Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
In Remembrance...to the 1st Dm of DMs.

I am now releasing photos, taking last year at Gen Con, during Tracy & Laura Hickman's Killer Breakfast.

I had a backlogged of shots that needed editing. I made the effort to get these out. The best were selected.

Gary at Killer Breakfast...

If it was not for Tracy's personal invite to come and see this event. These shots wouldn't have been possible.

Tracy, thank you.

Last edited:

Psionicist

Explorer
This animated picture took a few days to track down, it's the picture my brother (Decamber) used as a signature here when he was still active here several years ago. I think it's appropriate.

gygax.gif

My condolences to the Gygax family. Gary will be missed.

pjrake

Explorer
thank you gary gygax for introducing me to D&D, a life-changing event in my life and something i still hold dear to my heart. rest in peace.

-PJ

grapplethetroll

First Post
Late Tuesday evening I felt an overwhelming need to create my own tribute to Gary. He had a pivotal role, through the part he played in creating Dungeons and Dragons, in my surviving adolescence. I'd not be the responsible, mature, and grounded person I am today without what he's given me in this game. I grabbed my gear, and shot this:
2311078537_50f0af3478.jpg

I call it: Pouring Some Out For My Homie

Thanks, Gary.

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Along with our special KODT tribute strip PDF, we're planing some sort of tribute in Gary's memory, with Knights of the Dinner Table magazine #138. Along with the special cover, we may collect thoughts/comments posted on our forums to include in the magazine.

If you want to send letters for consideration on the letters pages you can email them to jolly(at)kenzerco.com

Gargauth

First Post
My power was out almost all day on Tuesday and while my 4 month old son was sleeping, I was looking around for something to do. Since I didn't have internet access, I knew nothing of the situation but for some reason I picked up Keep on the Borderlands and read the entire thing without stopping in amazement at the man's many skills. I hadn't picked up one of EGG's modules in five years but... well there you go. It is sad that it takes someone's death to make them realize how incredibly important they were to you. Here's to you Gary.

Thanks Gary, you'll be missed. I'd say rest in peace but the sentiment would be misplaced -- I'd rather your rest be spent rolling 20's.

Lfe may be finite, but the adventrues you have given us are infinite.

Sanguinemetaldawn

First Post
Some of Gary's wisdom

From RPGnet http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/columns/lynch25may01.html

RPGNet: Any hard-gained nuggets of wisdom you can share with us as a parting measure? What's best in life, and what do we have to do to get there?

Gary: Here is some of the wisdom I have garnered over the years:

If you love the work you do it is much like play, not work, so you can enjoy so much more of your life that way.

Gaming is likely the second best thing in life. If you don't know what the first is, I ain't a'gonna tell you.

Don't play with bumble bees.

A deal isn't done until the check has cleared the bank.

The bit of writing you like best in a work you are doing is likely the part that should be tossed out.

Cash is always better than credit, save when it comes to creative credit. In that case get both!

Be careful if asked for advice, as it's likely the one asking won't want to hear what you have to say. Besides, likely your advice isn't all that good anyway. So, that fits this picture, no?

And his last answer to his Q & A here:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=193204&page=54&pp=30&highlight=gygax

Absolutely!

As I have pointed out often in the past, has anyone ever seen a mythological or folklore depiction of a female dwarf that lacked chin whiskers?

Yours for factual dwarven Physiognomy,

Gary

You will be missed Colonel.

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
My condolences to his family.

His contribution to the world will only ever be limited by the imaginations of the vast multitude who have experienced it, enjoyed it, and shared it. That's quite a legacy by anyone's standards.

Thank you, and rest in peace, Gary.

Last edited:

Remove ads