• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gestalt Characters and Normal Characters in the same game...

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
I'm thinking of allowing gestalt characters as an option in my campaign. Originally I was thinking of applying a 40% XP penalty to any gestalt character, which would make it roughly equivalent to 1e and 2e Multiclassing, as far as balance is concerned.

However, I see one problem with this- certain class combinations are far more powerful than others. For instance, a Knight/Paladin or Rogue/Bard doesn't gain nearly the power of a Paladin/Sorcerer, Cleric/Wizard, or the like. Mainly I see the following- combining two characters of the same "type"- skilled, divine, arcane, or warrior- renders advantages, but not that great an advantage as combinding two of a different type.

So here's what I'm thinking-
2 from same category, or PC class + NPC class (ranger/adept, anyone? How about a fighter/expert?)- 20% penalty.
2 from different category- 40% penalty.

Sound like it would work, or should I just not touch this with a ten foot pole?

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Most favor the (3e-style) LA+2 for gestalt characters.

A word of warning, though: once PrCs come into play, 'same-type' or especially PC class/expert gestalting can be very effective. For instance, a Fighter/Paladin gestalt can qualify for and pursue PrCs much quicker than a straight Paladin, and in doing so can achieve some very powerful synergy.

And watch out for those Monk/Druids! :cool:

Philip

Explorer
Just remember that characters who lag behind in levels get more XP in 3.5. Actually, they quickly get roughly 28% more XP, so the XP penalty might be not as great a penalty as you think.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Philip said:
Just remember that characters who lag behind in levels get more XP in 3.5. Actually, they quickly get roughly 28% more XP, so the XP penalty might be not as great a penalty as you think.

You're right. LA is better, I think.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Well, I pretty much don't use EL races at all (we're low-level), and I still use the 3e style of awarding XP. Many combinations I would nix right out because they don't fit the setting- Monk/Anything (except perhaps a Dwarven Monk/Fighter), for instance...

Ferret

Explorer
What about combos that combine similiar 'weakness' Such as a Druid/bard, that could wear Studded Leather with no problems?

I suppose this is just me thinking from BG though.....

Remove ads