• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ghosts in combat

svwilson

First Post
I want to have a ghost which relies on its ghostly melee weapons, rather than its touch attacks. (The idea is that he's not really aware that he's a ghost.)

A ghost which has manifested is incoporeal, so it can affect opponents with its touch attacks but not with physical attacks (such as ordinary ghost weapons). But using a magic ghost weapon it can affect opponents 50% of the time.

1) This would mean that a ghost threatens adjacent squares only if its using its touch attacks, but not if it's using an ordinary weapon, and half the time if it's using a magic weapon. Is that right?

2) Say the ghost can't get an threaten or get an attack of opportunity on an opponent. (Either it's used the attack this round already, or it's flailing away with a useless weapon.) What prevents the opponent from just running through the ghost's square?

3) Even if an attack of opportunity succeeds, can you just run through an incorporeal creature's square? Or does the attack stop you?

4) Say the base creature of a ghost had abilities that affected its Con or relied on its Con score (such as a Barbarian's Rage). The ghost has no Con score. Do I treat a raging ghost as if it still had one -- that is, give it the extra hit points it would gain by raging, and base the duration on the Con the ghost had when it was alive?

-- Shawn

Otterscrubber

First Post
If you want to make a ghost who uses equipment and/or armor simply give any weapons or armor the ghost tough special ability. This allows it to not only affect incorporeal targets but to be used by them as well and will work as I think you want them to.

shilsen

Adventurer
svwilson said:
4) Say the base creature of a ghost had abilities that affected its Con or relied on its Con score (such as a Barbarian's Rage). The ghost has no Con score. Do I treat a raging ghost as if it still had one -- that is, give it the extra hit points it would gain by raging, and base the duration on the Con the ghost had when it was alive?

-- Shawn

No. The ghost's Str and Con is not affected (since it has no score for each), so it gains no real benefits while raging. If it was an undead with a Str score, it would have gained the Str benefit, but a ghost does not. If it does still choose to rage, the rage (with all its attendant negatives) lasts 3 rds and that's it.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I think SVWilson and I are planning for the same encounter. :)

I was going to post a similar thread when I saw this one.

I was going to create a ghost with a ghost touch axe.

Can he use it while on the ethereal? My guess is no, since the axe is still corporeal, he wouldn't be able to grab it, right?

The MM lists two sets of ACs for the ghost, but never really clarifies them. The second entry lists full plate, shield, etc. When do those count?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
die_kluge said:
I think SVWilson and I are planning for the same encounter. :)

I was going to post a similar thread when I saw this one.

I was going to create a ghost with a ghost touch axe.

Can he use it while on the ethereal? My guess is no, since the axe is still corporeal, he wouldn't be able to grab it, right?
Not while entirely ethereal.

However when manifested, he can use it just fine.

Note however that a ghost will probably only use items that were on his body when he died, not any other items lying around. Note also that he makes use of the ghost-version of the weapon, not the real thing, which will still be sitting by his corpse.
The MM lists two sets of ACs for the ghost, but never really clarifies them. The second entry lists full plate, shield, etc. When do those count?
On the ethereal plane. Read the section marked "ghostly equipment" in the ghost entry.

svwilson

First Post
Otterscrubber said:
If you want to make a ghost who uses equipment and/or armor simply give any weapons or armor the ghost tough special ability. This allows it to not only affect incorporeal targets but to be used by them as well and will work as I think you want them to.

Perhaps, but according to the rules the guy would have had to die while using a ghost-touch weapon, and for this scenario I don't think that would work. (I don't want to say more 'cuz my friends may read this.)

In any case, what about the general question of passing through an incorporeal creature?

DarkMaster

First Post
shilsen said:
No. The ghost's Str and Con is not affected (since it has no score for each), so it gains no real benefits while raging. If it was an undead with a Str score, it would have gained the Str benefit, but a ghost does not. If it does still choose to rage, the rage (with all its attendant negatives) lasts 3 rds and that's it.
Why 3 round, that implies a 10-11 Constitution, I would not even allow it since the ghost doesn't have constitution score. The rage ability is linked to constitution, it is only logic to not allow it at all when a creature doesn't have score for it. For example do you allow the ghost with STR - to lift object like a 10-11 STR character ? No the ghost has no strenght therefore he cannot perform the lift activity not even lifting 0 pounds.

svwilson

First Post
DarkMaster said:
Why 3 round, that implies a 10-11 Constitution, I would not even allow it since the ghost doesn't have constitution score. The rage ability is linked to constitution, it is only logic to not allow it at all when a creature doesn't have score for it. For example do you allow the ghost with STR - to lift object like a 10-11 STR character ? No the ghost has no strenght therefore he cannot perform the lift activity not even lifting 0 pounds.

The MM does say "Some creatures lack certain ability scores. These creatures do not have an ability score of 0 -- they lack the ability altogether. The modifier for a nonability is +0".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads