• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gem based spells, lets see what you can make

Corbert

Explorer
I'll start with two spells I came up with a few years ago. One of my PC's used them to create a unique altar to use in creating magic items specific to her god. I know that the Forgotten Realms setting has some gem based magic, but I don't have any of the books.

Gemsoft
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
School: Alteration
Range: touch
Component: V, S, M.
Duration: 1 round per level
Casting Time: 1 action
Area of effect: 1 gem per caster level
Saving Throw: None, see text
Spell resistance: No

Spell description

Casting this spell causes all gems touched (gems & jewels only, not shells, pearls, or starmetal) to become as soft and pliable as a piece of clay.
This allows the gem to be reshaped into nearly any form the caster desires, however unless the person reshaping the gem has the skill Artistic Ability: Sculpting, then anything formed will be primitive at best.
Gems reshaped by a sculptor can increase in value by as much as 200-500% (1D4+1 X 100%). If cast on a gem that is enchanted (such as an Ioun stone), the gem must make a Fort save DC 14. If the save fails, there is still a 1% chance per caster level to preserve the magic in the gem; otherwise the enchantment is lost.
The material components are a piece of soft clay, and 1 GP worth of gem dust per gem of the same type of gem(s), which is mixed into the clay.

Liquigem
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
School: Transmutation.
Range: touch
Component: V, S, M.
Duration: 1 round per level
Casting Time:1 action
Area of effect 1 gem per caster level
Saving Throw none, see text
Spell resistance: no

Casting this spell causes all gems touched (gems & jewels only, not shells, pearls, or starmetal) to turn into a liquid form. Unless they are in a container of some sort they will flow to the nearest low spot & pool there. In liquid form, a gem or gems can be poured into a mold of any shape; it can also be mixed with gems of the same or different type. Extremely ornate shapes can increase the gems value by as much as 1000% (1D10 X 100%, reroll all 1's, DM's discretion).
Gems of differing type that are mixed together have a 30% chance of become lower in value then the lowest value gem simply because the resulting mix might be ugly to look at (think ruby mixed with alestone, which is brownish in color, or any two colors that look like mud when mixed).
In this case, roll 1D4 X 10% and subtract that from the value of the lowest value gem of the mix, and that is the value of the resulting gem.
If cast on a gem that is enchanted (such as an Ioun stone), the gem must make a Fort save DC 15. If the save fails, there is still a 1% chance per caster level to preserve the magic in the gem; otherwise the enchantment is lost.
The material components are a cup of water with 10 GP worth of gem dust per gem of the same type of gem(s), which is mixed into the water.

Boss

First Post
I'llh ave to dig through my old files on my PC and see if I can find the rules I used in my 2nd Edition campaign. All arcane magic was cast with the use of gemstones instead of spell componenets, with specific gem types working with specific schools of magic. The more valuable the gem, the better the effect, though it drained the gems value. The players and I both developed a number of spells to aid in the effects.

Sravoff

First Post
Boss said:
I'llh ave to dig through my old files on my PC and see if I can find the rules I used in my 2nd Edition campaign. All arcane magic was cast with the use of gemstones instead of spell componenets, with specific gem types working with specific schools of magic. The more valuable the gem, the better the effect, though it drained the gems value. The players and I both developed a number of spells to aid in the effects.

I would be very interested to see.

Thanks

-Sravoff

ElectricDragon

Explorer
Personally, I would leave out the increase in value part of both spells. Otherwise one only has to have a few ranks in Sculpting (this is now Craft not Artistic Ability) and make a few ornate molds.
1. Transform all your gems into putty or liquid.
2. Sell higher quality gems.
3. Buy more gems.
4. Rinse.
5. Repeat.

Voila, no reason to ever adventure again.

Really, though, these spells can make more wealth than a Wish spell.

Ciao
Dave

Boss

First Post
Sravoff said:
I would be very interested to see.

Thanks

-Sravoff

Here is the RTF file. Remember, this is for 2nd Edition, although I plan to convert it to 3.5 before too much longer.

Attachments

• Turinth Gem Magic.rtf
    174.9 KB · Views: 99

Vlos

First Post
The following is a spell I came up to allow non casters to easily contribue XP towards casting of spells that require XP and or creating magic items. For example, we often cast Gate in our campaign, or Greater Restoration. To help offset the XP costs the following spell can be used. Also for magic item creation. It allows a caster to create a magic item for a non-caster in the party with them supplying all the XP costs. It does get a bit pricy, but at the levels we are at, its well worth it.

Spell: Spirit Gem
Necromancy (Spirits)
Level: 8th
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Target: 1 Gem, 1 or more willing beings
Saving Throw: Will
Spell Resistance: Yes
Duration: Instantaneous
Description:
The spell takes part of a willing beings escense and soul and places it in the gem. The amount of escense placed in is determined at casting time and cannot be changed once in the gem. Any willing being can be part of the casting and must be touching the gem during the casting time. Any being who does not want to give their escense towards the gem automatically succeeds in their saving throw.

Once a gem is enchanted it can then be used to power other spells that require escense (experience). Any spell or process that requires a beings escence(experience) can use paid for by using this gem. The gem turns to chalky dust and is destroyed when the escense is used.

The value of the gem is 1000gp per 100 exp stored in the gem, thus a gem that holds 500 escense/experience costs a minimum of 5000gp.

Corbert

Explorer
OK, here's a new one, but I need some help.

Transmute corpse to gemstone

Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: One day
Range: Touch
Target: One corpse
Duration: instantaneous
Saving Throw: none
Spell Resistance: No

This spell transmutes a single corpse into a valuable gem. The value of the gem is 100 GP per character level the person held in life. The greatest value of the gem is released when possessed by a close family member (parent, sibling, first cousin, uncle or aunt) or direct descendant. Based on the class of the former person the gem provides a +1 to some attribute or ability as shown on the chart below.

Class Benefit Gem type
Bard +1 charisma
Barbarian +1 rage per day Ruby
Cleric +1 wisdom
Expert +1 to 3 different skills chosen by the DM
Fighter +1 strength
Paladin +1 equivalent cleric level for turning undead Diamond
Rogue +1 dexterity
Sorcerer +1 charisma
Wizard +1 intelligence

10% of the gems hold an additional property. The actual spirit of the person the gem was made from inhabits the gem and can communicate with the holder. This is a spirit, not a ghost, and is not subject to spells dealing with the undead.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads