Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Whisperfoot said:
I have to admit that I found myself tearing up several times today, especially when reading through the tributes to him. It was hard to stay seated at my desk and continue pounding out the product I'm currently working on, knowing that the man who made this possible is no more. Tonight I took a walk as I typically do a couple times a week. I like to walk through the neighborhoods where I grew up, circle around the highschool and all the sports fields surrounding it, and then walk back to my house. Tonight was a clear windless night with crisp cold air and bright stars above. As I walked, it occurred to me how lucky I was that I was to be alive to savor this walk. A human life is the blink of an eye to the universe, but if you add up all of the time from all of the lives Gary Gygax positively affected, it is no mere blink of an eye.

As I saw the familiar sites of my childhood, I was reminded how large a role D&D played in my young life and how that was all possible because of this one man who contributed so much and was always there for his fans, all the way until the end. On the way back around the highschool I saw something unusual. Deer! Two of them -- one of which was not fifty feet away. That had never happened before. I returned home, sat down, neared my daily wordcount goal, read some more memorials, and quietly thanked Gary for this wonderful living he made possible. And then I reminded myself again how lucky I am to be alive and wished that this wonderful man could be the same.

Thank you Gary, for everything. Thank you. With luck we'll meet one day, but hopefully not for a many, many years.
Great post, Darrin. You made me all teary. :eek: :p

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Coming in a bit late, but add one more voice to the chorus of fond goodbyes to a man never met but somehow always known.

Condolences to Mr. Gygax's family and friends.

Lanefan

p.s. Alzrius (sp.?) - brilliant tribute rewording of American Pie, above in this thread - can someone please archive it?

Felonious Monk

First Post
I sort of found out by accident, but didn't believe it until I read it here. The world's worse off without him, but at least it can be said that he made an impact while he was here. I can honestly say I would not be the person I am today if not for E. Gary Gygax, and his passing has cut me to the core. May his legacy live on in the stories he told and the lives he touched.

ILM

Olive

Explorer
I, to my surprise, actually did cry after reading the Order of the Stick.

I'm a gamer before I'm almost anything (except a father I think). It defines me in all sorts of ways. That, indirectly, is thanks to Gary Gygax. He was one of my earliest heroes and I'm sad he's gone.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Sad news indeed.

We salute you, Great EGG. I think I shall dig out my old 1st Ed. DMG and read a bit of Gygaxian prose in tribute.

Aris Dragonborn

First Post
SciFi.com has the news as well.

Some of the best times in my life have come as a result of Dungeons & Dragons.

Most of my friendships began because of Dungeons & Dragons.

I owe quite a bit to this game, and to one man.

Gary Gygax.

Thank You Gary, for your creation, and for your dedication to your games.

Rest In Peace.

Goldmoon

First Post
Rest in Peace, sir. No matter what trials and troubles I was experiencing, I could always gather 'round the table with friends and play. A module never judged me, a rulebook never called me names and dice never turned their back when I needed them. Mr Gygax, you gave me joy, adventure and fellowship and for that, you will always be dear to my heart. Tonight, I set an empty place at my table for you and salute your life and the lives youve touched.

Remove ads