D&D 5E Get The Vecna Dossier Free At D&D Beyond

WotC is offering a free product which you can claim by signing into D&D Beyond, including Vecna’s 5E statistics. The dossier includes the stat block plus a half page or so of lore. Vecna's stat block is a CR 26 undead wizard, prior to the fallen paladin (and former bodyguard to the lich) Kas's betrayal. That means he still has his hand and eye, although he is a time traveller and can appear...

WotC is offering a free product which you can claim by signing into D&D Beyond, including Vecna’s 5E statistics.

The dossier includes the stat block plus a half page or so of lore. Vecna's stat block is a CR 26 undead wizard, prior to the fallen paladin (and former bodyguard to the lich) Kas's betrayal. That means he still has his hand and eye, although he is a time traveller and can appear in different worlds and eras.

87B34E29-DBB2-431B-8175-68D2BF94F8EF.jpeg

The archlich Vecna is one of the most iconic villains of Dungeons & Dragons lore. And now you can bear witness to his necromantic magic with the Vecna Dossier! Available at no cost with your D&D Beyond account, this thrilling supplement details the legacy and statistics of the Undying King himself!

This claim unlocks the contents of this promotional supplement for use with D&D Beyond, including the supplement in digital format in the game compendium and in the searchable listings, character builder, encounters, and digital sheet.

dave2008

Legend
HOw does A5E do it?
I don't remember what they call it, but here is my version their legendary action that replaces LR:

Unstoppable. Tiamat removes one condition or effect she is suffering. She can do so if she has at least 1 hit point, even while unconscious or incapacitated.

What I like is it doesn't add to the defensive CR this way and allows the spell to have some effect.

Reynard

Legend
I don't remember what they call it, but here is my version their legendary action that replaces LR:

Unstoppable. Tiamat removes one condition or effect she is suffering. She can do so if she has at least 1 hit point, even while unconscious or incapacitated.

What I like is it doesn't add to the defensive CR this way and allows the spell to have some effect.
That's a good one. Early in a fight it means the caster still gets to try a big move and maybe even temporarily succeed. later ina fight it means they might be able to win with a big move. LR sort of promotes spamming low level stuff for 5 rounds in hopes they use up their LRs.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
That counterspell wording is confusing, but I guess you can always ready a spell while behind cover, then release when you walk out.

Now I'm going make vecna have a weakness to in game pop culture references giving him disadvantage on attack rolls.

An immortal time traveling lich weakly begging the rogue to stop singing the contemporary elvish folk metal cover of the bard's latest hit "I got 99 problems but a lich ain't one".
I want a stat block for an immortal (deity,undead what ever) that has "Get off my lawn" and "Back in my day" as actions

dave2008

Legend
That's a good one. Early in a fight it means the caster still gets to try a big move and maybe even temporarily succeed. later ina fight it means they might be able to win with a big move. LR sort of promotes spamming low level stuff for 5 rounds in hopes they use up their LRs.
Design wise it also gives you 90 more HP to work with to either increase its defensive CR or attack CR. In Vecna's case I might give it magic resistance and another proficient save, or up the damage on its reactions, or some combination of the two

Design wise it also gives you 90 more HP to work with to either increase its defensive CR or attack CR. In Vecna's case I might give it magic resistance and another proficient save, or up the damage on its reactions, or some combination of the two
I think I prefer Legendary Resistance.

The thing is, the best save or suck effects, ones that stun you or remove actions, means that at 20th level, without around 300-500 HP, you will die before you get another turn. If Vecna gets stunned and then a Paladin, Fighter, and Warlock unload on him, he is almost certainly dead or dropped every low. Even if he recovers 80 HP, it won't be enough to save him the next round, especially if get hit with another save or suck effect.

Legendary Resistance may be brutal, but all it adds is tactics to the fight. Now you have to try and pull Vecna's legendary resistances out of him bit by bit while keeping up with his teleport, healing, and lair. If a 20th level wizard is still getting frustrated by legendary resistance, then that is on the Wizard, not on the monster. D&D is a game with a strong focus on combat, and at higher levels, it expects players to come up with tactics with their absolutely absurd amount of resources. Otherwise, you wouldn't have all those resources at high level.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
And they made it more useful to me. I'm lucky and your not. Now, if they had gone the A5e route that might have been best. But doing that on top of add cool unique powers is probably to much. No sure which method I like better, but probably this one.
That certainly is the truth. You're lucky and I'm not.

Remove ads

Remove ads