D&D 5E Get The Vecna Dossier Free At D&D Beyond

WotC is offering a free product which you can claim by signing into D&D Beyond, including Vecna’s 5E statistics. The dossier includes the stat block plus a half page or so of lore. Vecna's stat block is a CR 26 undead wizard, prior to the fallen paladin (and former bodyguard to the lich) Kas's betrayal. That means he still has his hand and eye, although he is a time traveller and can appear...

WotC is offering a free product which you can claim by signing into D&D Beyond, including Vecna’s 5E statistics.

The dossier includes the stat block plus a half page or so of lore. Vecna's stat block is a CR 26 undead wizard, prior to the fallen paladin (and former bodyguard to the lich) Kas's betrayal. That means he still has his hand and eye, although he is a time traveller and can appear in different worlds and eras.

87B34E29-DBB2-431B-8175-68D2BF94F8EF.jpeg

The archlich Vecna is one of the most iconic villains of Dungeons & Dragons lore. And now you can bear witness to his necromantic magic with the Vecna Dossier! Available at no cost with your D&D Beyond account, this thrilling supplement details the legacy and statistics of the Undying King himself!

This claim unlocks the contents of this promotional supplement for use with D&D Beyond, including the supplement in digital format in the game compendium and in the searchable listings, character builder, encounters, and digital sheet.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The range part I am not arguing. What I am arguing is that when the English is parsed correctly, the actual spell Counterspell and the writeup for Venca mean precisely the same thing.
No, quite the opposite actually. Dread Counterspwll only says that he needs to see the creature who is casting, specifically not that he needs to see the casting. Remember, 5E rules do not work by analogy, it is an exceptions based system. They work as written, and @Mort take is entirely in keeping with the carefully phrased text. It does not say the same thing as Counterapell, and Suvtle Spell probably doesn't work.

He has Truesight per the block. Nowhere in the block does he have some special sight to do what you are describing. Now, SHOULD he? Yes, of course. But per the block, the language is clear. This has the same trigger conditions as Counterspell.
he is adding other things to the stats (like the lair actions from the adventure) I think it is at the begining of the adventure that says he always knows what spells you are casting no matter what.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
No, quite the opposite actually. Dread Counterspwll only says that he needs to see the creature who is casting, specifically not that he needs to see the casting. Remember, 5E rules do not work by analogy, it is an exceptions based system. They work as written, and @Mort take is entirely in keeping with the carefully phrased text. It does not say the same thing as Counterapell, and Suvtle Spell probably doesn't work.

The included adventure 100% confirms it anyway (though it should have been put in the block) Because Vecna knows any spell AS it is being cast - he doesn't have to identify it.

I maintain the block is clear - but taken with the text in the provided adventure - there's no question at all.

dave2008

Legend
Actually, no. The spell Counterspell has never worked against Subtle Spell, and the wording for Vecna's version is the same to Counterspell.
The English language is wonderful in many ways, but sometimes, I wish it only had one way to say something.

Counterspell: Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you see a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell
Dread Counterspell: Vecna utters a dread word to interrupt a creature he can see that is casting a spell.
If you can't see how Vecna's version sidesteps subtle spell I can't help. I mean they even clarify it in the text of the adventure.

he is adding other things to the stats (like the lair actions from the adventure) I think it is at the begining of the adventure that says he always knows what spells you are casting no matter what.
If you can't see how Vecna's version sidesteps subtle spell I can't help. I mean they even clarify it in the text of the adventure.
If you are adding the adventure writeup to the stat block, sure, we can agree. But speaking within the stat block, if you are in university or college, take the writeups of both sentences to an English prof, and ask them to compare. I know what the answer will be.

dave2008

Legend
Counterspell: Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you see a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell
Dread Counterspell: Vecna utters a dread word to interrupt a creature he can see that is casting a spell.
Counterspell requires that you can identify a person is casting a spell. Dread Counterspell does not. They are explicitly worded differently.

If you want Vecna to be weaker, sure, read it your way. Or, if want Vecna to be stronger read it as it is written and how it is further clarified in the adventure. It seems clear to most of the people posting which is the better interruption.

Counterspell requires that you can identify a person is casting a spell. Dread Counterspell does not. They are explicitly worded differently.

If you want Vecna to be weaker, sure, read it your way. Or, if want Vecna to be stronger read it as it is written and how it is further clarified in the adventure. It seems clear to most of the people posting which is the better interruption.
The better interpretation (I can see you are using spell check or auto-completion) is irrelevant. What matters is the RAW. I am not going to debate you on reading the english language. We can go round and round on prepositional and adverbial phrases. You can choose to believe you are right.

darjr

I crit!
That adventure, how many casters are going to get nerfed by Unholy Name? Are there spells where the caster has to utter the name of the target?

Remove ads

Remove ads