D&D 5E Get The Vecna Dossier Free At D&D Beyond

WotC is offering a free product which you can claim by signing into D&D Beyond, including Vecna’s 5E statistics. The dossier includes the stat block plus a half page or so of lore. Vecna's stat block is a CR 26 undead wizard, prior to the fallen paladin (and former bodyguard to the lich) Kas's betrayal. That means he still has his hand and eye, although he is a time traveller and can appear...

WotC is offering a free product which you can claim by signing into D&D Beyond, including Vecna’s 5E statistics.

The dossier includes the stat block plus a half page or so of lore. Vecna's stat block is a CR 26 undead wizard, prior to the fallen paladin (and former bodyguard to the lich) Kas's betrayal. That means he still has his hand and eye, although he is a time traveller and can appear in different worlds and eras.

87B34E29-DBB2-431B-8175-68D2BF94F8EF.jpeg

The archlich Vecna is one of the most iconic villains of Dungeons & Dragons lore. And now you can bear witness to his necromantic magic with the Vecna Dossier! Available at no cost with your D&D Beyond account, this thrilling supplement details the legacy and statistics of the Undying King himself!

This claim unlocks the contents of this promotional supplement for use with D&D Beyond, including the supplement in digital format in the game compendium and in the searchable listings, character builder, encounters, and digital sheet.

John Lloyd1

Explorer
I suspect that we are over thinking the significance of the way they released Vecna to Dndbeyond. It seems much more of a throwing it against the wall and seeing what sticks approach.

My supporting evidence:
  • it's done by Ray Winninger who is a manager and doesn't usually do design
  • it's not well integrated into the dndbeyond platform (it is a 'source' that doesn't appear in the source menu)
In my head the conversation from Ray goes something like:
  • Venca is going into the next season of Stranger Things, we should do something for that
  • Hey, I haven't got my hands dirty in a while, maybe I should give it a go
  • We just bought this new software thingy, is there anyway we could use that?

Hussar

Legend
How are pdfs obsolescent? A format being around for a while doesn't automatically make it out of date or less useful. Name a format that does everything pdfs do better.
Well, off the top of my head:

Epub - allows reading on various devices and will automatically reformat text so that I can read it in any orientation on any size screen. Also allows me to change the background color, automatically search text, change font, change font size for my poor old eyes, do I need more?

How's that for better?

Epub has many advantages, but it is not better in all respects. Tables generally are rendered very poorly. Epub is fantastic for novels, but I wouldn't use it for scientific texts and I also generally far prefer PDF to Epub for gaming books.
I prefer to dump the text into a Word document so I can edit it easily. Or just reference it on my computer or phone if I want to look something up. Preferably computer, so I don't have to keep switching glasses.

Hussar

Legend
Epub has many advantages, but it is not better in all respects. Tables generally are rendered very poorly. Epub is fantastic for novels, but I wouldn't use it for scientific texts and I also generally far prefer PDF to Epub for gaming books.
I'll freely admit that my tech knowledge is pretty limited. But, I do know that I can read something like the Dragon+ articles on my phone a heck of a lot easier than I can read any PDF and since I do most of my reading on my phone, things that work on my phone are better for me.

PDF doesn't work on phones worth a darn.

Never minding that most pdf's are formatted portrait, so they don't work worth a damn on a computer screen either.

I'm not sure what exactly is better than pdf, but, I do know that people who do know a lot more about this than I do keep telling me that pdf is a terrible format. And, after trying to read pdf's on my computer? Yeah, I can totally get behind that.

I'll freely admit that my tech knowledge is pretty limited. But, I do know that I can read something like the Dragon+ articles on my phone a heck of a lot easier than I can read any PDF and since I do most of my reading on my phone, things that work on my phone are better for me.

PDF doesn't work on phones worth a darn.

Never minding that most pdf's are formatted portrait, so they don't work worth a damn on a computer screen either.

I'm not sure what exactly is better than pdf, but, I do know that people who do know a lot more about this than I do keep telling me that pdf is a terrible format. And, after trying to read pdf's on my computer? Yeah, I can totally get behind that.
The main purpose of a PDF is to preserve the formatting of a document. But why would you want to preserve the formatting? It's the text that matters. Formatting is often an annoyance for my dyslexia and poor eyesight, I want to be able to easily change it. And PDFs don't allow that.

Hussar

Legend
The main purpose of a PDF is to preserve the formatting of a document. But why would you want to preserve the formatting? It's the text that matters. Formatting is often an annoyance for my dyslexia and poor eyesight, I want to be able to easily change it. And PDFs don't allow that.
Tell me about it. I haven't read a dead tree book in a lot of years. If it's not on my Kindle or Apple readers, I'm not going to read it. Heck, I bought the core 3 for 5e, and everything else is digital. Why would I want a physical copy of a book so I can try to parse eye bleedingly small text. No thanks.

Tell me about it. I haven't read a dead tree book in a lot of years. If it's not on my Kindle or Apple readers, I'm not going to read it. Heck, I bought the core 3 for 5e, and everything else is digital. Why would I want a physical copy of a book so I can try to parse eye bleedingly small text. No thanks.
I have read print books recently- I'm my job I can't avoid it, but I much prefer ereaders for exactly that reason. Nice big letters and a dyslexia friendly font.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Its the text that matters to you. To others. Its the document that matters.

And I read pdfs on my desktop or my Kindle just fine. So everybody's different.

Its the text that matters to you. To others. Its the document that matters.
Why? The rules are in the text, not in the choice of font.
And I read pdfs on my desktop or my Kindle just fine. So everybody's different.
Sure. Some people have good eyesight and some do not. And we certainly shouldn't cater to the less able.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads