Gaming W/Jemal: Planar Quest IC (Prologue)

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
"And you're claiming that what we've been told makes us understand the Power? It's limits and possibilities? Enough to decide right now what the right course of action is? Maybe Wade told you something he didn't tell the rest of us?"
Ur considers... "We did not understand the nature of the dragoons before we decided to oppose them. We did not even hear the name 'Iridex' before we invaded his mountain-top retreat," he thoughtfully points out -- nevermind understanding his nature. Another pause for thought... "If we wait until some of us understand the Power to decide what to do with the Power, then aren't we already in the situation Braham fears so much?" The Power in the hands of the few, who will then decide what to do with it while they know precisely what they're giving up, having the temptation of exclusive use right at their fingertips? "I suggest we decide now what we would do if the Power is what we think it will be, Ying, then adjust as needed." As we always have, calmly beams his earnest gaze.

Darrian blinks and stares at Ur for a moment. "So you want to get the book so you can spread the Power to the many, as in all. The good, the bad, the self interested and the unknown. Should the Power start to be used by anyone to that extent eventually it could end up nothing more then another form of magic won't it. If you spread it wide you are not only ensuring those of ill intent get it to use as they wish but also that those with good intent can use it to protect. It will cause chaos, destruction, order, creation, upheaval and restoration." Darrian breaks into a huge smile. "I like it!" He leans on Ur casually. "You'll have pry it from my invisible, quick fingers as I try to hide it, but that sounds like some very interesting events. D'Raven would approve."
Hm... "I trust the goodness of the majority of Gods and mortals. Every time I wake. Every time I go to sleep... Isn't that why we do the things we do?" This last of course directed more towards the gathered members of the Legion than to Darrian himself.

He does take note of the young human's stated intentions though, for future reference.

[sblock=Assuming an eventual slack in the argumenting (?):]"Ying is right though: we are *still* missing a lot of pieces." He calmly looks up at the now once more towering, animated statue of cracked alabaster whose been looking down on them with seeming amusement this whole time: "What *was* the text of the Surrendering, Wade? What did each side agree to, and who was there to swear to it?"

A keystone piece in his mental structure, that one, the concepts on each side presently unsupported by anything save the *supposed* presence of this and that indentation in that very block.[/sblock]

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
"I do agree that we need to discuss it now" Braham replies "so that we can hopefully avoid the problem if and when we actually get the Book.

While it may be necessary or even desirable to spread the Power around to prevent its abuse I doubt it's that simple. Unless I misunderstood - and I hope to hear more from Wade - only a few people can even use the Power. We just happen to be among them. And think about the magic we know of - in theory almost anyone could study the arcane arts, but only a few people have what it takes to master them. And think, again, what might happen if every petty crook could throw fireballs. Or if using it has some long term side effect - some pollution of the world - that we won't see until it's too late. And besides all that, there is only one Book; and for all that we know, that could mean only one person at a time could use it.

No, it would be quite irresponsible to use or give out the Power before we understand it. And dangerous for a few to study it before others have it. The best thing, then, is to just hide it away."

Binder Fred

Ur shrugs: "Courage. Trust. Sacrifice." Fearing the shadows that might be just isn't his style. He does add, not un-gently but with utter conviction: "Hiding it has failed once, Braham. It will fail again."

No half-measures, says his steady gaze: not with stakes this high. Not ever.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Mei Ying blows air out her nose in a frustrated huff, then says to Wade, "I believe our consensus is that there is no consensus. We don't understand this power, even if some of the issues surrounding it are self-evident. There's a fair to decent chance that, once uncovered, we may not be able to hide it again even if that is what we decide to do. It seems clear to me that we should consider all possibilities at this point, and dismiss none. We can then seek the wise course as we learn, with eyes open and unblinded by prejudice."

Binder Fred

Which is basically what she's been saying all along, observes the dwarf: delay, don't decide, wait... (Somewhat typically, the fact that both Braham and himself disagree with her main point hasn't fazed her in the least.) "So consider now, Ying, if you are unsure. Ask your questions." With a simple gesture to their in-house expert(s). "You will not get another opportunity to learn before we get to the book." Which, possibly, is what she's angling for?

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
OOC: tried to post something yesterday... apparently it didn't go through or something...
Will try to repost when I can.

Shayuri

First Post
"I am asking," she replies tersely. "If I need to spell it out, so be it. Wade, what can you tell us about the book, the power, and our options on finding it?"

Jemal

Adventurer
"I am asking," she replies tersely. "If I need to spell it out, so be it. Wade, what can you tell us about the book, the power, and our options on finding it?"
Wade nods in agreement with many of Ur's statements and looks over at Mei Ying's question. "As I said, The book is knowledge. Everything known about the Power is in it. Or at least, everything that the old man knew when he wrote it - which is, I must humbly admit, far more than I know. The old man had spent centuries learning about the Power, studying it slowly and carefully. He didn't go mad, managed not to destroy himself or the plane he was sequestered on. He tapped every archive in existence and created a few new ones. He was a genius in both magic and science.. I think that was the key, actually..
You see, when I was young - and when I say Young, I mean YOUNG even by an elf's standards; maybe a century old, back when the war was still on - there was a rumour travelling around that the 'official word' on the beginnings of the universe wasn't true.
Officially, the Titans, Gods, and Stars all arose at the beginning and co-existed, creating life and magic and all the other things.. Just like I told you earlier.. But unofficially, there was a theory that the Gods and the Titans weren't as old as they claimed. That they were just the first two forms created by the Stars - the will of the universe - Titans given Science, Gods given Magic. It might just have been a conspiracy theory, but it would explain a lot."
Wade shrugs, shaking his head.

"The Power is what remains of the Stars, as the stars you see in the sky at night is what remains of their bodies, the Power is what remains of their.. essence, soul, Life force. They had the Power, Gods had their Divinity, and Titans had Science and Technology. The Power was by far the most.. powerful.. hence the name. It IS power, in the truest most pure sense.. in every sense."

"As far as Options.. The dwarf is most definitely right about several things. By the time you have opened the vault, it will be too late to make your decision, at that point it will be made for you. Also, there are other considerations.. Each path you may take has it's own preparations that will have to be made. Of course you COULD wait until you have the book and are standing out in the open with every major player in the cosmos gunning for you, and THEN argue over what to do with it, but..." Wade shrugs, cracked plaster flaking off him as new, fresh ivory seems to be growing underneath it to repair the damage.

"You see, if you wish to hide it, you should have a new vault ready and waiting when you remove it from the old one - To give those who would take it from you less time to find you and it, and less opportunity to take it from you.
Likewise, if you want to USE it, there are rituals that must be undertaken - you have the will and strength to hold the power, but using it in its entirety is a different story. Not being properly prepared for it can have quite frankly catastrophic consequences..
And finally, if you wish to try destroying it, there are artifacts that will need to be gathered to help the attempt."
You could just try to find the others who're looking for it, but.. now that the knowledge of it is out, more and more will learn, its power will seep out like a siren's song until either it is unleashed or silenced."

"You will not get another opportunity to learn before we get to the book."
He shakes his head at this statement, though "There is always opportunity to learn."

"In any case, however, if you need more time, there is one quest that can be accomplished regardless of your decision. You need to get the key, so you have until that task is done before you must finalize the decision... Granted, you COULD break in without it, and that is likely what your counter-parts will try, but here you have the upper hand. We already know how to find both the key and the vault, so we have a bit of leeway. With the key you will be able to bypass the vaults Considerable defenses."

Ur calmly looks up at the now once more towering, animated statue of cracked alabaster whose been looking down on them with seeming amusement this whole time: "What *was* the text of the Surrendering, Wade? What did each side agree to, and who was there to swear to it?"

"Do you mean the last time the book was stowed away? I wouldn't call it a 'surrendering', really.. more of an armistice.
The old man agreed to stop using the Power for anything but self defense, and to hide the book so nobody else could use it, if the Gods would agree to a few concessions.. they would no longer meddle directly on the material plane, only through third parties - Summoned angels or devils, granting divine spells, that sort of thing. They used to be a big pain down there, I heard. The old man wanted mortals to be able to live their lives instead of just being pawns in the gods games. His words, not mine. Secondly, that they would never look for or send agents to look for the book. They weren't even allowed to know where it was - the old man and all the gods basically stood in a corner having drinks and watching each other while the heroes finished their quest.. Though just because the Gods and their direct agents stayed out, doesn't mean it was a cakewalk! The Gods never agreed to STOP people from going after it, just that they wouldn't ever Send or Request anybody go after it. Far as I know, every being with direct Divine Power except for D'raven was at that party... well, and the Great Old Ones, but nobody's seen them since the Stars Died.. And on THAT note, there's one more faction they - and you now, I suppose - had to contend with. There are still some agents of the Stars left who think they can use the book to restore them to life."

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
"And I'm guessing the Stars won't be happy with all that has happened ever since, if they are ever going to be back." Tutek mutters.
"Ah, your intelligence is a bright beacon for us all, master." again, the ironic sorcerer chimes in. Tutek simply rolls his eyes.

Shayuri

First Post
"Tell us more about this 'Old Man,'" Mei Ying wants to know. "From what you're saying, he used the power, but only in limited ways. Who was he, and what did he want? Is he still alive?"

Remove ads