D&D 5E Get The Vecna Dossier Free At D&D Beyond

WotC is offering a free product which you can claim by signing into D&D Beyond, including Vecna’s 5E statistics.

The dossier includes the stat block plus a half page or so of lore. Vecna's stat block is a CR 26 undead wizard, prior to the fallen paladin (and former bodyguard to the lich) Kas's betrayal. That means he still has his hand and eye, although he is a time traveller and can appear in different worlds and eras.

87B34E29-DBB2-431B-8175-68D2BF94F8EF.jpeg

The archlich Vecna is one of the most iconic villains of Dungeons & Dragons lore. And now you can bear witness to his necromantic magic with the Vecna Dossier! Available at no cost with your D&D Beyond account, this thrilling supplement details the legacy and statistics of the Undying King himself!

This claim unlocks the contents of this promotional supplement for use with D&D Beyond, including the supplement in digital format in the game compendium and in the searchable listings, character builder, encounters, and digital sheet.

Last edited:

Because it completely sidesteps the issue at hand: the content is not being distributed broadly, it is being gated behind a DNDB account -- which, even if free, does cost the user in the form of yet another data siphon and ad targeting system. Soem people care about such things. And this is not even to mention that when you print to PDF (as I did) it is janky and poorly laid out (because it is meant for a screen).

Simply stated: "Ignore your concerns and settle for less" is not advice given in good faith. It's dismissive.
No one is entitled to free stuff.

Everything is transactional. You can't expect to get the stuff if you decline the transaction.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The fact that a CR 26 needs minions and lair actions speaks volumes on design issues, and design philosophy. And if he is low in the Initiative chain, he dies. No CR 26 should have to need to be win Initiative to survive.
I disagree. The idea that one against many puts the one at a significant disadvantage is a feature, not a bug. Legendary actions, lair actions, and multiple reactions per round can all help make a single enemy a meaningful threat to a group of adventurers, if you want to do the solo boss fight thing. But also, bosses should employ minions. It’s in their name. And going up against 4 people on your own is a stupid thing to do, smart bosses shouldn’t do it anyway.

Just got finished reviewing my notes over a one shot I ran with Vecna last night. Overall of the party has zero knowledge of his potential in the meta sense he is deadly just due to having so many different ways of chipping parties down while staying relatively stable himself. The party wasn't expecting him to act like a melee gish and by the time they got a hold of his tactics 2/5 of the party was down and one was dominated with little chance to break out in time to make a difference. They ended up using DI to run away.
**The scenario was a 5 story cylinder chamber about 60 across with a spiral staircase on the inside wall with low walls proving cover every landing. Party started in the middle and Vecna started at the bottom. Sort of a race to the top objective to close a portal where Vecna is attempting to draw power from the negative plane to transcend his limits as a lich.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I mean, PDF is kind of an outdated model. I don’t use Beyond except for occasional messing about, but it is much easier for me to use on the phone than read a PDF.
Yes, PDF is an old format. D&D Beyond, which I use for all my 5e games, offers a lot of great functionality. The reason many of us would like a PDF is that we want an electronic copy that we can keep accessing no matter what. Editions go out of print, online services change or are discontinued. Even when WotC had decided not to sell electronic versions of D&D products at all, I kept using my AD&D PDFs that I had bought long ago. PDFs, for me, are not meant to be in place of DDB. They would be an additional format.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
I like it, since I was already using D&D Beyond quite a lot, I get free stuff. And the more reluctance people have to signing up, the more free stuff I get. It's great.
How does people not wanting to sign up get you more stuff? It would be the opposite of it had any impact at all.

Also, it's weird you would rather have fewer people have access to the fun,rather than more as multiple formats would allow.

How does people not wanting to sign up get you more stuff?
The thing with bribery is if it doesn't work the next step is to offer a bigger bribe. Hence the regular diet of free stuff. I'm sure if everyone was signed up to D&D Beyond the free stuff would dry up.
Also, it's weird you would rather have fewer people have access to the fun,rather than more as multiple formats would allow.
Why should I care about what other people do? I don't expect them to care about what I do.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases