• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Generation: rolling vs. point buy

how do you generate characters?

• Roll their stats

Votes: 110 37.9%
  • Point buy

Votes: 151 52.1%
  • Other

Votes: 29 10.0%

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
OH, that's a loaded statement if I ever saw one...and also why I prefer point buy.

Loaded? How so?

1) In die rolling, each player has equal opportunity to land in the same region of the bell curve (assuming its a uniform die-rolling system- see below).

2) In point buy, everyone has exactly the same resources to build his character, but an experienced player can almost always out-allocate his resources than a less experienced player.

Each is statistically fair.

But the meaning of my comment is this: I don't care what method is used as long as all of the players (and optimally, the NPCs) are using the same method of stat gen.

I've been in campaigns where the GM said that any legal stat-gen method was permissible. That got messy when some people realized they were using methods that yielded differing amounts- it almost derailed the campaign.

I'm also not a fan of systems like the one that first appeared in the original Unearthed Arcana, in which you chose your class first, which then determined how many die you rolled for each stat. The classes were definitely not balanced on that level.

GodOfCheese

First Post
I roll, though I'm reconsidering that position. I run a ten-PC party, and with that many characters the guy with the bad rolls is tending to get squashed.

Cameron

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
I've been in campaigns where the GM said that any legal stat-gen method was permissible. That got messy when some people realized they were using methods that yielded differing amounts- it almost derailed the campaign.
This only occurs when envy and jealousy rear their ugly heads. My suggestion in this case is to drop the whiny players ;)

RigaMortus2

First Post
We do a combination of the both. We like high stats, so we go with 33+1d6 point buy. This lets the player distribute the stats as they see fit, and also includes a bit of randomness in there. Not all players will be guaranteed to have the same scores because there is that slight random variation.

For our current game, I tried something different. I went with the ability generation rules found in Iron Heroes.

Ability Scores Generation
  • Each Ability Score (Str, Dex, Con, etc.) start at a base of 10
  • You have 24 additional points you can use to distribute to your Ability Scores (up to a max of 18 in any one particular score).
  • In addition, you can pick one of your scores as a weakness. In such a case, you drop that score to 8 and cannot spend points to improve it at this time. In return, you gain 2 bonus points to spend on your abilities.
  • Each point you spend increases a single ability by 1 point until that score reaches 15
  • For each point above 15, it costs 2 points to improve an ability
  • For each point above 17, it costs 4 points to improve an ability by 1

If that is confusing to anyone, you can use these as Quick Stats:
  • Standard Ability Scores: 16, 16, 14, 14, 12, 10
  • Focused Character Scores: 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8
  • Jack of All Trades: 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14
    Pick any one of those arrays and arrange the scores any way you like.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
"Pick your base stats. You can choose any number between 3 and 18, as normal. Then, subtract 32 from the point value of your stats. This is your Hubris score; write it down on your sheet somewhere. Then, apply racial modifiers as normal."

:D

I'm intrigued, can you explain in more detail? What is this Hubris score all about?

PS - Unless that was just a joke that went over my head...

PSS - The more I think about it, the more I feel like I should not be htting the Submit Reply button.

Rystil Arden

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
I'm intrigued, can you explain in more detail? What is this Hubris score all about?

PS - Unless that was just a joke that went over my head...

PSS - The more I think about it, the more I feel like I should not be htting the Submit Reply button.
No, he's quite serious. The idea is that high Hubris comes back to haunt you, and low Hubris brings good things to you.

Deus Ex Machina

First Post
For online games, I would definitely use point allocation. It keeps things fair and easy to manage. For TT, most of the groups I’m in or have gamed with prefer rolling. The two methods I’ve been using lately are:

All stats generated with 10+1d8, ensuring no negative modifiers.

OR

Roll 4d6 seven times, dropping the lowest each time and also dropping the lowest set. Make two characters this way and choose the most appropriate. This keeps the random element, but also keeps the group pretty even and reduces the chances of having either a complete god or a crippled character.

Rystil Arden said:
No, he's quite serious. The idea is that high Hubris comes back to haunt you, and low Hubris brings good things to you.
Yeah, in all honesty, it doesn't really have an in-game mechanical effect.

However, should I ever need to pick the PC who's randomly targeted by a curse, or whose equipment gets rifled by the sneakthieves at night, well ... I've got an indicator of who to pick. :D

Flynn

First Post
I use Point Buy, and here's why: Back in the early, early days of 3E, we started a campaign using the 4d6, drop the lowest, method of character generation. One of the guys was lucky and rolled the equivalent of a 53 Point Buy character, whereas most were in the 24-32 Point Buy range. For several months, I'd get an almost weekly email from the 24 Point Buy player that the 53 Point Buy player had an unfair advantage and dominated the game. The griping and moaning was grating on my nerves, but I did notice that others started making similar complaints, so I had to admit to myself that the point was valid. I finished the campaign as I started it, to maintain the conditions of the game throughout (I was also using it to vet out 3E from 1-20 level, and see how the game played out). As an aside, the complaining player left the game, but the disparity of player enjoyment because of the vast stat differences continued to the end of the campaign.

After that campaign, I started using 32 Point Buy and never looked back. The only complaint I ever had was from a power monger player that tried to talk me into 45, then 40, then 35 Point Buy, before realizing that I wasn't going above 32 as my baseline. He, too, played only a few months and then left.

Point Buy definitely made my job as the DM a lot easier, at least in the customer service department, and I no longer have to pay the price for someone else's poor stat rolls.

With Regards,
Flynn

Deus Ex Machina

First Post
Rolling stats and HP are definitely things that need to be approached with caution. Having players who are discontent with their characters, and therefore the game, because of a few unlucky rolls never does anyone any good.

Definitely a strong argument for point buys.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads