GenCon 2022 Draws Over 50,000 Attendees

Gen Con reports that it attracted over 50,000 attendees this year. While that's not quite back to pre-pandemic figures (2018 saw over 60,000 attendees, and 2019 had 'nearly 70K'), it's a big step back towards it.

By comparison, UK Games Expo had just over 23K attendees, while Origins Game Fair reported just under 12K this year.

attracting a unique attendance of over 50,000 gaming fans to the Indiana Convention Center (ICC) and Lucas Oil Stadium

Not just attendees had a large turnout.

The convention’s exhibit hall featured more than 530 game publishers and vendors. Publishers released more than 500 new game titles during the convention. More than 15,000 ticketed events were held over the four days, ranging from board games, card games, roleplaying games, comedy, music, seminars, the Costume Contest, Film Festival, and more.

“This year’s Gen Con was even better for us than 2019,” said Stephanie Shossow, Event Manager for The Op. “Gamers came ready to bring fun to the table!”

6E7AFB80-9C12-4FC9-A753-633BBA079437.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think I'll be committing to another event on this scale.

I am still not committing to an event of any decent size, especially if it is something that gets people to really work their lungs. Whether it is loud talking or shouting or singing or laughing, in addition to normal coughing and sneezing, if something is having someone more forcefully expel air from their lungs, and they have Covid, they are much more likely to be a spreader. This is also why you don't want to sit directly in the air flow in a restaurant, as there are so many documented cases of people catching Covid because people several tables away, way more than the 6 feet rule, have Covid and it gets into the air circulation and the AC brings it right to your table, washing over your group for a period of time, and suddenly everyone is sick because we can't wear masks and eat at the same time.

leafaiden

Villager
GameholeCon is a nice little con with a lot to offer! Lots of D&D, cool guests, a decent if modest dealer hall and FREE PARKING, so you can stay anywhere in town or out and drive in without any issues whatsoever. I'd love to go back more, but its timing conflicts with a work thing, so it's a rare joy when I get to go.

Looks like UW-Madison homecoming football game may complicate things the the Con this year. Per their Facebook post:

A quick note on our hotel block.

The UW Wisconsin Athletic Department surprised us by moving the homecoming football game to our show's weekend. What this means is that there will be a lot more demand for hotel rooms that weekend.

Our blocks are all set, but due to this reality, we will not be able to add more rooms to these blocks. The hotels would rather hold on to their existing inventory and get higher rates from Badger fans.

So, if you are thinking about attending, we advise that you grab a room now. Rooms can always be cancelled. As we get into the summer and football fans start making their fall plans, rooms in Madison are going to become scarce.

Anthro78

Explorer
So, if you are thinking about attending, we advise that you grab a room now. Rooms can always be cancelled. As we get into the summer and football fans start making their fall plans, rooms in Madison are going to become scarce.
This is where the free parking and the general driveability of Madison comes in handy. You CAN certainly stay at a connected hotel, but you don't HAVE to. You can stay across town, or even out of town, drive 20 minutes and be at the con with no issue. It's the advantage of a smaller con.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
The numbers over the years

Attachments

• eventsAug0822.JPG
    eventsAug0822.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 84

darjr

I crit!
Last Gameholecon I didn’t get con crud. That was extremely nice especially given I’d taken the time off just to recover. Took those days back and used em for something better!

Masked, washed hands, but also crucially didn’t attend any events where I’d have to take my mask off. Like dinners or drinks.

MGibster

Legend
I've been wanting to go since I was a teen. I'm now in my 50's and getting lazier by the day but I still keep hoping I'll get off my butt.
I'm in the same boat. For the cost I'd have to spend going to GenCon, I could put that towards a trip to Scotland or something. Even if I went to GenCon, I'm not sure I'd be able to even participate in all the events I'd like to.

I'm in the same boat. For the cost I'd have to spend going to GenCon, I could put that towards a trip to Scotland or something. Even if I went to GenCon, I'm not sure I'd be able to even participate in all the events I'd like to.
I used to go when it was still in Milwaukee, but it was around the corner of Lake Michigan from me (they later built a car ferry between my hometown and Mke which would've made it even easier....) It was nice to go to because, not only were big games getting dropped primarily at that con, but the sheer amount of cool random games from small publishers was amazing. Live Action Chess will always be a favorite of mine.
The sheer amount of stuff I got for being a volunteer for Five Rings Publishing was insane - a veritable loot box of games, posters, knick knacks. Ahh, the good old days

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases