• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming W/Jemal: Planar Quest IC (Prologue)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Why not ask this elder for his assistance in hiding it and possibly masking the knowledge of the existence of this book?"

Jemal

Adventurer
"Wade, you mentioned that the 'old man' took some precautions when studying the Power," Mei-Ying muses. "He did so very slowly and carefully, and locked himself in a secret plane all to himself. You also have made very sure to mention that studying it did not drive him mad. These things suggest to me that study and mastery of the Power carry dangers."

"Can you tell us more about those dangers? It would influence, I think, those of us who wish to distribute knowledge of the power indiscriminately to all."
"Not much more than I already have. The Power is immense, far greater than mortal bodies and minds can handle.. Ironic since you're the only ones capable of using it.. Without special preparations, harnessing it in full would kill you, or at the least create destruction all around you, and without the proper study and great willpower, would turn you mad."
"Hm. There's also the issue of how the gods would react to the resurfacing of the Power. No one would be served by another war between near-omnipotent beings."
"I imagine they'd be irate, yes."
Ur shrugs, not really seeing the difference between dropping one's weapons and agreeing never to use them... "Doesn't the agreement stop him from teaching what he knows to others?" There would seem little point otherwise...
"Hmm... A good point... Well I wasn't there to say for certain, but I don't remember any mention of that.. though I'd imagine he'd avoid doing so - he'd have to find someone strong enough, someone he trusts, and he'd have to rewrite the book to do it properly."

"Why did he feel the Power needed to be preserved?" he asks Wade, echoing Ying's earlier question.
"Why not ask this elder for his assistance in hiding it and possibly masking the knowledge of the existence of this book?"
"Well, if you want to try finding him you could ask him yourself."

Shayuri

First Post
Mei-Ying nods.

"Finding him is likely to be something we have to do anyway. He hid the book in the first place, he can tell us...or someone else...how to find it. I'm sure at least some of the powers that want the book will think to search for him."

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
"Not much more than I already have. The Power is immense, far greater than mortal bodies and minds can handle.. Ironic since you're the only ones capable of using it.. Without special preparations, harnessing it in full would kill you, or at the least create destruction all around you, and without the proper study and great willpower, would turn you mad."
"Nothing like regular magic," deadpans the dwarf. He's lost count of the mad magic-users the Legion has had to fight in the last ten years, but he definitively remembers Iridex the lich... very well indeed.

"Hmm... A good point... Well I wasn't there to say for certain, but I don't remember any mention of that.. though I'd imagine he'd avoid doing so - he'd have to find someone strong enough, someone he trusts, and he'd have to rewrite the book to do it properly."
The dwarf's bushy eyebrows lower. "He didn't find anyone in 12 thousand years?" Either something *is* stopping the Last Entity from his teaching, or Wade is starting to pull his answers out of his proverbial, and probably very theoretical, nether end. Probably both. "And what does the book have to do with it?"

They said it was a repository of knowledge, blueprints to how the Power worked. Now it not only can but *has* to be re-configured for another to learn the power? Ur doesn't like stories with surprise ending -- never had, never would. He shares a look with Ying, and then Gerard: this is shaping up to be one of those stories.

<Response Wade?>

Mei-Ying nods. "Finding him is likely to be something we have to do anyway. He hid the book in the first place, he can tell us...or someone else...how to find it. I'm sure at least some of the powers that want the book will think to search for him."
"Split up then?" asks Ur, ever practical. "One group goes after the key, the other goes after the Last Entity. We think about what we want to do in the meanwhile. Meet back here."

Voda Vosa

First Post
"While I see the benefits of splitting the Legion, I shall advice against it: With the calibre of enemies we will surely face, it is my opinion that our forces must be joint to see victory." the ogre comments

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Nothing like regular magic," deadpans the dwarf.

Gerard snorts

The dwarf's bushy eyebrows lower. "He didn't find anyone in 12 thousand years?" Either something *is* stopping the Last Entity from his teaching, or Wade is starting to pull his answers out of his proverbial, and probably very theoretical, nether end. Probably both. "And what does the book have to do with it?"

They said it was a repository of knowledge, blueprints to how the Power worked. Now it not only can but *has* to be re-configured for another to learn the power? Ur doesn't like stories with surprise ending -- never had, never would. He shares a look with Ying, and then Gerard: this is shaping up to be one of those stories.

Ur sees Gerad's brow is wrinkled in that "I'm getting a headache" way.

"Split up then?"
asks Ur, ever practical. "One group goes after the key, the other goes after the Last Entity. We think about what we want to do in the meanwhile. Meet back here."

"While I see the benefits of splitting the Legion, I shall advice against it: With the calibre of enemies we will surely face, it is my opinion that our forces must be joint to see victory." the ogre comments

"I agree with Tutek, our adversaries are strong and power greedy to desire this book. They will indeed be tasking us at every corner to our limits of resources."

Jemal

Adventurer
OOC: I've said this IC, but people seem to keep missing it so I'm going to put JUST this here as a
[size=+2]DM ANNOUNCEMENT[/size]
It has been stated several times IC that the Old man DID NOT hide the book. He and the Gods were watching each other to make sure nobody peeked while the heroes hid the book.

He WROTE the book but did not HIDE it, and does not know where it is so far as you have been told.

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC - Which begs an interesting question! When the old man hid the book, did he realize that people would seek him out to try to find it agai...*lightning strikes from on high* AGH!)

:D

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Ur sees Gerad's brow is wrinkled in that "I'm getting a headache" way.

The dwarf raises a hand and matter-of-factly absorbs the pain.

"I agree with Tutek, our adversaries are strong and power greedy to desire this book. They will indeed be tasking us at every corner to our limits of resources."

Ur waits for either of them to continue, but as they do not, he inquires: "Priority target...? I would go for the key. I don't trust the Old Man." Which is true, but sort of odd considering he admired him greatly just seconds before, his sacrifice of the Power so that the universe could be spared... That was before he heard how they got into that particular situation in the first place.

Remove ads