• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gary Gygax: A Brief Gencon Xl Report

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I was one of the lucky people who got you to sign my 1st edition AD&D books as well as my autograph book. (You graciously made a reference to Futurama for me.) My wife got some wonderful pictures of you and I.

I can't tell you what an honor it was to meet you as I have been a deep admirer of yours since 1981 when I first started playing D&D.

Thanks for being so great for the fans! May you have many, many, many more adventures. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Clefton Twain said:
I don't know how I did it, but I missed getting to meet you, which was at the top of my list of things I wanted to do. I either got too busy or couldn't find you. Next year I will be sure to bring my "Divining rod of Gygax-seeking."

--CT
You can't miss me at a con here in Lake Geneva--two a year and fun too ;)

If I make GenCon XLI check for me at the Troll Lord Games booth.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Erik Mona said:
It was great having you at the booth for the two signings, Gary! It was such a pleasure to sit next to you and listen to all of the gamers speak about the positive impact D&D has made on their lives. A real treat.

Let's do it again next year!

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing, LLC
Mutual admiration for sure :D

I read your blog thanks to a link on the Gaming with Gary Gygax thread here, and I am mostpleased to have been your guest.

See above for my comment regarding next year's GenCon.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Keeper of Secrets said:
I was one of the lucky people who got you to sign my 1st edition AD&D books as well as my autograph book. (You graciously made a reference to Futurama for me.) My wife got some wonderful pictures of you and I.

I can't tell you what an honor it was to meet you as I have been a deep admirer of yours since 1981 when I first started playing D&D.

Thanks for being so great for the fans! May you have many, many, many more adventures. :)
You have my thanks...and...

From your lips to God's ear :D

Ciao,
Gary

johnsemlak

First Post
I'm sure others have said it before, but meeting you, and having my photo taken with you, and having some things signed was easily the highlight of my first Gen Con. I was honored that you remembered me from the forum.

I regret that I didn't have a game book I consider truly seminal such as my 1e DMG or something similar to get autographed. I hope to do that someday.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
johnsemlak said:
I'm sure others have said it before, but meeting you, and having my photo taken with you, and having some things signed was easily the highlight of my first Gen Con. I was honored that you remembered me from the forum.

I regret that I didn't have a game book I consider truly seminal such as my 1e DMG or something similar to get autographed. I hope to do that someday.
A nice selection of GenCon photos, yours.

Now if I can only keep the name and the face together--something really hard to do when I meet so many new people at every con I attend :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

johnsemlak

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
A nice selection of GenCon photos, yours.

Thanks. My photo skills aren't the best but taking photos was my 2nd main objective after meeting you. I'm (currently) a schoolteacher and I wanted to have a fun selection to show the kids when school begins soon.

Now if I can only keep the name and the face together--something really hard to do when I meet so many new people at every con I attend :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

Funnily enough, with my height and also a poor memory for names myself, I usually find that people remember me far better than I remember them. As a good friend told me once, 'You stand out.'

Of course, with someone who has met as many people as you, you'll most certainly be forgiven.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
johnsemlak said:
Thanks. My photo skills aren't the best but taking photos was my 2nd main objective after meeting you. I'm (currently) a schoolteacher and I wanted to have a fun selection to show the kids when school begins soon.

Funnily enough, with my height and also a poor memory for names myself, I usually find that people remember me far better than I remember them. As a good friend told me once, 'You stand out.'

Of course, with someone who has met as many people as you, you'll most certainly be forgiven.
Yes, John,

You are of a notable height--but did you see my son Luke and his two pals? I am used to looking up of course :lol:

Cheerio,
Gary

marimacc

First Post
Thank you soo much for coming, it was a real honor to meet you. My friend Dave Spicer was quite thrilled that you had remembered him. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
marimacc said:
Thank you soo much for coming, it was a real honor to meet you. My friend Dave Spicer was quite thrilled that you had remembered him. :)
:D

It was a blast being at GneCon again...exhausting for me these days, but a great time nonetheless.

An unusual name is generally a cinch to recall. Name and face together is the trick I have trouble performing. Most likely that is because I tend to concentrate most on what is being said to me and forget to pay careful attention to names and phycisal appearances.

Cheerio,
Gary

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads