• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ghost In The Shell: SAC, Motion Pictures, and more!

Del

First Post
I love Ghost In The Shell. I saw the first movie in 1998 and I was blown away. I had seen the Dark Horse comic series in 94-95 and paid it little mind as it was well into the series run.

Then the movie in 98. Wow. Real spook storylines in an incredible battle of a robotic future.

I like the TV series too. I thought: "20 minutes, wtf?" Then I sit down with 3 episodes and it rocks. Not a huge production as the movies but really well thought out storywise.

I ask you, is the 2nd movie up to the bar set by the first or does it lack? Referring to "GITS2 - Innocence" ... I wonder about that storyline if the Major gets permastuck in the kid frame.

Let this be the GITS fanpeoples thread.

Planesdragon

First Post
Innocence is, well, different. It's a lot more cerebral than either the first movie or SAC, kind of like Perfect Blue (?). It shares a continuity with the first movie, where the Major didn't so much get stuck in a kid's body as she was merged with a S.A.C. and moved wholly onto the net; it's not a bad watch, if you don't mind a dark movie.

S.A.C. is great. There's depth to both section 9 and to the individual characters that neither movie managed to pull off. Although I do find myself wondering if some of the clothing was rendered-on in the translation, or was there in the original...

Ah, well.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I really enjoyed Innocence. It was very well animated and while the story was confusing at times it was enjoyable overall. The story being centered on Batou was good for me as well since he is my favorite character.

SAC is much better than either movie IMO. The addition of the Tachikoma/Fuchikoma is great for the tone and feel of the show, plus it adds in a nice sub-plot from what I've seen so far. I'm waiting for DVD's 6 & 7 of the show to get caught up, then Gig2 starts. The show has a lot more story to tell due to it's open-ended nature and I enjoy that, seeing the minor characters get a chance to have thier stories told in more depth is great. Of course the animation isn't up to the standards of the movies but due to budget reasons that is impossible. My favorite cartoon/anime.

I've got the original manga but haven't read the sequal. Is it similar to the second movie or totally different?

frankthedm

First Post
Sac has a real beautiful CG intro that leads to disapointment when the episode's animation style takes over. Most of that characters are either unlikable or pathetic, with the lead female coming of as a bitch. The spider droids are very amusing at least.

The first movie was cool, well worth the 40 mile drive to see it in the theater.

Last edited:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by frankthedm
Sac has a real beautiful CG intro that leads to disapointment when the episode's animation style takes over. Most of that characters are either unlikable or pathetic, with the lead female coming of as a bitch. The spider droids are very amusing at least.

Wow, I don't think I've heard any negative comments about Ghost in the Shell before. I always liked the show, especially the Tachikomas. I think they're one of the greatest additions to the anime, especially when they began to develop their own individuality.

I wasn't that fond of Innocence though. I can't realy explain it; I just liked the other movie and the two series much better. I've never read the manga though; never cared much for manga.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
frankthedm said:

The first movie was cool, well worth the 40 mile drive to see it in the theater.

I for one don't really care for the CG style of the intro and am glad it's not all like that. But I'm curious what characters are pathetic? I can see someone not liking them, but I'm not sure any of the main characters is "pathetic", unless you mean pathetic as in a badly created caracter.

And as for the Major being a bitch...well that is what most people tend to call strong willed women IME.

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
frankthedm said:
Sac has a real beautiful CG intro that leads to disapointment when the episode's animation style takes over. .

Wow. I thought exactly the opposite. I'd heard what a great series SAC was, and was very disappointed when the CGI opening started. I almost put it back in the sleeve then but I try to watch at least a couple episode of anything I rent. I was releived when they went to traditional animation for everything but the opening. I find it a very clean yet detailed style.

Remove ads