General Discussion

elecgraystone

First Post
I suggested Fast Learner because you can put your 4th level stat boost into int, so you could qualify for feat. I understand it'd be a tough pick wih an odd dex AND cha, but fast learner is pretty awesome.

For you, invisibility does look pretty good. As long as you don't cast jolt or sleep you should be fine.

With the wand, remember that you need to use your Use Magic device skill to use it and get a 20 on it. Think about putting a few extra points into the skill and don't be afraid to take a few rounds out early to activate the wand before combat happens. It lasts for 3 hours so you have a lot of wiggle room on when you get into combat.

Commander_Fallout

First Post
I'm thinking of making a wayang oracle, and I was browsing the wiki. On Sumbru's page, it mentions a goddess named "The Lady of Sorrows," who is worshiped by a group of oracles, but further investigation revealed nothing. Who is she, and has she been fleshed out in any way?

GlassEye

Adventurer
That deity hasn't really been fleshed out (like several E'n deities) beyond the fact that she was formerly Sumbru's patron deity and that reference to working through oracles (the implication being that she doesn't have much of a clergy). She's open to anyone to make a more detailed proposal about who she really is.

elecgraystone

First Post
I've been mulling over a few different characters and I came up with something I thought I should ask about. I was looking over the merfolk and I was wondering something. Can they ride a mount? If so, what kind of mount would it be and would they need a special saddle? I can see them sitting side saddle, but I'd to make sure how it works in living pathfinder.

elecgraystone

First Post
Yeah, I kind of figured on the exotic saddle but wanted to make sure since it's described as a saddle for an exotic animal but in this case it's for an exotic rider. If you just look at weight, a light horse could carry a merfolk, but I just can't picture that it'd leave enough 'tail room'. Are there camels anywhere around the living pathfinder world? If not, it may have to be a bigger horse or some kind of rickshaw/cart set-up.

PS: the reason for asking about the camel is the oracle mystery (nature), bonded mount (horse or camel). I assume horse means light horse, so camel is what's left if I take that revelation.

Satin Knights

First Post
The three merfolk that have been in play so far haven't tried to ride a horse.
a) We can rule out a light horse, as it can carry 199 lbs before it slows down to 35' due to encumbrance. A merfolk generally weighs 200 lbs. Add 30 lbs for the exotic saddle, and then more for the character's gear.
b) A heavy horse can do it. I would prefer it be trained instead of just a riding horse. Being a strange looking creature to the horse, a simple riding horse would be skittish.
c) So, a combat trained heavy horse + exotic riding saddle would run 330 gp.

A camel. A mermaid riding a camel. Gotta be in a desert. I can see the people holding their hands over they eyes, "I disbelieve! I disbelieve!" :heh: A camel would have a 300 lb light encumbrance limit before slowing down. So, it is doable as long as the character is not carrying 70 lbs of gear.

But, the drawback is that you cannot get a mount into most dungeons. So, the merfolk needs a way to increase their movement rate. The base 5' land speed is just not viable. You are a sitting duck. The APG racial trait to increase speed has been nixed by judge vote, as it took away nothing from an otherwise powerful race.

The barbarian merman as barbarian speed + the fleet feat so he is moving at a 20' and can keep up with the dwarves and gnomes. My synthesist has her other form, travel domain, and extended longstrider. So, while she is having her worst day and is out of spells, she still moves at a 15' rate. On her normal days, well, she flies at 40' or occasionally walks at 40' base rate. She has got up to 70' for a base when hasted in combat.

Commander_Fallout

First Post
Can't mounts squeeze into smaller places? Seems to me that you could at least bring your mount with you, even if you couldn't ride it. I mean, we've all been in dungeons where we've faced Large or larger monsters anyway, so it wouldn't be too farfetched. :p

Satin Knights

First Post
You could... :devil: Squeezed means a friendly couldn't move past the mount. So, you cork your exit and cannot retreat. That is truly dangerous situation. And I have found very few horses that could climb ladders. Lifting one via a rope is a pain too. This is one of the issues why I like summoners. Oh, don't fit, dismiss the critter and resummon him on the next level.

elecgraystone

First Post
LOL I can see that. "Who brought the butter!" Hahahaha

Light horse: The starting weight for a female merfolk is 135, so she could slide under the light horse weight if she didn't carry much. I was more worried about tail dragging [though only being able to carry 35 lbs gear total is an issue too]. (8' long fish on a small horse...)

Dungeons: Yeah, I was only thinking travel to and forth. For normal movement I was thinking of Travel domain, Mysteries (fire and metal) and the fleet feat that adds 5' movement [not all at once ;P]. Barbarian/monk take more than 1 level of dip to get the movement and that's a lot for a primary caster. The mount only really came up when I saw the nature mystery and started thinking about what they COULD ride.

Disbelieve: No, to really throw people off you have to take your camel riding merfolk to the cold region and wave at people there. You need snow for the right touch of absurdity!

Last edited:

Remove ads