George R.R. Martin novel news

Berandor

lunatic
The series was always to be either six or seven books. He wanted to keep it to six, but said seven was a possibility. Even when he decided to insert a novel into that number, his aim was to keep to six books, not seven. So far, Martin is not milking it.

Captain Tagon

First Post
Berandor said:
So far, Martin is not milking it.

That could be debated. But I'm waiting until the story is finished before reading any more of it. Even if that means I never finish it. It is good writing but I don't enjoy reading it, somewhat like how Passion of the Christ amazed me as a film but I didn't enjoy it at all. Not really the same thing, but somewhat related.

Starman

Adventurer
Berandor said:
The series was always to be either six or seven books. He wanted to keep it to six, but said seven was a possibility. Even when he decided to insert a novel into that number, his aim was to keep to six books, not seven. So far, Martin is not milking it.

Actually, when he first envisioned the series it was a trilogy. He even outlined it as such. When he wrote the first draft of A Game of Thrones, he realized that he wasn't nearly as far along as he was supposed to be for his trilogy and then expanded it.

Starman

Aesmael

Explorer
Starman said:
Actually, when he first envisioned the series it was a trilogy. He even outlined it as such. When he wrote the first draft of A Game of Thrones, he realized that he wasn't nearly as far along as he was supposed to be for his trilogy and then expanded it.

Starman

True dat. Wheel of Time was meant to be a trilogy as well.

I won't be disappointed in the expansion of this series unless I feel that Martin's writing has decreased in quality. For now: hurray! Already have my money set aside for it (If I can find it - haven't looked in a year!). Mark my words, all the others will be finished in less time than this, it was an aberration.

And if I'm wrong, having marked them you can make me eat them. ;)

Krafus

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
Good plotting, good characters, good story. I never really understood the sex scenes in the book. They didn't seem to move the plot all that often, and they're pretty gratuitous as well. Maybe they were necessary and I'm just forgetting stuff (read Swords at least 3 years ago), but they got really irritating. Unless I hear a lot of great things about this newest book, I won't be reading it. The useless sex scenes, I can easily skim or skip those. But the fact that he's dragging the series out for another 3 books just gets under my skin. Milking literature is never a good idea.

If you think GRRM is milking his readers, you haven't read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series...

As for the sex scenes, I'm glad they're in it. Sex is a part of life, and I'm sick of fantasy authors who give us blood and gore by the bucketful but shy away from any mention of sex.

Captain Tagon

First Post
Krafus said:
If you think GRRM is milking his readers, you haven't read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series...

As for the sex scenes, I'm glad they're in it. Sex is a part of life, and I'm sick of fantasy authors who give us blood and gore by the bucketful but shy away from any mention of sex.

Except both are extremely lame when added solely for their own sake.

KenM

Banned
Banned
Captain Tagon said:
Except both are extremely lame when added solely for their own sake.

IMO they are not in aSoIaF for its own sake. It shows the characters needs, desires and sometimes there brutallity.

Captain Tagon

First Post
KenM said:
IMO they are not in aSoIaF for its own sake. It shows the characters needs, desires and sometimes there brutallity.

::shrug::

It's been a while since I've read any of the books. I was just making a general statement.

JoeBlank

Explorer
I think this is a fair compromise, and I'll probably like it better split up into two books. With the earlier books, a chapter would often end in a cliffhanger and it would be a wait of possibly hundreds of pages to get to the resolution. I don't mind some waiting, but it takes me quite a while to read a book of this length, one of the drawbacks of having 3 small children.

Anyone have a guess on how the characters will be divided in the two books? I can figure out a few, but I have not been keeping up with which characters get chapter-treatments and such.

Remove ads