Level Up (A5E) Getting Started With Level Up

Reynard

Legend
I read the Fighter class entry last night and find the design really interesting and dynamic. I'll be curious to see how it works in play.

They’re fully compatible. They are adjusted to make them as powerful as their CR says they are with CR math that works, so balance-wise they should work even better than O5E sources. At least that was the intention!
Also, the computation on the encounter difficulty is different between o5e and LU. LU's way is simpler but has more solid suggestions (like avoid using monsters with CR higher than 50% average party level)
I'm not sure how it would work if one used o5e encounter building budgets with a5e CR

Reynard

Legend
I guess this is as good a place to ask as any: @Morrus GatePass Gazette #0 is full price on DTRPG. Is that right? I might be misremembering, but I thought Issue #0 was free? Thanks.

I'm running a canned 5e campaign. I just had my players build characters with the new heritage/class system. Most are used to 5e so it really wasn't a huge leap for them and they've taken to it just fine.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
I'm running a canned 5e campaign. I just had my players build characters with the new heritage/class system. Most are used to 5e so it really wasn't a huge leap for them and they've taken to it just fine.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of this approach. Introduce a few A5e elements at a time (origins, new class, monsters, spells, journies, etc.) and before you know it you'll be running the full A5e system.

Reynard

Legend
So, I think I am going to run a short dragon slaying adventure as my first trial. I am inviting two different groups: the Casuals, and the Munchkins. I'm curious to see how the former feel about the added complexity, and how the latter "utilize" all the new options.

I think I want to do five 6th level PCs against what turns out to be a twinned pair of young black dragons (up until that point they will have been told it was one beast). That's a deadly encounter, but its a one shot, and they will be able to mostly nova. Does that seem reasonable for a first test?

TheHand

Adventurer
So, I think I am going to run a short dragon slaying adventure as my first trial. I am inviting two different groups: the Casuals, and the Munchkins. I'm curious to see how the former feel about the added complexity, and how the latter "utilize" all the new options.

I think I want to do five 6th level PCs against what turns out to be a twinned pair of young black dragons (up until that point they will have been told it was one beast). That's a deadly encounter, but its a one shot, and they will be able to mostly nova. Does that seem reasonable for a first test?
Sounds like a fun experiment! I'd love to hear the highlights from both playthru's

Remove ads