Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

Goodbye Gary You Are Missed Already

Thank you for all you have done and shared with so many of us.

I thank you for your humor, insight, honesty, courage, forethought, and willingness to be yourself.

Who will send people off to read those machinist catalogs now when someone is being an idiot?

Thank YOU, for you time with us.

I shall remember you in our prayers, God Speed Gary, all the Trolls will be drinking in your honor I am sure. I must call those that I know and drink with them in your honor.

Toast to the Colonel!

Peter LaCara

Explorer
If the measure of a life is in hours of joy created, then we have indeed lost a great man.

I remember the day when I was 10 years old and my best friend borrowed the Rules Cyclopedia from the library clear as crystal. I played an elf and fought some giant rats in a latrine before defeating a doppelganger in an inn.

Thirteen years later and most of my friends I've met through roleplaying. Most of the girls I've dated were gamers of one sort or another. I'm currently in college studying game design because of the way this man inspired me.

I can't think of a single person other than my immediate family who has touched my life this much, and I never even met the man. Now I never will.

He had better have been guarding some really, really good stuff.

caudor

Adventurer
I find I cannot sleep until I put my sadness into words. This wonderful man's passion touched so many lives. I'm really choked up right now. All I can say is...

May you rest in peace, Mr. Gygax.

I offer my condolences to Gary's family and friends.

PoeticJustice

First Post
Man...

D&D is the superlative method of enjoying the company of other nerds. It's like nerd-ball. Cheap, flexible, rich with tradition and very easy to become passionate over. God willing, I'll play forever.

The other thing that really struck me was when I realized Gary Gygax actually posted a Q&A thread. And that he let people just come out and relax on his porch. Quite a friend to the nerd, he was.

I thought about ending this post with a bit of poetry, but I think Gary'd be a bit happier to know that I introduced an NPC tonight in his honor . He's named Zargyg, he's an Oracle and a cleric of Boccob. My players like him.

This way, Gary, you'll ever be telling my players what lies in Heatherwick Ruins or Mythandalus's Forge and bringing them back to life after neglecting to mention may live beneath.

Tom Liles

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
His physical form may have died but this man has already achieved immortality.

A toast for your memory Mr. Gygax.

Nyaricus

First Post
Words almost fail me.... Thanks to Mr. Gygax, I had a stable pillar of refuge throughout a tempestuous period of my life, and when all and everyone had left me, I still had my books and an imagination brought to fruit by a fantastic game.

Gary, I have never met you sir, but you and I are good friends. I have never played at your table, but I have brought that table to my friends many a weekend night. Thank you sir, your game has positively affected my entire life, and your passing hurts me sorely. May you roll all 20s for the next leg of the journey.

R.I.P. Father of The Game

--Ryan

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
(whelmed look, tears, despair, hopelessness, helpless horror)

I cannot give a fit tribute to Gary Gygax. I apologize. Certainly, he deserves a fit tribute.

I would like to say that his game probably saved my life. It gave me joy and happiness, brought friends and activities, at a time in my life when there was no joy, hope, friends, or happiness.
Is that enough? That his creation very likely saved my life? I offer more.

His creation kept me young at heart. I took it's spirit to heart, and I stayed young. Everyone else around me grew old before their time. It would have happened to me, too. But his creation kept that from happening.

His creation gave me a defense against horror and pain, from which there was no other defense. The horror and pain went on for years, but his creation allowed me to shield myself, fight back against that pain.

Because of his creation, I found a lot of friends. I had never had many friends, and I probably would have had none, but for his creation. Some of those friends are friends today, after many years.

I would dedicate my IRs on ENWorld to Gary Gygax. I tried to run them in the spirit of what Gary Gygax created. If anyone from the IRs reads this, would they second that?

Is it enough that I am feeling totally crushed? Totally flattened? In tears? So depressed as to be almost incoherent?

No. My tribute is only a small and poor one. I'm just a small and insignificant little person.
But at least I can say that I think Gary Gygax was a great and majestic person, who remained young all his life, who loved children and the child in everyone, who believed and who dreamed. Especially, who dreamed. Especially, who dreamed.

I wish we could honor Gary Gygax by keeping his Legacy alive. Pen and paper roleplaying, creativity, imagination, escapism, roleplaying ... and fun. Especially, fun. And friends. Pepsi. Pizza. Dice. A lot of clattering, thrown dice. Paper. Cluttered character sheets.
We should preserve his Legacy. We owe him that. We *owe* him that.

Edena_of_Neith

Thurbane

First Post
I think this quote from Wiki sums it all up perfectly:

"I would like the world to remember me as the guy who really enjoyed playing games and sharing his knowledge and his fun pastimes with everybody else."

...we will, Gary, we will.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases