George R.R. Martin novel news

Thanee

First Post
1) A Game of Thrones
2) A Clash of Kings
3) A Storm of Swords
4) A Feast for Crows + A Dance with Dragons

Highly recommended reading and immensely enthralling, but it is also some pretty mature material (pretty hefty violance and also some intimacies).

Anyways, A Song of Ice and Fire is one of the best fantasy novel series ever written for sure.
It starts out in a kinda historical fashion, yet slowly but steadily fantasy elements are introduced.

Bye
Thanee

TwistedBishop

First Post
The first book in the Song of Ice and Fire series is A Game of Thrones. It starts off sort of slowly (I was about to put it down about 30 pages in), but the series is fantastic if you keep going.

Edit: And I would have gotten away with posting first too, if it wasn't for that meddling Thanee!

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I'm re-reading the first three in preparation for Feast of Crows. Wow, it's a lot better the second time through. Maybe a really astute reader would have picked up what I'm now seeing, but I sure didn't.

The books are THICK. Not just in page count -- they are densely pack with sticky plot and character goodness.

-- N

JohnClark

First Post
Excellent news! I can't wait for this book to come out, after much prodding from my friends I picked up this series and after reading it I don't know why I waited so long.

Pants

First Post
Nifft said:
I'm re-reading the first three in preparation for Feast of Crows. Wow, it's a lot better the second time through. Maybe a really astute reader would have picked up what I'm now seeing, but I sure didn't.

The books are THICK. Not just in page count -- they are densely pack with sticky plot and character goodness.

-- N
Damn straight.
There were soooo many things I missed the first time through that seem so obvious after a second and third time.

[sblock]For example, many critics that I've talked to have said that Martin just randomly kills his characters off. The best example they use to support this claim is Robb. Unfortunately, Robb's death was foreshadowed since Clash of Kings and the first half of Storm of Swords is FULL of intimations that something bad is going to happen.

I missed that all on my first read, but I caught it on my second. Great stuff.[/sblock]

The_lurkeR

First Post
WOO-HOOO! :D

Perhaps the coolest news is that ADwD is half-finished already. So that should be out after Feast in record time :cool:

Thank you GRRM

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Good plotting, good characters, good story. I never really understood the sex scenes in the book. They didn't seem to move the plot all that often, and they're pretty gratuitous as well. Maybe they were necessary and I'm just forgetting stuff (read Swords at least 3 years ago), but they got really irritating. Unless I hear a lot of great things about this newest book, I won't be reading it. The useless sex scenes, I can easily skim or skip those. But the fact that he's dragging the series out for another 3 books just gets under my skin. Milking literature is never a good idea.

Remove ads