Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

Iago Planetarius

First Post
I guess I shouldn't be surprised how sad I feel now.

Even though the path of life has only led me to play in just a few campaigns, D&D has been a big part of my life. Since the first time I perused my elder cousin's 1e MM, and then elatedly received the Red Box for Christmas, I've spent countless hours pondering the possibilities - both by myself, and with some of the coolest/weirdest/creativest/cleverest people alive.
To this day, some 25-ish years later, I still find myself mulling over adventures and characters, though they will likely never see the light of day; constantly seeking pen-and-paper groups in the far-flung lands I travel; and keeping abreast of all things RPG, if only as a quiet, distant ENWorld Lurker.

Why?

Just because it's the best fun imaginable.

So long, Mr. Gygax. Thanks for everything.

cougent

First Post
I can't say anything that has not already been said, but yet I feel the need to say it anyway.

I never met Gary in person, but yet I feel like I knew him anyway. His impact on my life as with others is immeasurable. When I was introduced to AD&D in 1981 at 18 in college, it was a truly life changing event. Here was an avenue to be creative, expressive, and was just a lot of fun all at the same time. I still have the most fond memories of those early games and friends. Those were up until then the best times of my life. Knowing they would not have existed but for this man is huge for me. I have had many fun times since then as well and am still thankful to him for his work.

When I came to EN World, I was dumbfounded to see that "THE" Gary Gygax was a poster here on this site, and not just a poster who put forth opinions or dissertations as he easily could have from "on high"; but rather actually did Q&A posts and talked to the regular gamer like just another regular gamer. This reinforced my already existing hero worship of this great man even more.

I will miss his posts, I will miss his humor, and even without meeting him in person I will miss him greatly! I wish his family all the best at this time and hope they are somehow comforted by the knowledge that he gave so much to so many.

solkanar33

Explorer
Very sad news indeed!
A great man is no more. His legacy will live forever.

Fly away on the back of a mighty gold dragon to eternal rest, oh brave one!

Condolences to his familie and friends for their loss.

Mystaros

First Post
Sympathy from Bob Bledsaw

Dear Friends,

Gary and I have known each other practically all of our adult lives, and I have always held great admiration for his achievements. Beginning in 1975, we worked with phone calls and handshakes, and there were no contracts or lawyers, but the industry grew up around us and other people changed things. Yet, he and I remained friends throughout all the years, so I wish to say goodbye to one of the Great Leaders and the Hero of our industry... E Gary Gygax.

I send my deepest sympathy to his family and friends in this time of shadow.

Holding Many Fond Memories,

Bob Bledsaw

Via e-mail from his son, Bob Bledsaw Jr.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I really only knew him from the posts on ENWorld, and of course his AD&D stuff. But I feel shocked and very sad. I hadn't cried for a celebrity death since Freddie Mercury.

It's really hard to imagine how much he impacted the world as we know it, considering how much can be traced back to the roots of D&D. Besides AD&D and RPGs itself, I think he had a huge impact on the English language. Would words like "tome" really be in such common useage today if he hadn't used them?

Deadguy

First Post
Normally I wouldn't "me too" but Gary's death has affected me like so many others here. Like them, Gary changed the person I grew up to be, gave me friends and kept me entertained. I'm sure like many parents he must have been exasperated at times at the directions his offspring went in, but like a proud parent he remained always interested, always willing to offer advice. For all our differences, we are a lot alike, we gamers and we owe that to Gary.

My condolences to his family. I hope it helps them to know that Gary left behind a wider family, millions strong, who will always remember him.

Allanon

Explorer
Thank you Gary, for giving me a hobby that allowed me to be... me.

May you rest in peace, and condolences to your family.

Signed,

Jeroen Klapwijk

Remove ads