D&D 4E Get WotC 4e's Online Character Builder to work or get a sub

Fuepepe

First Post
I put in a request as well. I'm in a 4th Edition campaign that runs on Thursdays and half the party hasn't even leveled yet. Very frustrating.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The day that they take the 4e tools offline for good, WotC is dead to me.

It's not a matter of "if" but rather "when" :(

I keep trying to find ways to like what they present now ... but every time I turn around there is another design decision where they threw out something from 4e without understanding what it's value was.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I keep trying to find ways to like what they present now ... but every time I turn around there is another design decision where they threw out something from 4e without understanding what it's value was.
Yeah, I was initially excited about what they could do with the new game, and I was very active in the playtest surveys at first, but as it progressed, I could see that all my feedback was being ignored and they were taking the game in a direction I didn't like.

Monte Cook's idiotic blog posts didn't help, and neither did Mike Mearls throwing a bunch of 4e concepts under the bus to score cheap points with lapsed players. I mean, I get why they did it, but it really turned me off.

Having said that, I read the PHB, and there's some good stuff in it, but like you, I found too many things changed just for the sake of sanitizing the game of any traces of 4e. Some of the stuff they kept was either poorly implemented or a shadow of its former self.

Ultimately, the design choices made lead to a game that doesn't do what I want without having to rewrite half of it, and at this stage of my life, I don't have time for that kind of thing. Even if I were to switch over, I can't be rewriting half my campaign setting again - I don't have time for that either. And this is a game in a homebrew setting that's been going on for over 20 years, so I'm not about to start over now.

All I need to do is take enough time to figure out the offline compendium. Ideally, I'd like something that could take the place of Power2ool as well, but nothing else I've tried has the same degree of utility and ease of use.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Ultimately, the design choices made lead to a game that doesn't do what I want without having to rewrite half of it, and at this stage of my life, I don't have time for that kind of thing.
Some things are easy enough start play at level 5 for instance so you can have BDH.
But for some reason I feel like I would be porting 4e rules wholesale from giving out general proficiency (gain of 1 per 2 levels after 5 on attacks and saves and skills) to changing all saving throws to Fortitude/Reflex/Will (supporting much wider character designs with competence) to rebuilding just about every monster they are boring af in 5e. To using 4e flanking as is.. And I am not even happy with short rests being the caliber they are (1e assumed a 10 minute recuperation after every fight, didnt have mechanics but implied avoiding exhaustion) or the idea of just adjusting them without rebalancing every bloody class. Then not having abilities which trigger off of bloodied well there goes one of the mechanics inducing the sense of heroic turn around you see in well just about every fictional hero fight (big bursty healing every fight being another).

At some level i think they ravaged a lot of "feel" factors of the game where the mechanics back up the fiction of the tiers of play... and the stories I want to experience in D&D seem better suited for 4e out of the box.

MwaO

Adventurer
This is a thread about specifically addressing getting WotC DDI to work. Please start a new thread if you want to talk about 4e related to it.

darjr

I crit!
I'm floored that they keep this going. I might have to try it just to see. Can new accounts be made? How much does it cost?

MwaO

Adventurer
I'm floored that they keep this going. I might have to try it just to see. Can new accounts be made? How much does it cost?

Yes, new accounts can be made and the link is in the first post. It costs about $75/year or $10/month. The $10/month subscription for a month lets you download every single Dragon/Dungeon magazine from 4e, so that's a great value for a month if for no other reason.

Remove ads