D&D 5E Get The Vecna Dossier Free At D&D Beyond

WotC is offering a free product which you can claim by signing into D&D Beyond, including Vecna’s 5E statistics. The dossier includes the stat block plus a half page or so of lore. Vecna's stat block is a CR 26 undead wizard, prior to the fallen paladin (and former bodyguard to the lich) Kas's betrayal. That means he still has his hand and eye, although he is a time traveller and can appear...

WotC is offering a free product which you can claim by signing into D&D Beyond, including Vecna’s 5E statistics.

The dossier includes the stat block plus a half page or so of lore. Vecna's stat block is a CR 26 undead wizard, prior to the fallen paladin (and former bodyguard to the lich) Kas's betrayal. That means he still has his hand and eye, although he is a time traveller and can appear in different worlds and eras.

87B34E29-DBB2-431B-8175-68D2BF94F8EF.jpeg

The archlich Vecna is one of the most iconic villains of Dungeons & Dragons lore. And now you can bear witness to his necromantic magic with the Vecna Dossier! Available at no cost with your D&D Beyond account, this thrilling supplement details the legacy and statistics of the Undying King himself!

This claim unlocks the contents of this promotional supplement for use with D&D Beyond, including the supplement in digital format in the game compendium and in the searchable listings, character builder, encounters, and digital sheet.

Man you sound like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about this.

Also WotC only just purchased D&D Beyond, I could see future products coming with codes to unlock stuff on Beyond.

Or, I remember what a $&>/show the 4e days were, largely in part due to proven track record of WoTC mishandling their in house and contracted electronic program support (that is still onging today, how'd that Dark Alliance game turn out, btw?), the horrific workculture issues that were allegedly rampant in WoTC, despite what they are now trying to revise, and the fact that searchable pdfs of roleplaying products are just as effective as their stupid website, far cheaper for the actual customer, and are more or less the industry standard for literally every other Tabletop RPG except D&D.

I don't think it's the free part that's bugging some folks; more that the free thing is tied to a specific service, and isn't something you can just download freely and use wherever. I don't recall such complaining about, say, the Plane Shift PDFs.

Precisely this.

You can in fact just download it freely and use it wherever. You click Print in your browser, choose Print to PDF (which comes automatically these days if your computer runs Windows), and save it to your drive. That's it.

But really, even if you can't do that for some strange reason, why would it bug you that they're giving something away for free that you don't want for whatever reason?

This still requires me to purchase the books and have a subscription service for their website. It also doesn't result in searchable pdfs with bookmarked links to different categories and tables (stuff that many pdf files have). It also doesn't address my main concern: I dont want to have an acount with D&D Beyond. I didn't want myself associated originally with the cultural cesspool that is Twitch, nor do I want a Facebook account, nor do I want to link my google email. I despise social media and do not want any sort of overlap what-so-ever. I'll concede I've not checked if the purchase to being directly under WoTC has changed this detail or not but initially you could not even create an account with a twitch account. I raised my concerns about this over the product's beta development, just as I did my concerns about having to both purchase the books AND have a subscription. Additionally I do not want any part of a service that can be arbitrarily taken away from me at any point if I am putting money into it. The addition of an offline mode would allow one to make a backup to prevent that from happening (which is why they don't want to do it). Frankly at this point D&D Beyond to me is a poisoned well, one which I want no part of.

Reynard

Legend
Frankly at this point D&D Beyond to me is a poisoned well, one which I want no part of.
It is possible now that WotC owns Beyond that there will be better integration and they will somehow be able to link your dead tree purchase with you Beyond account. I don't know how likely that is but I am almost certain even if they do that it won't result in a PDF because WotC continues to refuse to join the rest of the industry -- and if the Vecna stuff is any indication, they are actually pulling back even farther on PDF accessibility. Frankly I'm surprised they put out the Monstrous Compendium entry in PDF.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It is possible now that WotC owns Beyond that there will be better integration and they will somehow be able to link your dead tree purchase with you Beyond account. I don't know how likely that is but I am almost certain even if they do that it won't result in a PDF because WotC continues to refuse to join the rest of the industry -- and if the Vecna stuff is any indication, they are actually pulling back even farther on PDF accessibility. Frankly I'm surprised they put out the Monstrous Compendium entry in PDF.
I mean, PDF is kind of an outdated model. I don’t use Beyond except for occasional messing about, but it is much easier for me to use on the phone than read a PDF.

This still requires me to purchase the books and have a subscription service for their website. It also doesn't result in searchable pdfs with bookmarked links to different categories and tables (stuff that many pdf files have). It also doesn't address my main concern: I dont want to have an acount with D&D Beyond. I didn't want myself associated originally with the cultural cesspool that is Twitch, nor do I want a Facebook account, nor do I want to link my google email. I despise social media and do not want any sort of overlap what-so-ever. I'll concede I've not checked if the purchase to being directly under WoTC has changed this detail or not but initially you could not even create an account with a twitch account. I raised my concerns about this over the product's beta development, just as I did my concerns about having to both purchase the books AND have a subscription. Additionally I do not want any part of a service that can be arbitrarily taken away from me at any point if I am putting money into it. The addition of an offline mode would allow one to make a backup to prevent that from happening (which is why they don't want to do it). Frankly at this point D&D Beyond to me is a poisoned well, one which I want no part of.
So you seem to have a bunch of misconceptions. One you don’t need a subscription. The only thing a sub does is allow you to share content and allow you to make extra characters (and some free stuff). I don’t have a sub for example.
While you don’t get PDFs what you do get still have bookmarks, and links to most things. The Twitch thing was because D&D Beyond was originally owned by Twitch’s owner. It’s not required anymore. (You do need to link an account, but I am not sure why that bothers people). The Beyond App allows you to download your purchases and read them offline.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
1. To get this free thing, it does not require you to purchase anything;
2. To get this free thing, it does not require a subscription service to anything.
3. It's WAY too short to need to search. We're not talking about a book here. It's literally a couple pages of a Stranger Things themed Vecna stat and description. Nobody is searching this thing or bookmarking anything (what would you do, bookmark one of two pages?)
4. I don't think it's associated with Twitch anymore?
5. It's definitely not associated with Facebook.
6. There is no social media overlap required to obtain this book.
7. It's quite obvious you have not checked. I am guessing for years now, since your description of DNDBeyond and how it works doesn't really match how it works these days and sounds like it's from long ago.
8. You don't need to put any money into anything to receive this free product.
9. Again, you can just print or save to PDF this free thing. I think there is now an app to download your stuff from DDB too now

None of your objections seem related to this actual free product. Your knowledge of DDB seems kind of badly out of date?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It’s not actually Stranger Things themed.
I mean, yes and no. Yes it doesn't mention Stranger Things. But no, they kinda nerfed Vecna to make him more defeatable by a lower level party because of Stranger Things. At least I think that's what happened? I could be wrong. Is it your impression this is the full version of Vecna?

Remove ads

Remove ads