• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GC 2006 - Ptolus Hardback $120!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedgeski

Adventurer
The book itself has 'collector's item' written all over it (well, metaphorically). I fully expect to see a huge slew of things that have never been done before, presented in new and interesting (and hopefully useful) ways, with fantastic artwork, and of exceptional mechanical quality.

$120 (probably £60-70 when it gets to the UK) is still a helluva lot of money for a single book though. I'm itching to get this product, but I'll want to see every penny of that outlay in its pages.

Sammael said:
Don't get me wrong; there is nothing intrinsically wrong with the flavor, I just don't like it. I'd never run Furry... I mean Arcana Unearthed/Evolved....

Yet you feel compelled to constantly take these little slams and digs? Me personally I am not a Furry fan, but you've gone off and tried to slam both Malhavoc and those who like the Furry thing. <shrug> I hope you can find something that makes you happy.

Anyway, regarding the price, I thought Monte said at the seminar that it wasn't determined yet? A lot of the seminar material will be on his website this Thursday.

JoeBlank

Explorer
I have no problem with Monte charging what the market will pay for this book. In fact, I like that there are high-end d20 products out there. I don't buy many of them, mostly because I'll never get the chance to use them, but I think it looks good for our hobby to have high-end products. It reinforces the fact that the stereotype of the teenager in his parent's basement is wrong. There are plenty of gamers working good paying jobs who can afford this.

With WLD cover priced at $100, this makes sense. WLD is a great book, and it sounds like Ptolus will include even more bells and whistles. If Amazon discounts it, I might go for it.

Seems to me Amazon is a big factor in book prices these days anyway. I recall from my economics classes that coupons and sales are a way to for a company to play both ends of the supply and demand spectrum. If a company can sell a product at full price to the people willing to pay full price, and at a discounted price to bring in those consumers who wanted the product but were not willing to pay quite as much, that is just smart business.

It worked on me with WLD. I waited for the big discount at Amazon, and after seeing the book I think I would have been happy paying cover price. As Buttercup mentioned, many DVD collections go for this price range. I would rather pay $120 for a book, some maps, and a CD, all with content new to me, that for a few seasons of a television show I have already seen.

Bobitron

Explorer
I'll check it out, but I'll be honest; the thing that will sell me on it will be the art. If the art isn't up to par, I'll pass.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Hmmm....

$120 for a 640-page full-color product with handouts, a CD, and a poster map?

If it's available on amazon, it would probably be for $79.20. (And, make that $71.28 with my gold box coupon.)

Sounds great! :D

Henry

Autoexreginated
No slams on Monte, but purely and simply, Ptolus at that price wouldn't be a sale to me. Whether he cut it into three books, where I could buy one book per quarter, or dropped it in price, or some other change, I could handle, but I couldn't justify one book for that.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Henry said:
No slams on Monte, but purely and simply, Ptolus at that price wouldn't be a sale to me. Whether he cut it into three books, where I could buy one book per quarter, or dropped it in price, or some other change, I could handle, but I couldn't justify one book for that.

But it's not just a book...it's an adventure!

;)

Sammael

Adventurer
Varianor Abroad said:
Yet you feel compelled to constantly take these little slams and digs? Me personally I am not a Furry fan, but you've gone off and tried to slam both Malhavoc and those who like the Furry thing. <shrug> I hope you can find something that makes you happy.
Fact: Arcana Unearthed/Evolved features several anthropomorphic animals as playable races, more than any other RPG I've seen in the recent times.
Fact: Another term for anthropomorphic animals is "furries"

I don't think I've stated anything wrong. I don't like furries, but I highly doubt that people who do like them would be bothered by my comment. I simply implied that I consider Arcana Unearthed a furry setting.

<shrug>

I own lots of sourcebooks that make me happy. Unfortunately, most Malhavoc books do not fill that criteria (Beyond Countless Doors excepted, as it is a superb book).

shaylon

First Post
I think it was expected to be this much, at least that was early speculation from the threads here when it was announced. It is a lot of money, but I am sure it will be interesting. I doubt that I would pay full price but then again I need to see more about it before I determine how useful it will be to me.

-Shay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads