• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamma World - Wheres the love?

frank_blankenship

First Post
Does anyone know what is planned for the Gamma World property know that WW/S&S has had their 6-book run?

Is it now poised to become a d20 Modern campaign sourcebook like Dark Matter has?

Any thoughts? I have the 6-book run of GW from S&S and I like it. I also have the 1993 version, which is as close to D&D 2nd ed as it got. Seems pretty simple to use material from one in the other. Anyone done this?

Where are some good Gamma World maps I can use?

Any fansites for the latest edition?

Tetsubo

First Post
frank_blankenship said:
Does anyone know what is planned for the Gamma World property know that WW/S&S has had their 6-book run?

Is it now poised to become a d20 Modern campaign sourcebook like Dark Matter has?

Any thoughts? I have the 6-book run of GW from S&S and I like it. I also have the 1993 version, which is as close to D&D 2nd ed as it got. Seems pretty simple to use material from one in the other. Anyone done this?

Where are some good Gamma World maps I can use?

Any fansites for the latest edition?

I've got endless love for GW, just not the S&S version...

There are a number of Yahoo groups and quite a few websites dedicated to the game.

Most of the true fans didn't seem to like the S&S version. My favorite is the 4th edition set of rules. They were really precursors to 3.0 D&D...

As far as I know there are no plans of any kind to do anything with the GW license. I would however love to see a d20 version done up based off of the Omega World rules...

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Tetsubo said:
My favorite is the 4th edition set of rules. They were really precursors to 3.0 D&D...

I was partial to the Alternity version, once the Dragon Magazine article fixed the lack of mutant animals.

With Fourth Edition as a reference, you can make a solid d20 Gamma World with Savage Species (for the templates, including Anthropomorphic), d20 Modern, d20 Future, and d20 Apocalypse. Then, it's just a matter of adding other sourcebooks as needed to increase the strangeness.

The S&S books have incredible flavor material, though. If you have extra money or you can get a good price on them, I highly recommend them for the reading.

buzz

Adventurer
Committed Hero said:
I thought it was Modern compatible - doesn't it use the same basic classes?
The WW/S&SS is d20M-based. It's bolts on a lot of extra rules, but d20M is the book they tell you to buy to run it.

I think frank just meant that it might literally become a WotC d20M supplement... which would be great, IMO. I doubt we'll see it anytime soon, though.

Mycanid

First Post
buzz said:
I think frank just meant that it might literally become a WotC d20M supplement... which would be great, IMO. I doubt we'll see it anytime soon, though.

Now THIS would be an interesting thing to see! I LOVED the TSR Gamma World setting and the ideas around it. Just never really liked where they seemed to take it, either with emphasis or rule development (and I am NOT a rules lawyer sort at all)!

buzz

Adventurer
Mycanid said:
Now THIS would be an interesting thing to see! I LOVED the TSR Gamma World setting and the ideas around it. Just never really liked where they seemed to take it, either with emphasis or rule development (and I am NOT a rules lawyer sort at all)!
I'd like to see it simply because I trust WotC will put out a single volume that has all you need (save for d20M) to run GW... as opposed to padding it out to six overpriced, underdeveloped books and 1000+ pages.

Sorry, I'll stop.

Remove ads