GenCon 2009 Event Submission

Jeff Wilder

First Post
@ Jeff

I was in at event-reg. opening and signed up for the Thursday night sailing; by the time I got to pre-checkout it was already showing 0 tickets left, but I'm in! :) (meaning that event sold out in less than 4 minutes...good job!)
Wow. I'm quite surprised. Thanks for letting me know, and I really look forward to meeting you in August.

BTW, the PCs are: Goliath barbarian 6, aasimar sorcerer 6, elf rogue 7, dwarf fighter 7, human ranger 7, human cleric 7. All the PCs are deliberately designed and described vaguely enough to be of either gender.

Again, thanks for letting me know about my event. I suppose I would have eventually checked for myself, but now I don't have to.

Heya, Mark? Which session (if any) would you wanna play in?

I did pretty well, getting in everything I went for, including two M&M games, a Shadowrun game, a Buffy game, a couple of introductory BattleTech games, and the Paizo Pathfinder Q&A. Looks like a busy, busy GenCon, but I love how my schedule worked out, in terms of gaps for exhibit hall browsing and (I'm very old) maybe even the occasional nap.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
BTW, the PCs are: Goliath barbarian 6, aasimar sorcerer 6, elf rogue 7, dwarf fighter 7, human ranger 7, human cleric 7. All the PCs are deliberately designed and described vaguely enough to be of either gender.
Which reminds me: Jeff, Mark - you guys want pre-gens for my game, or roll-yer-own?

Lanefan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I did pretty well, getting in everything I went for, including two M&M games, a Shadowrun game, a Buffy game, a couple of introductory BattleTech games, and the Paizo Pathfinder Q&A. Looks like a busy, busy GenCon, but I love how my schedule worked out, in terms of gaps for exhibit hall browsing and (I'm very old) maybe even the occasional nap.
I was only really trying to get into 5 events, and got 'em all. (though one event is a tournament, so I have to leave some open time for the unlikely event that I actually manage to advance to a second or even third round...)

At some point, I intend to try and drop in on a 4e game while there; see how it really plays instead of just reading the books. Otherwise, I can easily fill a weekend with the dealers' hall, auction store, open gaming, and if all else fails there's always the 24-7 Magic tournaments. :)

Lan-"what is this thing you call sleep?"-efan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm just fine with pre-gens, personally, but if it'll save you some work, I'm happy to create my own.
I'm not worried about the work; I'm more concerned with not wanting to spend too much time on it on site.

I'll crack off some pre-gens; if you want to roll yer own that's fine too, and the pre-gen's can be used as spares if-when someone dies.

@ Mark: can do on the cheat sheet - maybe I can make up some pre-gen. equipment kits for real basic obvious stuff (clothes, rations, class-related gear) and have a list handy for other gype if you want to stock up.

Wednesday evening, right? Did you decide on a time?
It sounds like that might depend on Mark-and-friend's schedule for arriving at Indy. Starting somewhen around 5 or 6 would work, but any time Wed. is fine for me as I'll be getting there Tuesday night (assuming nothing drastic happens).

As for place: from what I can tell there'll be some sort of open gaming area set up on the Wed. night; failing that, there's always hotel rooms. What we may want to do is just set up a place to meet, and once we're all together head off in search of a table. :)

Lanefan

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I'm not worried about the work; I'm more concerned with not wanting to spend too much time on it on site.

I'll crack off some pre-gens; if you want to roll yer own that's fine too, and the pre-gen's can be used as spares if-when someone dies.

@ Mark: can do on the cheat sheet - maybe I can make up some pre-gen. equipment kits for real basic obvious stuff (clothes, rations, class-related gear) and have a list handy for other gype if you want to stock up.

It sounds like that might depend on Mark-and-friend's schedule for arriving at Indy. Starting somewhen around 5 or 6 would work, but any time Wed. is fine for me as I'll be getting there Tuesday night (assuming nothing drastic happens).

That all sounds great.

As for place: from what I can tell there'll be some sort of open gaming area set up on the Wed. night; failing that, there's always hotel rooms. What we may want to do is just set up a place to meet, and once we're all together head off in search of a table. :)

Where will you be staying in Indy this year? If it is one of the larger hotels where they have a lobby with seating, those can be a good place to game and would have access to their restaurant for burgers and/or beverages.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Where will you be staying in Indy this year? If it is one of the larger hotels where they have a lobby with seating, those can be a good place to game and would have access to their restaurant for burgers and/or beverages.
I'm at the Columbia Club, which I know very little about other than a) it's right downtown (on Monument Circle, about 1/2-mile from the ICC), and b) it's way expensive (but as my only other option was 8+ miles out of town and a daily commute... ::shrug:: ...what the hell...it's only money...). :)

I'm not entirely sure - and probably won't be until I've stayed there a night or two - whether that hotel supports gamers at all other than to offer up some rooms into the housing block.

I'll poke around on the GenCon forums and see if there'll be any sort of designated open gaming area for Wed. night; and get back to you.

Lanefan

NascragMan

First Post
As it is my first year, do you suggest going RPGA or not? I'm more of an actor/roleplayer than a min/maxer, so are there DnD 4th games that cater more to that, or do they just run you through modules?

If you're an actor/Roleplayer, you'll love Nascrag. We've been running roleplaying based adventures for 30 years now!

However, we are running a D+D 3.5 edition adventure this year - not 4.0. But we aren't so much about the rules anyway. Role-playing over roll-playing! :)

Check out www.nascrag.org for details

Remove ads