German-themed game resources

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I have, its called the Western Empire in my homebrew. But I don't have ton of resources for you.

I would play up its "decentralized" nature: lots of little principalties, de-facto city states, isolated abbeys, and in between lots of forest, hills, mountains (in the south), and whatever threats you are comfortable with. Whether its bandints, or hordes of trolls and kobold armies. Actually, its kinda like the "points of light" setting that has been "invented" for 4th ed.

One thing on your era: it overlaps with the reformation and the following religious wars. Now this could be interesting. Either in a Christian church (Holy Church in my homebrew) or some neo-pagan fantasy one. Lot of directions you could go with this.

Back to details. I would recomend going with the "broadly germanic", so if it falls into say, Norse culture, its also fair game. So dwarves, gnomes, elves, giants, dragons, and many other monsters, would fit, and as I note above, a variety of terrain is available.

One thing you don't have is an obvious "Old Empire" for ruins to explore, except maybe in the south. Unless you make one up from ancient times (and with no historical counterpart). I use ancient dwarf and elf sites; giants, or those kobolds, could also be a good fit.

It is also a good setting for an urban campaign (lots of towns and cities), and things related to black magic fit pretty naturally.

For "culture" culture, don't be afraid of beer, sausage (wurst), christmass (solstice) trees, and all the rest. There is a reason for these cliches.

Some details from my webpage (which may be a little help, or not):

http://www.terra-viejo.net/World/Western Empire.htm

http://www.terra-viejo.net/SRD/Humans.htm#Western

http://www.terra-viejo.net/SRD/Weapons.htm#Regional (scroll down to Western Empire)

http://www.terra-viejo.net/SRD/Armor.htm#Regional (scroll down to Western Empire)

Darklone

Mustrum_Ridcully said:
But I know other (including myself) German players that dislike DSA. But I have heard the newest edition (4th) has become a lot better.
Biggest flaming wars on every German board since 20 years: DSA vs D&D.

It won't stop until one of the games has been annihilated :D

XCorvis

First Post
TerraDave said:
I have, its called the Western Empire in my homebrew. But I don't have ton of resources for you.

I would play up its "decentralized" nature: lots of little principalties, de-facto city states, isolated abbeys, and in between lots of forest, hills, mountains (in the south), and whatever threats you are comfortable with. Whether its bandints, or hordes of trolls and kobold armies. Actually, its kinda like the "points of light" setting that has been "invented" for 4th ed.

I'm actually planning it for 4th ed, and was noticing how "points of light" was going to fit rather well.

Thanks for the links, I see some good stuff there.

Jupp

Explorer
I'd try to put your campaign in a time where the big guilds and hanseatic leagues where still in their prime time. That would make for a very interesting political situation where the religious/royal rulers are on the one side and the economic powers are on the other. Lots of potentials for some good intrigue and scheeming in the background :) Mixing this with magic, deities and holy power adds even more spice. Medieval Hamburg, Bremen or Cologne with arcane and divine magic :) . That would give the Fuggers et al a whole new twist :]

"Now dear Jakob, do we "buy" that new King today or do you still want to summon that Tana'Ri again to "convince" the present ruler of our humble and modest requests?"

Easy:

"Sir, we have braved the dungeons and brought back the Magicalwhatsit."

"I'm as happy as a little girrrrrlllll..."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Take a look at the Codex of Erde, which is a campaign world with a Franco-German cultural twist. A lot of the town names are German, also, which I though was neat when I read through it.

Remove ads