• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gen Con Takes Stand For Inclusiveness

This rather breaks all my rules, in that I'm reporting on politics, and regional politics at that. That said, Gen Con, the hobby's largest American convention, intersects with this particular example, so it's hard to ignore; and this is an RPG news blog, after all. Plus, I agree with the sentiment, even if I'm doubtful about its actual effectiveness given the current contract. Gen Con has written to the local politician in its home city of Indianapolis, USA, threatening (kind of - they're contracted to stay there for five more years whether they like it or not) to consider moving elsewhere if a local law relating to businesses being able to refuse custom to same-sex couples is passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This rather breaks all my rules, in that I'm reporting on politics, and regional politics at that. That said, Gen Con, the hobby's largest American convention, intersects with this particular example, so it's hard to ignore; and this is an RPG news blog, after all. Plus, I agree with the sentiment, even if I'm doubtful about its actual effectiveness given the current contract. Gen Con has written to the local politician in its home city of Indianapolis, USA, threatening (kind of - they're contracted to stay there for five more years whether they like it or not) to consider moving elsewhere if a local law relating to businesses being able to refuse custom to same-sex couples is passed.

With multiple recent articles in just the last week (Monte Cook Games & Thunderplains, Green Ronin's Blue Rose), the subject of inclusiveness is not one that anybody can afford to ignore. However, the vitriolic comments these topics give rise to make discussion on them difficult at best.

Here's the letter they wrote.

gencon_letter.jpg

mrm1138

Explorer
I find being forced to accept gender as something that is selectable is offensive. Then again, I find being forced to do just about anything is offensive and plant my heels at the mere notion of being forced to do anything.

So is your solution to force transgender people to identify as the sex as which they were biologically born? I find that incredibly offensive, and it's been shown to be far more psychologically damaging to those individuals to have to do so than it is for you to tolerate their gender identification.

Most of the discussion I see tends to involve stores. You go into a store and get asked to leave. That's not the only businesses people frequent.
Imagine if a plumber comes to your house, sees something they don't like, and leaves. Or the cable guy. Or the electrician. That's a HUGE hassle. You waited for them, likely all day. If you called a plumber, something is wrong at your house, and them leaving seriously inconveniences you. And they're in your house, so it's easy for them to see stuff they disapprove of.

As for GenCon, I'm not sure I like the idea of supporting that state's businesses. Whenever I travel to America, I'm always away of the difference of that culture, and the very different values and priorities. Your country makes me nervous as ****. There are certain States I really don't feel comfortable visiting.
GenCon 2015 wasn't on the table for me, and 2016 might have been a stretch. But I was thinking of 2017. GenCon's 50th. That'd be cool. But I might not now. I have reservations.

bmfrosty

Explorer
I don't know how to say this well, but here goes.

When I was younger, I often felt uncomfortable around LGBTQ people. Being an atheist, I had (and still have) no ready crutch to fall upon, so I thought about it. Eventually I realized that it was my cognitive dissonance. I had been brought up with binary expectations, and there was no good logic that said that those expectations were correct.

As I've become older, I've found that sometimes I still become uncomfortable around certain types of people, but the knowledge that it is in most cases my own cognitive dissonance at play helps me deal with that discomfort in a good way.

I feel bad for those who can't get past their own cognitive dissonance to the point where it becomes cognitive bias and then leads to bigotry. I feel worse for those who have no choice but to put up with it.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
What's the expression again? All bark, no bite?

Don't let that get to you. Just keep up the fight. You guys are winning one state at a time.

I'm disappointed but not surprised. I also can't say I can blame them from a purely economic feasibility standpoint.

I'll be interested to see what happens by 2020. My hope is that either 1. Gen Con will move to a more welcoming state or 2. this ridiculous law will get repealed or shot down in court in the meantime.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Nothing about gender is selectable or a choice... it's literally who we are and it's just something about all of us that we can't change. This is very strong within us who are transgender people. If we could choose do you honestly think any of us would choose to go through all the hell and discrimination and struggle to change our bodies just because we feel it's some kind of whim to do so or it's the thing to do? That's something a lot of people who are cis gender never think about... and those who think we just make this choice because we want to is really showing a bit of ignorance on how gender and the inner workings of what makes up our identity really affects us as the human beings we are.

As for this stupid bill that just passed... the reason why it's not right isn't some moral high ground or anything like that... it goes against the constitution's purpose and one of the fundamental cores of what this country was built on... the separation of church and state. Churches and religion have always had the freedom to be their own religion, and people can follow whatever dogma they wish to do... but religion was never supposed to have any real leeway or say about our politics or government, which was always meant to be a separate entity from religion. The last few years have seen this tarnished and done away with with states like Indiana signing these laws into bills, allowing businesses, which are NOT CHURCHES, the ability to claim religious beliefs and use them as a means of discrimination... and yes these laws are flat out allowing businesses to discriminate against whomever they wish to discriminate against.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But here is where the rubber meets the road. You said "Business owners should be made to do the right thing as decided by society". On one hand, yes. On the other hand, that is simply not the case here. "Society" at least in America, has not unanimously decided which pov is the right thing to do. There are two major opposing sides. The only true (legal) way to make businesses do the 'right thing' is either through laws or through consumer pressure. Right now the law, and the American Constitution, says that it is not right to prohibit the free exercise of religion (despite what 'society' says is right at this point).

...except when legal cases and legislation have stated unequivocally otherwise. Peyote is a controlled substance. It is also part of religious traditions if certain Native American cultures. You might be able to use it if you are a member of that faith living on Native lands but not otherwise, and definitely not if incarcerated.

Ditto the sacred herb of Rastafarianism- try exercising that religious freedom outside of Colorado or Washington, and you're in for a surprise.

If your faith involves human sacrifice, you're S.O.L. In the USA. And the sacrifice of animals has to be in accord with local ordinances on animal slaughter. If it isn't permitted at all within city limits, you can't do it.

Polygamy? Despite what the FLDS, certain forms of Islam, and others believe, they cannot practice it within the USA.

We have decided as a society that, in general, discrimination based on immutable characteristics of a class is impermissible. Gays are just slowly working to add themselves to that list.

But as it is now, for those who think that 'business owners should be made to do the right thing' need to realize that religious liberty has been 'decided by society'. The real fight is at the Constitutional level. The only real way to battle this is to 1) get enough of 'society' to amend the constitution to repeal the free exercise to what 'society' thinks it should be or 2) just ignore the Constitution and seek to render it useless...therefore a revolution.

That is a fundamental misunderstanding of the way our system of laws works. Judges are perfectly capable of declaring a law unconstitutional- that is part of their job under the Constitution. It is their major power in the system of checks & balances.

Also as part of checks & balances, the executive branch can choose the level of enforcement it will muster. For example, that discretion is a major reason why not every discovery of drugs in a car- including alcohol in the back of a teenager's Trans-Am- results in prosecution. That discretion is why District Attorneys can do plea bargains.

Heck- a subsequently elected legislative body could strike the law from the code.

Last edited by a moderator:

joycem137

First Post
since I stood for this Bill in this very thread and so did others.. Are you calling us bigoted? That's an owfull word to throw around in a complex situation that we all want to be fair...

"Complex situation" my ass. You know what I want to do? I wanna go visit my friends in Indiana without having to worry about getting thrown out of a restaurant for holding my wife's hand. That's not complex.

Any complexity you add to it is you trying to rationalize your bigotry. This is "business rights" as much as it was "state's rights" to uphold the right to hold slaves. Or the right to segregate blacks from whites. Or to deny jews, irish, etc. access to businesses.

Bigots like you make me depressed in the quality of people visiting this site. But from the outpouring of support elsewhere, I'm pleased that the hobby at large is leaving neandrathals like you behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads