D&D 4E General rules of 4e design.

I have seen a lot of homebrew classes, feats, powers, etc.... Much of it is good, much of it is not. I think something that would be helpful to many homebrewers is to have the math all laid out for them. There are a ton of people who know the math. Many of the optimizers can site all the numbers by heart. It is time that we consolidate all that knowledge so that we can cut a lot of headache out of the homebrew process.

I am not saying that I know all this stuff. I am not even saying that I know how to organize the stuff after I am told it. I just think that it is time to get together and help each other out a little. WotC should have added this info to the DMG, but they didn't. Their little section on homebrewing is lousy.

So here is my contribution, which probably needs some editing and refinement.

All classes need to have access to either heavy armor, or light armor + and ability mod to match it (usually Dex or Int), or be given a flat +2-3 armor bonus when not wearing armor plus an ability mod to match it (Likely Dex or Int). Never allow a class to add two ability mods to armor, as it will get out of hand.

Comments? Additions? Criticisms? Flame wars ;)?

Siberys

Adventurer
Some may disagree with this one, but I try and follow whenever possible;

Do not build a magic-item progression into a class if you don't want them to use physical implements - if you do, the character will have a relatively greater amount of cash. Implements need not be tangible, physical items. Use a non-tangible item or a series of feats instead, as those have a cost associated with them.

I am in complete agreement. (On just about all these points.) The math is the key in 4E, and I'm surprised more people haven't commented in this thread. Maybe you need to re-title it?

"General Rules of 4E Design" is NOT the same as, perhaps, "The Math Behind 4E" or something like that.

I've been trying to get to the bottom of it all. One question: Has anyone yet compiled all of the powers in the PHB (and MP) in a spreadsheet or database that allows viewing lots of powers side-by-side? Something like, show me all of the Xth level attack powers across all classes. I think that one way to reverse engineer it would be to be able to look at them altogether.

I have not heard of this kind of thing, but that would be a fantastic resource. I have no time to put into such an endeavor, otherwise I would. I am positive that there are some power databases around here someplace that could be modified, but I don't have one.

Remove ads