• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Generation: rolling vs. point buy

how do you generate characters?

• Roll their stats

Votes: 110 37.9%
  • Point buy

Votes: 151 52.1%
  • Other

Votes: 29 10.0%

Nonlethal Force said:
Holy thread necromancy Batman!

Yeah - I was, like, "Hey - how did I already post and vote in this thread?"

I still prefer point-buy.

My next campaign, however, uses some rules I picked up from ... uh ... someone here.

"Pick your base stats. You can choose any number between 3 and 18, as normal. Then, subtract 32 from the point value of your stats. This is your Hubris score; write it down on your sheet somewhere. Then, apply racial modifiers as normal."

:D

FireLance

Legend
I voted point buy because that's what my group usually uses, but I'm thinking of using another system the next time I DM:

1. Start with the standard array [15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8]*.
2. Arrange as desired.
3. Roll [4d6 drop 1]* in order, and use the rolled ability score if it is higher than the assigned one.

This way, each player is guaranteed to start out with a playable character with minimum ability scores where he wants them, but the characters feel more organic and unique, possibly with a high score in an ability which the player would not have assigned it to, and there is some (but hopefully not too much) variation between the PCs.

* These numbers can be tweaked if a higher or lower powered game (on average) is desired.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
That's a neat system, FL. It could really be used to make a neat monk (or any other class that suffers from MADD). For example, you could use the 15 and 14 in two of the stats that the monk needs. Use the 8 and 10 in that order in other stats that the monk needs. The 12 and 13 go into the remaining two stats. The odds of beating an 8 and 10 are pretty good - especially that 8. So you are guaranteed a 15, 14, and a likely improvement on the 8 and 10. And, you've sluffed with a 12 and 13. [And, if you roll poorly on the 8 or 10, dump the monk design and go with a new class and the numbers that you've rolled.

Potential for abuse, of course. But no system is perfect.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
That's a neat system, FL. It could really be used to make a neat monk (or any other class that suffers from MADD). For example, you could use the 15 and 14 in two of the stats that the monk needs. Use the 8 and 10 in that order in other stats that the monk needs. The 12 and 13 go into the remaining two stats. The odds of beating an 8 and 10 are pretty good - especially that 8. So you are guaranteed a 15, 14, and a likely improvement on the 8 and 10. And, you've sluffed with a 12 and 13. [And, if you roll poorly on the 8 or 10, dump the monk design and go with a new class and the numbers that you've rolled.

Potential for abuse, of course. But no system is perfect.
Yeah, it seems to me a very interesting system and perfect for classes with MAD. That said, for classes focused mainly on the casting stat, like Wizards, you could wind up in trouble. They don't tend to work too well with lower than a 16 in Int. So I guess you'd put the 15 and 14 in Con and Dex, the 8 in Int, and then if you don't roll high enough Int, you don't play a Wizard.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I voted "Other"

It depends upon what system I'm playing, obviously, and also what the GM in question prefers.

Sometimes, I even get to try out "innovative" ways of generating stats.

Personally, I have no preferences for stat-gen, as long as the playing field is level.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I've been playing D&D for a looooong time and rolling a set of stats is a defining part of that legacy for me. (For the record, 2 sets of 4d6droplowest, pick best set, random assignment).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The most recent system I used in a StarWars SAGA game was this:

All three players roll 4d6 drop lowest.

Any player can choose to take his set of six rolls, or copy somebody elses. If he copies someone else he has to assign the rolls to different stats.

I wanted to try this to (a) get the fun of rolling and (b) ensure that if anyone rolls exceptionally well, everyone wins out.

werk

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Personally, I have no preferences for stat-gen, as long as the playing field is level.

OH, that's a loaded statement if I ever saw one...and also why I prefer point buy.

Remove ads