Level Up (A5E) Gaze of conviction

Odin11b

First Post
I have a question regarding gaze of conviction. It says that the creature must move closer and must make as many attacks as it can against you. Does that mean that it can only take actions that require an attack roll or is it able to use abilities or spells so long as I’m a target (I.e fireball, hold person, breath weapon)

thuter

Explorer
The first seems to be the case. I would even say it may not be allowed to cast spells that make spell attacks... Instead the target would be forced to use the 'Attack Action', albeit to the full extent of it. I am unsure if the target is intended to be allowed to just step 5 feet closer and then make an (improvised) ranged attack. Seems unintended, considering the 30 ft. range.

I would even say it may not be allowed to cast spells that make spell attacks... Instead the target would be forced to use the 'Attack Action', albeit to the full extent of it.
i'd say that RAW they'd only be forced to take the attack action instead of use a spell attack if they have extra attack (i.e. more attacks from the attack action then from casting a spell), but RAI i doubt it's supposed to matter. although it does introduce an interesting rules interaction where if you use it on an enemy with the Perfect Assault maneuver and they fail the save, they'll be forced to come up on you and use it on you (since a usage of that maneuver is "as many attacks" as they can make), draining their exertion pool and giving them a level of fatigue in a single turn. so, uh...i guess that's neat? say goodbye to your skeleton, though.

but yeah, no, "attacks" specifically refers to actions that trigger attack rolls. no fireball for you.

Remove ads