Gelatinous Cube vs. Swap Places

Time Machine

First Post
I've been playing a few of the encounters from KotS to try and learn the mechanics of 4E. I thought I had a pretty good handle on them until I ran into this situation:

The group was fighting a Gelatinous Cube in a 10' wide hallway. The Warlord's turn came up. Having expired his Daily power, I looked to his Encounter power "Leaf on the Wind". The hit effect states "You or an ally adjacent to the target swaps places with the target." I briefly visualized this maneuver in my head and immediately burst out laughing. After I recovered, I tried figuring out if this was in fact possible under 4E rules.

Is there anything in the rules (other than the common sense of the DM) to prevent powers with "swap places" abilities from working on gelatinous cubes? How about larger creatures in general? I could see fighting a giant or dragon in such a way that you duck underneath and wind up on the other side, but the GC example takes my suspension of disbelief to the limit.

FadedC

First Post
Some creatures are immune to being moved. Obviously the cube is not one of them, but if you really feel that it should be your always free to add that ability. That's well within the spirit of the game and the modifyng monsters guidelines.

A. Smith

First Post
You know, I have absolutely no idea. Time for Rule 0/common sense, I guess.

Bah, never liked the bastards anyways. a cube of jelly that digests people.[/i] Really.[/i]

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Someone want to explain to my why you SHOULDN'T be able to swap places with a GC? I get that they are squishy and you're liable to be sucked in if you push at it, but why would a swap places power be limited to pushing the monster out of the way? (I suppose it would be hard to describe Bull Rushing it...

Fitz

Saitou

First Post
FitzTheRuke said:
Someone want to explain to my why you SHOULDN'T be able to swap places with a GC? I get that they are squishy and you're liable to be sucked in if you push at it, but why would a swap places power be limited to pushing the monster out of the way? (I suppose it would be hard to describe Bull Rushing it...

Fitz
Gelatinous Cubes aren't just squishy, they barely have a membrane. This is what enables unaware adventurers to walk right into them.

As to the topic at hand, I'd simply rule that you either don't move the Cube, try to move it but are sucked in, or move it but go through and take some digestive acid damage. I like the third option best.
But prone? Yeah, that's not happening.

Dormain1

Explorer
PC(Thokk): I want to bull rush the gelatinous cube
DM: Are you sure?
PC(Thokk): yeah....roll...str vs fort right?
DM:yeah
PC(Thokk):cool i got 18
DM:that enough to beat it's fort

DM:Thokk runs headlong towards the gelatinous cube and slams into the ooze his momentum forcing the cube backwards away from the rest of the party, unfortunatly Thokk now finds himself inside the cube looking at his blurred friends who are outside the translucent cube, you start to feel a burning sensation.

Remove ads