• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GenCon, sleep, hard-core gaming and drowsy driving

Christian

Explorer
Coincidentally, I got to empirically test some of this yesterday. My wife forgot to wake me up from what was supposed to be a half-hour nap, and I ended up sleeping just over an hour. So, just for giggles, I went on a long drive!

No, just kidding. I played some pinball on my computer. And you know what? My reaction times really were a lot slower. So, I guess PC knows what he's talking about. (Not that I ever doubted him. :D )

WizarDru

Adventurer
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
PC, I wonder what you have heard on recent statistics that people who get over 7 hours of sleep a night, on average, have decreased life expectancies?

Pssst! He went to Gencon, so he may be a while in answering. :)

I read that article in the WSJ, too. A little too flufly for my tastes, though. Whenever I hear a study quoted in the media anywhere (and let me state I tend to think the WSJ is pretty good in this regard), I usually want more details. As often as not, the study is a little too limited to make the generalized claims that the media would like, since "Sleep will kill you!" sounds much better than "in a select study over three years, we discovered that the sleep patterns of some individuals may have had some corrolation with their life expectancy, but we'll need five other groups to produce similar studies to really be sure." :)

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
What a fun thread... *BUMP*

For the last five years, I've been working a 5-week 'rotating shift' (you know what I'm talking about, PK). For those that are curious... My work schedule for 2003.

I am a native inhabitant of the land of Circadia, and no stranger to sleep deprivation.

Listen to what Piratecat says. I can tell you from personal experience, its all the truth.

Fenes 2

First Post
I usually sleep 6 hours a night during the week, and catch up during the weekend. I also usually take a 1 to 2 hour nap in the afternoon before saturday game night. I never got sleepy while gaming, even when we gamed until the morning, or when discussing/chatting afterwards, and I think it is due to the amount of concentration I put into those things (I get sleepy during meetings sometimes, or during lessons, so I know how it feels like). I made the experience, however, that I am more prone to blunders and mistakes when I have gamed for hours.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I know just how much fun your having right now, but if you ever drop by this thread I've got a short question for you, PC.

Can the internal clock be a bit off from the number of hours in a day?

My schedule is always moving 10 or more minutes forwards every one or two days. In other words, if I wake up (without any alarm or such) at 8AM, the next day I'll probably wake up at 8:10 or 8:15. Eventually it resets by a nap or going to bed early. It's just my usual monthly schedule.

Gellion

First Post
I have found that when i get a good days sleep, i move slightly faster than i normally would. For instance, when i am walking i move faster than usual even though i am not making any effort to move faster.

Datt

First Post
Piratecat said:
*ding ding ding* Welcome to the world of sleep apnea. You will be a much, MUCH happier person if you pop around to a sleep lab nearby and get tested.

I have a question for you PC. I am overweight and I snore at night. I have in the past taken medicine to help me sleep as it can take me an hour or more sometimes to fall asleep even after going to bed. But my question is, I noticed you said that people with sleep apnea normally need more sleep. I need less sleep. I ususally get around 6 hours of sleep or so a night and feel rested when I get up in the morning. Could I still have slepp apnea?

Just want to ressurrect a very helpful thread from last year's pre-GenCon madness. PC was helpful enough to post about getting enough sleep while at the con, and I think it's a worthy enough topic that this years GenCon attendees should take a look at it.

Remove ads