D&D 5E Get The Vecna Dossier Free At D&D Beyond

WotC is offering a free product which you can claim by signing into D&D Beyond, including Vecna’s 5E statistics. The dossier includes the stat block plus a half page or so of lore. Vecna's stat block is a CR 26 undead wizard, prior to the fallen paladin (and former bodyguard to the lich) Kas's betrayal. That means he still has his hand and eye, although he is a time traveller and can appear...

WotC is offering a free product which you can claim by signing into D&D Beyond, including Vecna’s 5E statistics.

The dossier includes the stat block plus a half page or so of lore. Vecna's stat block is a CR 26 undead wizard, prior to the fallen paladin (and former bodyguard to the lich) Kas's betrayal. That means he still has his hand and eye, although he is a time traveller and can appear in different worlds and eras.

87B34E29-DBB2-431B-8175-68D2BF94F8EF.jpeg

The archlich Vecna is one of the most iconic villains of Dungeons & Dragons lore. And now you can bear witness to his necromantic magic with the Vecna Dossier! Available at no cost with your D&D Beyond account, this thrilling supplement details the legacy and statistics of the Undying King himself!

This claim unlocks the contents of this promotional supplement for use with D&D Beyond, including the supplement in digital format in the game compendium and in the searchable listings, character builder, encounters, and digital sheet.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I would very much like this to be available as a PDF for the official D&D site, rather than exclusive to DNDBeyond. I mean, I get it. They just bought the thing, but still.
Print to pdf worked great for me, set it at 98% scale to fix a pagination issue, otherwise fine.

gnarlygninja

Explorer
What you're missing is, WotC's monster designs assume the players aren't using any sort of tactics. Intelligent fighting is a luxury feature, apparently.
Running up to use a cantrip doesn't seem like very intelligent fighting unless the player is familiar with Vecna's mechanics, and "looking at the statblock" isn't a tactic any group I've ever played in would want to encourage.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Say 13th level chars take on this stat block. Said char has a +10 to hit, BEFORE any magical weapon bonus. Let's give Mr Fighter a +2 Bow. (to bypass Fell Rebuke) That is a +12 before any other magical boosts, and there many potential boosts. That hits an AC 18 75% of the time (6 or better). In the first round, a player with any sense would Action Surge, for 6 attacks. Statistically, at least 4 are going to hit, maybe 5.

Any number of combinations at that level are doing 20 plus damage per attack. (I know a power-gamer can probably crank that up over 30). Note also Vecna's stat block only has a +3 to Initiative rolls. It is entirely possible that multiple chars would attack before Venca even gets a turn. 272 HP can evaporate in one turn if a Paladin gets lucky, like roll a 20 in that first turn, with Divine Smite.

This stat block only works with Lair Actions and/or minions. And CR 26's, needing those, against say 13th level chars, that speaks to lousy design, play-testing, and quality control. All things I have come to expect from WOTC.
He has defensive reactions, 80hp regen, and plenty of HP and AC. Few PCs are going to have +12 to hit, as most classes don’t have a +2 atk fighting style option, and many games don’t even see many +2 weapons, so your calculations are based on an edge case.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I get the feeling that official 5E monsters are designed for unoptimized parties. In my last campaign I often ended up using the maximum possible HP total (based on HD) for creatures and bumped up damage.
I go the other way, for shorter fights, and increase attack by 1 or 2, give nearly all enemies limited use extra damage abilities, etc.

He has defensive reactions, 80hp regen, and plenty of HP and AC. Few PCs are going to have +12 to hit, as most classes don’t have a +2 atk fighting style option, and many games don’t even see many +2 weapons, so your calculations are based on an edge case.
LOL...most games at high level don't have +2 weapons...sure. I don't even let my players have magical items to level 5, but I know they will have +2 items at level 13.

Xohar17

Explorer
I don't understand why your fixation, man. The adventure above shows you how you should use Vecna. If you insist on wanting to use your monsters in empty arenas in melee range with the enemies with initaitve starts, that's on you.
Then CR is completely useless, if you cant use it to acertain the level of power of a monster in a vaccum, and it is in fact needed to use traps, and minions and other out of the statblock things to make it work at the suposed level, then the cr is not in any way a useful metric of the level a monsters posed to a party. I think that is the discussion here.

Remove ads

Remove ads