nascosto/Vittorio di la Croce/twenty seven other names
Walking Dad - Jacob Calvins, AKA Frost
And Zerith as Felix the werecat
[/sblock]


<Begin Issue two: A plane lands in Las Vegas, with six seemingly ordinary passengers on a journey that is anything but.>


<Van/Plane>
By the time the group has reached the airport, they seem to have come to the general consensus (albeit a bit grumpily for some) that the lab is the best destination, and so board their plane.
The flight is not be overly long, and soon enough they are in Vegas. After touching down, Grid is able to do some recon while they head towards their destination..

[sblock=Grid's Computer]
"You're right, it is easier than doing it yourself, but they're still the bad guys. Just because they helped one girl doesn't mean they're good. Why cant you work with those Drake guys, or start your own team? Why the Hive?"[/sblock]

OOC:
If Grid intends to go for a Military Satellite, he'll need a DC 30 Tech check (35 if he wants his hack unnoticed. Military Satellites tend to be monitored more frequently than civilian.
Also, once you get within range, Grid'll need another tech check to try to hack into their personal systems.

Do you guys intend to go there directly or do anything else in town before hand? It's currently about 4pm, do you Wait for nightfall? What's the plan of attack, or are you going to hole up somewhere while you devise one?

Shayuri, what kind of article is Cass posting via Grid?

And Finally, when I get a chance I'll give you each those extra points I was talking about earlier.


PS, just FYI, a non-stop commercial flight from Spokane (Where the cabin was near) to Hong Kong would be about 13-14 hours. Private jet could probably do it in about 10-12. AND Uomo DOES know a teleporter, but whether or not Gryphon could make that big of a jump is another question.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Ok team, time to split up. We'll get some fancy room somewhere to work as a base. From there Grid can attempt to hack into some security to give us some intel. Meanwhile I'll gather some information the old fashioned way. I don't want to walk into the unknown." Vittorio takes a moment to survey the group. His analytical eye stops on Cassandra. "Fulcrum, you are with me, I expect your reporter skills are impeccable." He the looks at the others. "Copycat, Frost, Grid and Laura, you can secure a room for Grid to work, and then rent a vehicle. Keep your eyes open for anything out of the ordinary. And Laura, you need a codename. Find something that suits you." Uomo takes a look at his watch "It's still early, I would prefer a nightly approach, but I'm open to suggestions. Let's gather our intel and discuss it later at the room; keep us posted if something comes up." That said, the burly spy produces a small notepad, with yellow pages and evidently old. Something you'll expect your grandma to keep her cooking secrets. He takes a moment to read a line and then, with a "Come, lass" he walks away.

OOC: The idea here is to gather info, either by interviewing the locals, as in a fake news report, or calling up some contacts and asking questions to them. Additionally, it's Vegas, perhaps some scientist or mercenary just drank too much and lose his tongue to someone. I would be interested in knowing the daily movements of the lab, i.e. what sort of services it requires, what vehicles go in and out, possible number of mercenary security, that sort of thing. The rest can do anything, I'm just bossing around to keep in character =)
 

jkason

First Post
Terry Quinlan, The Grid

[sblock=Computer]Terry found himself conflicted. Genie seemed to be clearly worked up about the associations of someone she'd never met, and despite his mission, the young hacker found himself sympathizing. What was wrong with him? He didn't used to be like this. What the heck had happened to the casual amorality that served him so well as a hacker in the past? All this saving the world stuff must have been affecting him more than he wanted to admit.

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer," he tried, hoping it might assure Genie without forcing him to commit to too much. I'm gonna feel really dumb if this is a trap... he thought.[/sblock]

On the trip to Vegas, Grid busied himself getting a feel for which surveillance satellites might be in a convenient orbit. He decided it was better to try to get in after they landed, since he didn't want anyone waiting at the airport if he mucked this up. It'd been a while since he'd tried a high level hack like this.

Once they were ground-bound and booked a room, he set to work. The security protocols were thick and nasty, but with a fair bit of cyber-sweet-talk, he had them all turned around as he slipped between them.

"Boo-yah!" he called out. "We have visual," he announced, hooking the feed in so the others could see.

[sblock=ooc]Whew. Skin of his teeth on that one. :) I rolled an 'assessment' roll for the lab, since Grid has Skill Mastery, which I believe means he can take 10 on tech checks if he wants to. I figure if he has a decent enough check, he can figure out if he needs to push to get through, or if his normal skills would be sufficient?[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Frost

Frost looks a bit lost at the others. He has no great monetary reserves and isn't sure what Uomo means by securing a room. Just the normal meaning or is it again his spy slang? Anyway, he wonders what Uomo's code name is after he asks Laura to choose one for herself..

[sblock=OOC]

----

Frost

HP 1

conditions: normal

defenses:
DODGE 7
PARRY 7
FORTITUDE 9
TOUGHNESS 13 (13 Impervious)
WILL 8

Immunity (poison, disease, crit, suffocation, cold)

[/sblock]
 

BBs

First Post
despite being a poor sport on the van ride there, Laura could barely keep herself in her seat. She was so excited to go to Las Vegas as she has never been there before, and only hearing great stories from it despite the saying "whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." Somehow managing to contain her excitement as they got off the plane, probably because of the whole lab-mutant-germ-apocalyptic mission. Listening intently on Uomo's speech, giving her thought to a code name ... and of course the securing with the room and what not.
 

Zerith

First Post
Felix was about going to inform Uomo that surveying the lab was smack dab in the middle of his skill set: then it struck Felix like a tone of bricks that Uomo was the hands on type of leader and aside from Uomo he was the only one with enough funds to pay for a worthwhile room. Felix’s face became a tangled knot of thinly veiled rage; his brow scrunched together, his mouth tweaked to the right and right eye twitched along with it as a vain throbbed along his temple. "daaa-am it…" he swore pathetically under his breath. He briefly pinched his lower lip between his teeth as Uomo walked away before pouting “Why do I have to pay for everything!?” with puffed cheecks and a begrudging, aggravated tone.
Felix then turned to Grid, leeringly, and stated “I Don’t suppose you would mind helping me find a hotel then?”

Once the mundane search began he would look for hackle Grid into looking for either two adjoining rooms or a decent multi bedroom suite, and while he by no means was aiming for the bottom of the barrel, he did not plan on paying through the nose either.

OoC: Voda, if you see something I need to work on in my posts (spelling/gramer errors) tell me or else I can't fix them :p
 
Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
At Felix complains, Uomo searched beneath his coat and produced a credit card, and threw it at the werecat. "Has your name on it, draws from Gryphon's account." he winks and resumes his walk.

OOC: This post is impeccable. I meant the other one.
 

Jemal

Adventurer
The team splits up, Uomo and Cassandra heading to gather information on the town while the rest grab a rental van and hotel room.

<Hotel>
The larger group manages to secure a multi-room suite where Grid sets up for his hacking. After some poking around and careful maneuvering, he manages to find a military satellite that'll get the job done, routing the feed into a TV monitor.
The Lab has three entrances: A main entrance out front leading into the lobby, a side door leading into an alley, and a set of parking doors leading to the underground parking facility.
Thermal scans show activity on the two floors above ground, but beneath that is shielded too thick.. the basement(s?) will likely be where the target is.

Grid also manages to prod at the Labs security a bit. He finds that he is able to access their computer systems routinely, but they have nothing about the project or the mercs.. There must be a non-networked system down below for the sensitive information. He can access the cameras, but again, only on the top two floors, which shows nothing of consequence.
The double-layer of security on this is further confirmation that they're keeping something secret and important down below.

[sblock=computer]
"So they're your enemies then? You're working against the Hive?" Genie seems to perk up a bit "What about your friends, do they know or are you like a secret, double-agent spy?"
[/sblock]

OOC:
Jkason - Anything specific you're looking for with the satellite/cameras/hacking?

VV/Shayuri - if you guys are out 'gathering info', I need to know what you're doing, What kind of info you're looking for (General, or do you have specific questions?) Are you using your contacts? Are you out talking to random people? Are you taking your time? Are you trying to keep your interest in the place quiet? Also you'll need to make any appropriate rolls (Investigate for gather information primarily, others if you're doing anything else)

Shayuri - No post yet, busy or uninspired?

WD/BBs - You know you don't have to just quietly follow along and wait for someone to tell you what to do, right? If you guys want to go do something else, hit the casinos, head out on your own to do anything, etc...
 
Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Frost

Frost is plundering the minibar for snacks and looks for something strong to drink. He likes the fluids not to freeze to fast inside his mouth and learned quickly that he is no longer affected by alcohol.
"Hey, shall I call the room service to got you guys something, too?"

[sblock=OOC]

----

Frost

HP 1

conditions: normal

defenses:
DODGE 7
PARRY 7
FORTITUDE 9
TOUGHNESS 13 (13 Impervious)
WILL 8

Immunity (poison, disease, crit, suffocation, cold)

[/sblock]
 

Voda Vosa

First Post
Using his faked russian persona, Vittorio moves in the streets of Vegas as if he had been born there. With the shameless lie of conducting interviews for a the national agency of research about the flourishing research activity on Vegas, he gets into hotels, casinos, shops, stops people in the steet, gets in restaurants and even laundry shops.

[Sblock=actions]Uomo will try to get this information:
Mercs shifts and moves outside the lab(from variable: time when people see them in town).
General info about the lab.
Movements in and out of the lab (i.e. if there are services the lab consumes, like cattering and the like, that need to be transported inside by van.)
Info of the movements of the scientists working at the lab (like, are they in all day, or are seen in town?)[/sblock]
 

Zerith

First Post
Moments ago, after the room was swept, Felix went into the bathroom with a disgruntled expression and then took out his frustrations on an innocent roll, of toilet paper.
After a great and noisy struggle the door opened and the victor pranced out on all fours with the tattered remains in his mouth, spreading debris as he marched forwards joyously, partials of tissue paper floated in his wake and hung about his form.

He soon found himself bumping into Frost, shuddered roll in mouth, he craned his head up, looked at Frost, then glanced at the ruined object in his mouth, glanced back to frost Froest with widened eyes and rising hair, then back down at the piece of newly made trashed, repeated the process once or twice more, then looked to the kitchen, calmed down, shrugged and gave a halfhearted mer as he headed to the suite’s kitchen, pawed open the cabinet below the sink, deposited the kill in the trash can, gingerly kicked the door closed, and then started to peak though the rest of the kitchen in like manner; he basically hugged the drawers with his front paws and then leaned back to open them: it was rather clear he was fairly adept at manipulating things without proper hands.

Afterwards he pranced over to one of the room’s desks, hopped on top of it as more of the tissue paper fell of his coat, and then quickly made use of the provided pen and notepad after briefly humbling to get the cap of the pen off, maneuvered the pen into his mouth and then started writing swiftly; the writing was very mechanical in appearance, always strait with an absence of any kind of curve even when a letter called for it.

The Notepad read:
Latex gloves, small or smaller. Powdered!
Milk, whole
2 sticks of buttered, unsalted
Posta noodles, Fettuccine
...
The shopping list went on listing versus ingredients, spices, and even a few coking items. Some items, like “Chicken breasts, 2 pounds or more” were written with distinctively more care than other items, such as “Salt and Pepper” that seemed to be more of an afterthought.
After forming the list he would, assuming Frost fallowed him, draw Frost’s attention to it by pawing at it and nuging it towards him, if not he would pick it up in his mouth and then drop it in front of Frost and do the same, meowing as necessary.

Afterwards he would head back to the bathroom, where he had left his thing, get into his backpack, unravel one of the roles gingerly remove three hundred dolor bills, enough that he figured it would be more ample to pay for everything on the list.
he dropped the bills and then pranced over to look at the kitchen again. He could not help but let a pleased throbbing purr out of his thought as he breathed, he was finally freed from ordering room service and takeout every meal, they had a kitchen!

OoC: what, did you guys forget he can cook? :3
 

Shayuri

First Post
With Uomo as the intrepid reporter, interviewing people, Cassandra decides to play camerawoman for a change. While all the attention is on him, she takes the opportunity to watch people's faces without the distraction of having to concentrate on her story, or questions. She looks around, for details or clues that folks might try to hide from the obvious journalist, but not be so careful of so long as the camera isn't pointed at them.

It all came from something Jones, one of the guys who'd run camera for her once said. 'When you carry a camera, people think that's your eyes. They flinch when you point it at them...and if you point it away, they forget you can still see them.'

(Using Insight and Perception to try to notice important details and/or clues.)
 

BBs

First Post
After the group sets up in the hotel room, and Grid is doing his thing, Laura checks her pockets to find some change. She manages to find some and prepares to leave the room. "This is my first time in LA, if you find anything that requires me, I'll be at the gambling machines. Anyway we can keep in contact?"
 
Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Uomo and Cassandra head on the town gathering information for a few hours, talking to people all over about research facilities while hiding their interest in that *particular* facility by asking about several others as well.

General info about the lab.
Mercury Labs has been in in Vegas for seven years now, mostly dealing with pharmacological research. They are on the cutting edge and funded/contracted by a major drug company, so corporate espionage is a major concern, and their security is tight.
They seem to be 'open' 24 hours, with various scientists coming and going at all hours.
Mercs shifts and moves outside the lab(from variable: time when people see them in town).
Nobody seems to have any real information about the 'security guards' at this particular lab - most of the security guards around town tend to blend together, as there is a LOT of security in Vegas.
Movements in and out of the lab (i.e. if there are services the lab consumes, like cattering and the like, that need to be transported inside by van.)
Most of the Labs in Vegas keep fairly high security, and Mercury sets the bar. All outside services are acquired elsewhere and brought in by their 'personal security'.
Info of the movements of the scientists working at the lab (like, are they in all day, or are seen in town?)
The scientists at Mercury tend to work long hours, but are neither prisoners nor obsessed(well some may be..). They take in the sights and spend some of their downtime around town just like any other person, though like most Vegas Citizens, they try to avoid the tourist traps. They're very tight lipped about talking about work though.. one of them got a bit too drunk and slipped some info on a project six months ago, and was fired and sued for breaching his confidentiality contract.

From what Cassandra can tell, none of the citizens they've interviewed knows any real information on the Lab, they're just repeating what they've seen/heard. You need to find someone who might have an actual connection with the place.

OOC:
VV/Shayuri - In order to hide your interest with the deception it takes you extra time b/c you're essentially investigating multiple things to hide which one you're really looking into. If you guys want to go looking for a Scientist to 'interview', you should be able to find one, but getting him to talk will be far more difficult.

Shayuri - In the last thread you mentioned filing a story. What kind were you planning on filing? You could have sent it through Grid before heading out with Uomo.

Zerith - I believe Frost was just asking if anybody else wanted to order room service, he didn't indicate that he intended to go out, but if WD's ok with it he could do that.

BBs - I'm assuming everyone's been provided with basic 'pay as you go'/burner cell phones by uomo/felix. If you guys want more secure Commlinks, you'll have to spend equipment points on them, but with Grid the cell phones should be 'fairly' secure, as he can monitor them to see if they're being tapped into externally, and increase their security.
Also, How much money are you taking gambling, what kind of gambling, how long, are you drinking... details man! I need to know how much fun I can have with this. *evil grin* :)
 
Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Frost

Frost looks at the shopping list and the money and considers if he may go out or stay put. When Laura asked her question he raised his cell as an answer before saying.
"Just call me. And if you wait a moment, I will come with you, I got a shopping list."

[sblock=OOC]

----

Frost

HP 1

conditions: normal

defenses:
DODGE 7
PARRY 7
FORTITUDE 9
TOUGHNESS 13 (13 Impervious)
WILL 8

Immunity (poison, disease, crit, suffocation, cold)

[/sblock]
 

BBs

First Post
"Right, cellphones, thought there we some sort of advance walkie talkies ..." Laura looks towards Grid "Right, we have a walking, talking, highly super advance one." she gives him a smile for as a joke, then turns back to Frost "Sure I'll wait, be nice to have company, and stick together before going on our errands." She waits patiently, but seems excited.

OOC:
BBs - I'm assuming everyone's been provided with basic 'pay as you go'/burner cell phones by uomo/felix. If you guys want more secure Commlinks, you'll have to spend equipment points on them, but with Grid the cell phones should be 'fairly' secure, as he can monitor them to see if they're being tapped into externally, and increase their security.
Also, How much money are you taking gambling, what kind of gambling, how long, are you drinking... details man! I need to know how much fun I can have with this. *evil grin* :)

OOC: Oh boy oh boy oh boy, such fun! I'll post it in OC for my detailed plans, and hopefully go along with them as I'll post! ;)
 


Jemal

Adventurer
Frost and Laura head out into the hot Vegas afternoon loaded down with cash, seeming like any other couple of tourists out on the town... Except instead of heading straight into one of the casinos, they ask some directions to a local grocers and start stocking up for the night's feast courtesy of Felix the cat.

It takes a little while to gather all the ingredients on the list, and there was one close moment when Frost got an odd look from another passing shopper "isn't that cold?" he glanced down and realized he was leaning on a freezer, his hand resting on the frozen metal while he stood nonchalantly, seeming not to notice the cold.

OOC: If BBs would rather have Laura split and go gambling first please just post so, and then Frost can decide what he's doing after his shopping.
Also feel free to post where you're heading/what you're doing after the shopping, or if you intend to pick up anything other than the cooking supplies.
The 'freezer burn' thing is just a humorous side note, don't need to get caught up in it.. unless you want to. :)
 

Zerith

First Post
Felix was rather pleased when Frost accepted the task “Nyo!” he meowed happily with the development as he sat down, ears proudly raised, tail swaying slightly and eyes closed merrily.
__

When the duo hade left, he decided to be ready, and to get some other odds and ends squared away. He pranced back into the bathroom, and kicked the door closed lightly before kicking it closed, the sound of the shower running soon followed by the sound of clawed feet clacking on the tile floor before silence again won out.

Felix soon walked out, his hair slowly dripping and droplets rolling down his face and neck and onto dry clothes.
He had a large, mostly empty, bag of, presumably, dirty cloths in one hand and was pocketing a room key, change, and small bills with the other.
He made his over to Grid and ask “Do you have any laundry?”
After retrieving any articles from his younger, if presented, he would briefly look around the rooms and see if there was any articles that obviously needed to be washed; he would not open any drawers, suitcases of backpacks, but he would peak into any that were already open, and would check the closets (as they were a common depository for laundry when at a hotel) before taking the laundry and departing for the hotel’s Laundromat, where he would do the obvious task and then return.

Once he returned and the door was safely closed he would shift back into his familiar neutral form and set about the tedious task of neatly folding cloths and returning them to where they belonged.
Such as in his backpack, that he promptly repacked and then placed out of the way in the main room

He stood nearish in front of the door, expectantly, for nearly five seconds before setting off to the task of moving some of the sturdier chairs into the kitchen to use as stools as he worked, it was not built for someone of his stature. A new more, very short, moments passed and he found himself looking at the door again: he was not use to waiting when we wanted to cook, he was used to having everything on hand before he even thought about beginning, and it was a bit annoying to have to wait on something he always took for granted: ‘How long did they say they would be? Thirty minutes?’ he thought before it hit him that they gave him no eta, his left cheek and brow twitched, as did his tail.

In the end he had managed to get everything he planned on using out and in their own place ready for use, move a, then abandoned, chair into watchful position in front of the door and was curled up while taking a light catnap in front of one of the TVs on a bed, with a notepad with new drawing, and accompanying penciled, sprawled out beside him. Dick Dastardly and Muttley were playing on boomerang. Before abandoning his perch in front of the door he thought it wise enough to be short a certain pharmaceutical on the stock market.

OoC: even if he is merely a demi speedster, Felix is not one for waiting ;3
 

Walking Dad

First Post
Frost

Frost looks up at the freezer question, hastily removes his hand from the freezer and replies:
"Ouch, thanks, man. Hand got a bit numb lately. Shall really ask a doctor."
He than takes a step back. This was close and he takes extra effort not to bumping into anyone who could notice the hardness of his flesh and its icy temperature.
He dislikes being out in a desert. It was definitely to hot for his taste, but at least most rooms have a working air condition.

[sblock=OOC]

----

Frost

HP 1

conditions: normal

defenses:
DODGE 7
PARRY 7
FORTITUDE 9
TOUGHNESS 13 (13 Impervious)
WILL 8

Immunity (poison, disease, crit, suffocation, cold)

[/sblock]
 

COMING SOON! Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top